Sound frequency/pitch

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
SusanMDK

Sound frequency/pitch

Post by SusanMDK »

I managed to code an "ambient_generic"(like in half-life) function with qc. It can play any sound you want, any volume from 0-100(divided by hundred to get it into 0.00-1.00 format). It can also play the sounds with different attenuations(some sound radius). It also has an unfinished random looping interval, which I intend to finish sometime soon. I'll also add some start silent and play once flags into it.

Is it possible to change the sound pitch/frequency with qc? I'm doing it for DarkPlaces and I couldn't find anything from the qc files... Only thing that first looked like what I was looking for was this:"DP_QC_CHANGEPITCH" but then it turned out to be something to do with changing some object angles...
zbang!
Urre

Post by Urre »

No can do jim. The Quake sound engine is very limited, and in many ways quite icky, yet surprisingly no one has cared to update it. LordHavoc has a sound engine ready for implementation (more or less), but that's still a lot of work, concerning it still needs to work with all the old mods and so forth. DarkPlaces does have (currently broken) support for surround sound though, but that's as far as it goes, for now.
I was once a Quake modder
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Ah well.. Thanks for the answer.. I'm happy it can at least do those couple things...
zbang!