id on steam

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ajay

id on steam

Post by ajay »

As well as their new game "rage" being announced at QuakeCon, all (I think) of id's back catalogues has been released on steam.

You can get Quake for $9.99, and the whole catalogue for $24.99.

That seems pretty good to me, 'cept you gotta have steam installed, which people seem to hate and lvoe in equale-ish measure.

I dont know if they're mod compatible, no reason to think they wouldn't be.

Seems good value to me.

Linky: http://steampowered.com/v/index.php?publisher=id&cc=GB

Oh and Quake Arena is coming to Xbox Live Arcade. I'm guessing it's Quake 3, but I've not read enough to be sure yet.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

If the purchase then involves Steam to play, it is not a good deal.

Since it involves using Steam in the first place, and the fact that you are buying Quake from Valve, a company who built its thieving empire upon Quake's throne and popularity, than it is merely ironic, sad, and a kick in the nuts.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

scar3crow wrote:If the purchase then involves Steam to play, it is not a good deal.

Since it involves using Steam in the first place, and the fact that you are buying Quake from Valve, a company who built its thieving empire upon Quake's throne and popularity, than it is merely ironic, sad, and a kick in the nuts.
/me agrees
Teiman

Post by Teiman »

Is money, anyway. And money is flavourless, tasteless, etc.. Is only a quantity. How much.
Having more money on id hands can be a good thing.
Urre

Post by Urre »

Who cares. It's really just business. If Id found a cool way to make money of their classics, then wtg Id. I don't get the whole "oh nose it's Valve, and water in gas form is bad!"

If you don't like Steam, don't use it. I don't like it, so I don't use it. Others do.
I was once a Quake modder
Preach

Post by Preach »

Surely the most positive attitude is "Hey, larger potential audience for my quake mod". Although I don't have a copy yet, I've heard that quake from steam runs quite comfortably with darkplaces, and so any mods shouldn't be a problem
Urre

Post by Urre »

Preach: that's neat. Do they also have server browsing for different engines and QW/NQ? In other words, do they support filtering by protocol.
I was once a Quake modder
Preach

Post by Preach »

From what I understand it's not integrated with steam in the same way as half life is. What you get is just a standard retail copy of quake, probably with glquake/winquake thrown in to the directory, and a shortcut to launch it on the steam launcher. So you can just put darkplaces in the directory and run it from a command line like you would normally. Or you could rename it and replace whatever the standard executable is with your engine of choice for launch with steam I guess.

I'm intending on buying it to check this kind of thing out, but I'm weighing up the package with all the quake games in it first.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

It's winquake, glquake and moreQuakeWorld (or what it was called).
No soundtrack. You can use it without Steam though (I think), the id1 folder is there.
I wouldn't waste my money for it...
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

although evile, it still beats equake/fquake/synq
Baker

Post by Baker »

leileilol wrote:although evile, it still beats equake/fquake/synq
Nice slander Cheapy :D

eQuake = piracy
fQuake = license agreement violation and things that are technically illegal

SynQ = legal and all GPL

You think it uses Plague's Pak or the Quake Retexturing Project or something derivative. It doesn't -- it uses content from Nexuiz, Open Arena, Open Quartz and true public domain and/or contributed content.

Thanks for the attention, Cheapy

8)
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

I tried downloading the Hexen2 demo from steam (it uses GLHExen as the engine) but couldn't find where it stored the files...
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Baker wrote:Nice slander Cheapy :D
To quote my hero, J. Jonah Jameson, that's untrue! Slander is spoken, in print it's libel.
Megazoid

Post by Megazoid »

My in-dept review of 20 years development from id Software:

Dangerous Dave (1988) - meh
Commander Keen (1990 - 1991) - meh
Rescue Rover 1 & 2 (1991) -huh?
Shadow Knights (1991) -never heard of it
Hovertank 3D (1991)-erm...
Catacomb 3D: A New Dimension (1991) -bleh
Wolfenstein 3D (1992) -a couple of bonus points for nazism. Now worthless.
Spear of Destiny (1992) -cash in
Doom (1993) -addictive and advanced for the time. However, essentially mindless with no modern entertainment value.
The Ultimate Doom (1995) -cash in
Doom II: Hell on Earth (1994) -popular sequel
Master Levels for Doom II (1995) -cash in
Final Doom (1996) -cash in
Quake (1996) -cool after people got PC's powerful enough to run it. In my case about 2 years later.
Quake II (1997) - robots? wtf? okay I suppose.
Quake III Arena (1999) -not even remotely connected to Quake. Lame attempt to sell an engine.
Expansion: Team Arena (2000) -whatever
Doom 3 (2004) -dark, predictable, shiny. Doom tie-in designed to sell yet another Carmac engine. [/i]
Rage (2008) -I couldn't give a monkeys.

I would say however games that have been Published / Produced by id Software have been on the whole very good. Games developed by Gray Matter Interactive, Raven Software, Splash Damage & Ritual Entertainment for id Software have been excellent.

That is all.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Keen was cool
Hovercraft was crap
Quake3 was pretty good...
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.