What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
SusanMDK

Re: What are you working on?

Post by SusanMDK »

Irritant: The plants are a little weird on the "techbase" floor. I think they would fit better if it was more outdoors like place and with stone/concrete blocks on the floor. Cool architecture.

jitspoe: So, the player in the video is actually a bot? Seems to move/aim pretty well then.

Re textured all the weapons with sort of 256x256 textures, there's some empty space in them, closer to 256x128, just Blender UV mapper is more annoying with non square textures. Player also got 7 gib parts. I think things will always die with the gibs, so it's more dynamic/random, and takes less time to do than some 2 to 4 animations, as I had already modelled the character from the parts. I need to rework my alien model and cut it apart like the player. The default blood is a bit too black, needs some ketchup.

The flamethrower flames slide on floors/walls/ceilings and go through enemies.. and burn! It fires 4 blobs per triggering, every 4th blob has a dynamic light, and every blob spawn a trail of smaller blobs for better visuals. The blobs get additive, fullbright and doublesided flags randomly. If every blob has all 3, it gets too white with the 16 color palette.
Image Image Image Image

It seems I've decided to use the 16 color palette, and possibly also scale the view down to 640x400 (automatically), to mimic some old VGA mode looks. Though in some places it does not use the colors from the palette, like colored console text can have colors not in it, or if the 2D graphics get filtered, they get more colors. I also have all the textures/graphics use the palette, so it's not just the shader doing it.
zbang!
Shpuld

Post by Shpuld »

Looking great jim, I love the graininess of everything, good mix of old (resolution and colors) and new (lighting, bumpmapping/gloss). Just make sure it won't make gameplay relevant things too hard to see ;)
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

I haven't touched it until recently, due to work and other personal circumstances, but here's an update on my material editor for Katana.

https://youtu.be/uwRj-AbSLXo

As noted, there's also support for pausing the client simulation too but I forgot to demonstrate that. Also not hugely happy with my current syntax for materials, but that's something I'll get round to looking at sometime in the future, probably.

Also the settings for the editor are actually stored as console variables, because meh, why not?
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Allright, I got the alien model reworked to be gibbable, have a gun and a mouth. The teeth are a bit blurry in these images, but I made it better later.

Image Image

Also did a civilian/hostage model. So there can be more to the missions than just killing a lot of monsters.

Killing/harming the civilians/hostages result in minus score/money. More if player does it. They can appear in about every mission. If they get scared they raise their hands up, run erratic or stand paniced. In hostage rescue missions they appear kneeling, probably in groups.

There should be a timer in the hostage rescue missions, and when the time runs out, the enemies start killing the hostages. In other missions the enemies kill them randomly, but usually focus on player.

Image Image
zbang!
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

jim, i really enjoy your models.
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Jim, yeah, I think I should dirty that floor up a bit.
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Fun in Wally...

https://br0gspot.files.wordpress.com/20 ... htex03.jpg
https://br0gspot.files.wordpress.com/20 ... tex041.jpg

Everything except the Quake HUD / Models and the Water Texture (OQP) was made by me from scratch using Wally and its builtin functions.

Work on Smash continues...
Barnes

Post by Barnes »

Bptc texture compression

bptc compression

rgba
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Spent the day working on a new texture set.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Dr: I didn't know Wally could to that, playing with the 'marble tile' generator now!

Admin: Can we get a 'quote' button back?
Tomaz

Post by Tomaz »

qbism wrote:Dr: I didn't know Wally could to that, playing with the 'marble tile' generator now!

Admin: Can we get a 'quote' button back?
I'm looking into it, the buttons are there, you just can't see them ( top right corner of every post )
Also under "Joined" there should be PM and E-Mail buttons, which also are there but invisible.
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Oops, I did a thing.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

hogsy is this a texture?
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

A material in OpenKatana/Decay, yes. The texture overlaid on top (the one with the actual hole) is just a placeholder though until the final one is finished.
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Apparently can't edit my post? Oh well...

Bam!