Looking for a few good monsters...

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Looking for a few good monsters...

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

I'm considering doing a monster compilation mod with source included, and where source is unavailible, to recode said monster, and once that's done, perhaps do a zoo like demo map for them all to be seen on.

So, I was wondering, what non-id monsters that have appeared in quake do people actually like, and would like to see in such a format?
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Willy the spider isn't too bad.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Willy the Spider has QC files.
i should not be here
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Oh, right.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

CheapAlert wrote:Willy the Spider has QC files.
Perfectly valid. I just meant that they CAN have their own QC files, but in cases where the QC is unavailible, recode them. For example, say Abyss of Pandemonium's monsters, and whatnot.

Maybe it would simply be better for me to list some monsters, and have people fill in any that I've forgotten...
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Monster List Current, let me know If I've missed any.

Non-Affiliated (i.e. not part of a missionpack) Originals:
Willy Spider
Redback Spider
Manga Babe / Hell Kitten
Blarg
Snakeman
Cyberdemon
Drone
Nun Sarge (from Hard Target mod)

Missionpack Originals
SoA:
Scourge (big ass scorpion from SoA with nailguns for claws)
Deathball
Gremlin
Armagon

DoE:
Wraith
SuperWraith
Egyptian Morph guy
Electric Eel
Dragon

Nehahra Originals:
Baron

Quoth / Contract Originals
Drole
Night Gaunt
Gug
Voreling
Flying Polyp
Baker

Post by Baker »

Lunaran's Axe Men/Mega Enforcers/Enforcer Commanders:

(QuakeC in download)

http://www.lunaran.com/maps.php?map=lunsp1

Zerstorer Bad Guys:

(QuakeC in download)

http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/part ... erstoerer/

Fat Controller's Archers and an array of other ones:

(QuakeC in download)

http://hosted.planetquake.gamespy.com/f ... e=custents

Necro's Fire Shamblers, Black Shamblers, Hell Knight with shielding:

QuakeC not included I don't think

http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?/pl ... e_sp06.zip
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

DrSB - Theyre called Centroids, not Scourge.
Baker

Post by Baker »

scar3crow wrote:DrSB - Theyre called Centroids, not Scourge.
They are monster_scourge entities in the maps :D
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

and you also have monster_wizard, but its still a Scrag.
SkinnedAlive

Post by SkinnedAlive »

I'm pretty sure nehahra has more original monsters.
venomus

Post by venomus »

Lets see, Nehahra had more monsters, Also the source code is available on that site.

Soul of Evil (devkit) had well made dragons (several types) and a few boring reskins of stock monsters with increased health etc.

Carved in Flesh had Fiendlings and some kind of wizard. Most of Kona's maps seem to have some custom enemies so its worth checking all those maps.

Rapturehad re-done Nehahra barons.

Some other mod from Tronyn (can't remember the name) had axemen, some reskins (not as boring, they had different attacks etc), and the wizard dude again. EDIT: the name of this series is Coven of Ebony.

Custents had a few new monsters.

There was this big moon base map? Had the walking mechs that fired lasers from Custents. EDIT: the name of this map is Colony.

Hexameron has enforcers with rockets flame throwers.

There is yet another Base series with a flying laser drones and a new reskinned set of blue enemies that have different attacks. EDIT: the name of this series is Operation: Urth Majik.

Hexen 2 is based on the quake engine and had a shitload of new monsters. I you somehow managed to find/rip the qc source code I'm sure it could be made to work in Quake.

Prydon Gate

AirQuake/KiU/DiD tanks and stuff

And not to forget my own contribution, the maggot and the stalker. Don't know what happened to them though :(

BTW, if you are intending to have _every_ monster in your zoo map, you'd better have a custom engine that can handle oversize progs.dat and increased precache limits. One of my n00b mods tried the same and hit the limits way before getting all the ones listed above.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Thanks for the suggestions everybody, I'll be checking into those, though no doubt at least a few of those won't make it in due to being little more than cheesy variants / redundancies.
venomus wrote:And not to forget my own contribution, the maggot and the stalker. Don't know what happened to them though :(
Fear not, though I don't have the stalker (much less tried it), the maggot most definatly WILL go in.
venomus wrote: BTW, if you are intending to have _every_ monster in your zoo map, you'd better have a custom engine that can handle oversize progs.dat and increased precache limits. One of my n00b mods tried the same and hit the limits way before getting all the ones listed above.
What I intend to do is filter out all the weaker monsters that don't really fit into the quake theme, hopefully leaving all the better / best monsters. Worst comes to worst, I can just split them into separate zoos, like oh, say Seaworld for aquatic monstrosities, Airworld for flying monsters, etc.

Hopefully, the end result of this little side project will be a nice repository of the most important monsters in a readily grabable format for use by modders and mappers alike.
venomus

Post by venomus »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote: Fear not, though I don't have the stalker (much less tried it), the maggot most definatly WILL go in.
The stalker was actually called the broodling, and it was a small vore alike creature intended to drop from the ceiling. The mod had a test map.
I have been looking for backups of my old Quake stuff and found more than I expected, including the maggot and that coolweps gun FrikaC was looking for, but no broodling :( .
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Okay, I've decided to split this into two series of mods:

Faerie Journal - Third-Party monsters, not affiliated with with any of the iD and MissionPack(SoA and DoE) monsters. May be broken up into multiple volumes depending on how many said monsters exist. Will include monsters that fit and are worthy of porting / remaking from Hexen 2, including but not limited to the imps as seen in "The Marcher Fortress". (Will contain regular id1 monsters too, but no missionpack monsters. Said monsters will NOT be showcased in zoo map)

Doc's Guide to Mutants - Contains Operation Hellsmash and third party variants of iD, MissionPack (SoA and DoE) and unused iD monsters. (Contains regular id1 monsters as well as the missionpack monsters. Only missionpack monsters will be present in zoo map)