Favorite Version of Team Fortress

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.

Whats your favorite version of Team Fortress

QuakeWorld TeamFortress
29%
NetQuake TeamFortress
38%
Custom TF
19%
MegaTF
14%

Total votes: 21

Team Xlink

Favorite Version of Team Fortress

Post by Team Xlink »

Whats your favorite version of Team Fortress?

My favorite version of Team Fortress is MegaTF:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Fortress
MegaTF was another popular Team Fortress mod which featured new enhancements to each class like proximity mines, laser drones, and airMirvs. The community slimmed after the popular East Coast and West Coast Biscuit servers were shut down for unknown reasons. There is a MegaTF mod currently in development for the Amnesia server called "MegaTF United" being developed by XavioR and other Team Fortress modders.
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Where's TF2, for the modern gamer?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

The netquake one is the original one, and it has the freaking epic intro!

I never liked any of the derivatives at all, not even my own incomplete one!
i should not be here
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

That is an epic intro!
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

TF Classic.
Orion

Post by Orion »

QWTF and CustomTF.

I like both the original and TF clones, like HL's TFC. I didn't like MegaTF very much , though.

I'm also working on a TF clone for Quake, adapted to work on CTF maps, not only TF maps. :wink:
But I don't know if I'll release it...
Maybe I'll post a screenshot on 'What are you working on?' topic.
OneManClan

Post by OneManClan »

Hey guys,

If any of this 'old skool' TF talk has made anyone miss actually playing the game, check out the BIG TF Session held every Sunday at 22:00 GMT @ tastyspleen.net:26666.

It's called 'AGR', and it's derived from CustomTF

More info at: www.customtf.com

regards,

OneManClan
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

None of them. (This is due to lack of decent bot support, coupled with dial-up precluding actual play online)

I've actually played Weapons Factory Quake 2, but again the bots (and the mod) kinda sucked. (There was also the frikbot 0.9 TF mod, but that didn't work very well either...)

I probably would like HellsmashTF, but that's not going to happen until I get proper bots to support it and an engine with things like IQM, Ragdoll (so I can have cool stuff like killing somebody near a ledge and seeing them fall over the edge like in UT2k4), and CSQC. (oh, and also when I can actually model, so I can do things like having sajt with a huge chaingun laughing in badass cutscene)
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

I am not exactly a "modern" player, but I'd vote TF2 if possible. Never was a fan from the original one, but loved Valve's version.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
c0burn

Post by c0burn »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:None of them. (This is due to lack of decent bot support, coupled with dial-up precluding actual play online)
Did you ever play Coffee's TF Bots?
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

IS it possible to edit a poll?
Spike

Post by Spike »

editing a poll would invalidate it.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

c0burn wrote: Did you ever play Coffee's TF Bots?
Totally forgot about those, though I do have a good excuse:

At the time they came out, they needed a custom engine to run (TomazQuake or something) which was something I couldn't run at the time, so no I never did get to play Coffee's TF Bots...

After that, I just plain forgot about them.

I wonder if they're still availible for download after the evileplanet / ign trainwreck?
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

http://forumplanet.gamespy.com/in_the_n ... 739544/p1/
Here is a certainly unexpected one. As part of the Quake Expo, coffee, author of Team Fortress Bots has made an initial beta release that he is very proud of. I just had the pleasure of playing around with them, the system is very sophisticated and the bots are a lot of fun.

Team Fortress Bots Released [7.12.03]

The music playing during the intro movie of Team Fortress is from the opera Carmina Burana by composer Carl Orff. He had written many pieces before this one. However, he knew this opera was his magnum opus, and he told his publisher: "Everything which I've written so far and which you've unfortunately published you can now pulp. My collected works begin with Carmina Burana."

That's about how I feel with Team Fortress Bots.

In other words, everything I've worked on before has built up to this: bot gameplay, deathmatch sports, teamwork, distinct game modes. This is the mod that I sit down to play.

Of course they aren't perfect, and this is only a beta. There were features left out, and I've only released 24 maps. But they play each of the 6 game modes well, they'll take your orders and use their class to their best advantage.

The install process seems daunting, but isn't too bad. Here's a breakdown of what you need: Quake (obviously), Team Fortress 2.8 (Website, Direct Link ~ 5MB), TomazQuake 1.46 (Website, Direct Link ~1MB), TFBots 0.7 (Website, Direct Link ~ 2MB), and Mappack1.zip ~ 16MB. Read readbots.txt to see how to load up and throw down with these bad boys.
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/plan ... bots07.zip
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Cool got it, thanks! Now to get a few maps and try this sucker. Tomorrow. Because I need sleeeeeep...