What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
toneddu2000

Re: What are you working on?

Post by toneddu2000 »

Thanks for the link sock! A good particle tutorial would be needed in this community. I'll try to do my best to find time to tinker with it a bit!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Sock, those enemies are great. They seem like something that could have been in Quake from the start. Like a mix of the horned ogre from Quake's pre-release screenshots, and the mjolnir from one of the official mission packs.

Seven, thanks for your dedication to the particle effects. It also gives inspiration to implementing support for those effects in other engines.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

The finalized emitter shading effect.

All of these are the vanilla 3D flames from Quake, with absolutely no content replacement.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

mankrip wrote:The finalized emitter shading effect.

All of these are the vanilla 3D flames from Quake, with absolutely no content replacement.
Is that software? :O
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Yes.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
qbism

Post by qbism »

mankrip wrote:Yes.
That's awesome. I would turn the texture filter off but that's just me.
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

Mankrip, that's awesome. Really. Is that work being done on a new Makaqu?
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

It's for a fork/spin-off of Makaqu.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

@mankrip: This thread is full of awesome stuff, but I honestly can't remember being so impressed with a visual effect like this, specially considering it's all software.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
sock

Post by sock »

@mankrip, thanks, the hammer wielding ogres are designed to be additions (sergeant/captains) of an ogre army. I am bit confused about your flame effect, is this a custom engine/client? Can it be used in any other engine? Is your goal to replace the models with software particle effects?

Early prototype for a weapons inventory:
Well he was evil, but he did build a lot of roads. - Gogglor
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

very sexy sock
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

beautiful work sock, excellent idea!
mankrip: are those flames...particle effect in software? If yes...just wow! :shock:
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Those flames are in software, but they're not particles. They're the vanilla 3D models.
It becomes clear when they're seen animated. They're really poorly animated... but a well modeled&animated 3D flame model would look really good with this effect.
I'll record a video of it in action after fixing a couple bugs in the engine.
It's a custom engine by the way. The effect is hardcoded in the model renderer and in the palette mapping code, so there's no easy way to get it working in other engines.

Sock, that looks great. It reminds me of the Turok 2 weapon selection system (maybe the best weapon selection system ever made for a console game), but with a Quakish Hexen II feel.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
sock

Post by sock »

@mankrip, yes, I would love to see a video of the new software flames in action. At the moment I am still confused as to why you are replacing them the way you are, will there be any smoke or ember particles used? If you want a fixed (rotate properly) flame model, I fixed this a while ago. (Check out the pak file for the first two map jam packs)
It reminds me of the Turok 2 weapon selection system
My inventory system is two rotating menus, select crystal/rune on the inner ring, select weapon on the outer ring and then the weapon is upgraded. Once I get the QC finished I will publish a video showing the inventory system in action. All the assets are 3d models so it works fine in fitz/dp engines and switches particle types depending on what is available. The player starts the inventory system via a special book entity and the whole system is co-op friends so each player can have different weapon upgrades.
Well he was evil, but he did build a lot of roads. - Gogglor
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

sock wrote:At the moment I am still confused as to why you are replacing them the way you are
I've adopted as a rule that content replacement should be a last resort. Also, consistent behavior and coherent design are some of my principles.

My priority is to improve the original rendering of the original content. By doing so, any replacement content shouldn't need to deviate too much from the original; many times, small fixes/adaptations are enough. It's a minimalistic approach that's similar to bugfixing - but aimed at fixing artistic incoherences and inconsistent tech.

So, I'm not replacing them. Those are not different flames - they're the same flames, displayed in a different way.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==