V Weap Animations in Quake

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
Snarboo

V Weap Animations in Quake

Post by Snarboo »

I've been playing around with perQuake and wanted to make a similar mod, but I'm not sure how view weapon animations are handled in Quake. In perQuake, the weapons have a bunch of new animations and doodads. For instance, a weapon will play an animation(cock the weapon, insert a magazine etc) when the corresponding impulse key is pressed. I want to copy ths, and I've read through the weapons and player QC in the clean 1.06 Progs and sort of understand how animations work in Quake, but I'm still confused. I've studied the weapon models in perQuake as well and they seem to have multiple frames(reload, fire, etc) like monsters, so I'm wondering if I should create a new QC file with $frame definitions?

Edit: I think I'm starting to figure this out now, but I'll keep this post open in case I need more help. Sorry about that. :/
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

defined player.qc's player_shot, player_rock etc... frames that set a self.weaponframe = blah. For smoother animation, toss in a self.nextthink = time + 0.03; or some other smaller than 0.1 number
i should not be here
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

You can also run self.weaponframe in playerprethink(); so that weapon frames do not rely on player animations. This is how I got the reloading shotgun frames in my Starship Troopers mod without the player "ice skating" around. Playerprethink runs every frame, so you'll have to define a new float in order to keep track of how fast the animation should play.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Thanks, that helps! I was thinking along those same lines after studying the .qc files more.
Urre

Post by Urre »

The ice-skating and related problems baffled me for a good while when I was starting out. The fact that playermodel animations and viewmodel animations are tied in some cases, but in other cases not, is some seriously bad design by id. It should be either or :P
I was once a Quake modder
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

I don't think so... Unless they had multi-part animations in their model format, or run+shoot animations, it makes perfect sense to me :)
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Urre

Post by Urre »

Sajt: consistency > weirdness!
I was once a Quake modder
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

If you're talking about how the nailgun animation frames are what shoot the bullets, I agree with you...
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.