Jello Models :(

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Downsider

Jello Models :(

Post by Downsider »

Just wondering if there's a lightweight model format that I can use in my engine that would get rid of the "jello effect" that's so ugly in animated models with interpolation.

I'm not sure what it's due to, but I believe it's due to 8bit positions of vertices or something?
Last edited by Downsider on Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

It's a side effect from encoding floats into bytes. Really a poor design decision IMHO, since the disk space gain is irrelevant and internally even software Quake ends up using floats to store vertices anyway. I'd suggest MD3 as a simple and well known/supported model format not suffering this problem (at least, not as much as MDL or MD2), but I suspect many people here would disagree.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Mhmm, well I'm looking to go with as little CPU intensity and blah blah as possible. The target device isn't exactly a PC.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

think there's a way to make quake load up regular model types like obj and such? maybe one of those would work out good?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Downsider wrote:Mhmm, well I'm looking to go with as little CPU intensity and blah blah as possible. The target device isn't exactly a PC.
If it has a sucky FPU, then don't even think about MD3.
Urre

Post by Urre »

Afaik their target is the PSP
I was once a Quake modder
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Urre wrote:Afaik their target is the PSP
Well it's not a secret. If somebody were to ask me.. :S
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Downsider wrote:Mhmm, well I'm looking to go with as little CPU intensity and blah blah as possible. The target device isn't exactly a PC.
You can try using a short instead a byte to store the compressed float. I think MD2 already does that in fact.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Again, I know a lot of people will hate the idea, but have you checked the native Milkshape3D format ? Looks pretty simple to work and not exactly hungry for hardware resources.
Urre

Post by Urre »

MD2 is just as Jello as MDL, unfortunately. Afaik, MD3 should do perfectly fine, as long as the renderer isn't software, which admittedly it might be on the PSP. I'm not sure, but I recall hearing something about MD3 being hard to implement on software renderers. Spike might know :P
Electro

Post by Electro »

The psp graphics api is fairly close to opengl. If they're doing quake in software then they're MAD.
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Urre wrote:MD2 is just as Jello as MDL, unfortunately. Afaik, MD3 should do perfectly fine, as long as the renderer isn't software, which admittedly it might be on the PSP. I'm not sure, but I recall hearing something about MD3 being hard to implement on software renderers. Spike might know :P
Nah, its not software. It's hardware, and it IS very similar to OpenGL, in fact.

Alright, so MD3 is the format of choice. This also has tagging, right?

So, nice.

Any documentation on this format? I'm not into hit-and-miss programming.
Urre

Post by Urre »

There should be lots of documentation on MD3 around