Favorite Version of Team Fortress

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.

Whats your favorite version of Team Fortress

QuakeWorld TeamFortress
29%
NetQuake TeamFortress
38%
Custom TF
19%
MegaTF
14%

Total votes: 21

frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Well, most of what we said here were personal opinions. We both have the right to have them, and I personally respect that. :)
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

I first heard of Quake in June of 2009, then it was for modding purposes, but as I learned more and more, I began to love Quake, its communities, and all of the awesome capabilities it has, that being said I got around to trying Quake online, I tried it on another computer because the graphics card I had at the time didn't run anything but software Quake and even that ran slow, I enjoyed multiplayer, but it is impossible for me to win, and I rarely get a score of +10, (I kill my self with things on accident a lot.), I then thought about some explanations, other then me just being horrible at it, the one that came to reason was, all the people who still play Quake are amazing at it, they have played it for years and are practically a pro. I eventually tried Team Fortress, but because of the high pings I got I couldn't play it, although when my ping was in a playable state, I loved MegaTF.

In early January I got the orange box set for the Xbox 360, it comes with Team Fortress 2 (None of the important updates, like fixes and class stuff, no new maps, mainly just vanilla TF 2.) and I was blown away by the awesomeness of it! I got better and it was awesome, I still play it, I thought this is Team Fortress and its amazing.

Then recently I got to play NetQuake TeamFortress with Orions TF Bots, and I realized that Team Fortress 2 (For the Xbox 360) was nothing compared to Quake's Team Fortress. I now know why it is so amazing.

Even tho Orions TF bots owned me it was amazing!
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Team Xlink wrote:I first heard of Quake in June of 2009..

..the graphics card I had at the time didn't run anything but software Quake and even that ran slow..
:?

Even my toaster can run Quake..
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

Downsider wrote:
Team Xlink wrote:I first heard of Quake in June of 2009..

..the graphics card I had at the time didn't run anything but software Quake and even that ran slow..
:?

Even my toaster can run Quake..
Read through this post, if you really don't think it could run it.

http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

It's the 21st century. The likeliness of not being able to run Quake is at an all-time low. You have to have something worse than a 486 DX4 if you seriously can not run Quake. Even THAT can run Quake, even on GL ports with a 3D card 2 generations behind the Rage128
i should not be here
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

leileilol wrote:It's the 21st century. The likeliness of not being able to run Quake is at an all-time low. You have to have something worse than a 486 DX4 if you seriously can not run Quake. Even THAT can run Quake, even on GL ports with a 3D card 2 generations behind the Rage128
It wouldn't run non software Quake. Why would that thread exist if it could run stock GLQuake, or Darplaces?
Pulseczar

Post by Pulseczar »

I hate TF2. It's so bland and dumbed-down, compared to CustomTF, and even regular TF or Mega. Can't believe all these players are playing that crap, when we could all be having great, large games of CustomTF. But it's all about the gee whiz effects. Who cares about gameplay?
Ston3r

Post by Ston3r »

Which version of CustomTF, American or Aussie?
I think CustomTF 1.2 (aussie) was the best. Super balanced game play, reminded me of TF 2.9
Pulseczar

Post by Pulseczar »

I haven't really played CustomTF 1.2 / Aussie other than a bit of the Coop version. Weren't you the one that created that version? I know you used to tout it all the time.
Team Xlink

Re: Favorite Version of Team Fortress

Post by Team Xlink »

[quote="Team Xlink"]Whats your favorite version of Team Fortress?

My favorite version of Team Fortress is AGR.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Team Xlink wrote:It wouldn't run non software Quake. Why would that thread exist if it could run stock GLQuake, or Darplaces?
Yeah, I'm replying to a several months old post but have you tried the MH Direct3D8.1 wrapped engines ...

http://quakeone.com/mh

The best implementation of MH's wrapper is probably the one found in ProQuake 4.31 or higher, largely because I kept optimizing the performance and working with information that MH provided me. [And other than an update of DirectFitz, it is the only other engine using an updated wrapper version. Anyway, the dx8 build of ProQuake is only a bit slower than the OpenGL version. And I mean "a bit" ... it doesn't suffer from any irregularities or frame drops or any other performance issues. It is fast.]

If you have any ability to run any hardware accelerated games, I'd be shocked if one of the non-software ProQuake builds didn't run.

There is an ezQuake version using MH's wrapper. If I recall, there are a fair number of problems with it ...
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
metalmodman

Post by metalmodman »

The unpatched version of TFC, when you could place a sentry any where, before they made the medic and scout slower and before they removed bunny hoping. TFC had some of the best CTF maps I have ever seen, plus accurate head shot detection.