What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
c0burn

Re: What are you working on?

Post by c0burn »

They do actually go to the idle animation. It's not very clear in the video.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

ah ok, great then!
@ hogsy: what engine is? Quake2?
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

toneddu2000 wrote:@ hogsy: what engine is? Quake2?
It's our own, Katana, which is based on FitzQuake but heavily modified.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Tell me more, tell me more... :D I use QuakeSpasm which, for what I know, is derivated from FitzQuake. Which are the modifies?
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Too many to list honestly; SDL2 implementation for both video and input (both of which have been completely rewritten to take full advantage of it), completely rewritten game-logic in C including a complete base framework for weapons, items and more, separated Launcher/Engine/Game/Menu components, Linux support including a library to deal with all platform-dependent functions, a completely new UI system including support for menu states, a far more versatile particle system with support for textured particles (and lit particles), MD2 and PNG support, a new simple rendering framework with capabilities management and crap with some simple debugging features, various additions to the BSP format, static light references which are used for point-based planar shadows (they're basically affected by both dynamic and static light sources) including blob shadows, log output during runtime, better transparency support for brush models including support for alpha-tested surfaces, brush model rotation support, and about a billion fixes. There's way more but I can't remember off the top of my head, we're looking for more programmers though to help out if you're interested :)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

cool! But just one curiosity: why porting all the game logic to C? I mean, quakec is easier to use and it's great for newbies. Are you not satisfied about the quakec limitations (impossibility to create own types)?
a completely new UI system including support for menu states,
Veery good!
a far more versatile particle system with support for textured particles
Great addition
complete base framework for weapons, items and more, separated Launcher/Engine/Game/Menu
Well, I don't fully understand what do you mean by complete base framework but if it's like a system that aids you to code quickly based on the game section you need, it's great!
Unfortunately I'm not a programmer, I'm learning programming but I'm quite a noob! :D
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I'm working on quitting my job and moving across the country without another job lined up, because I am just plain exhausted with my current job!
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

full support to you! I was in your same shoes 1 year and a half ago! Come on, it's not so bad to be unemployed! :D
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

toneddu2000 wrote:cool! But just one curiosity: why porting all the game logic to C? I mean, quakec is easier to use and it's great for newbies. Are you not satisfied about the quakec limitations (impossibility to create own types)?
Because it's not just simply ported, it's all been rewritten from the ground-up. Honestly for us, our code, that's been written out in C, is easier to work with than Quake's game-logic because we've been able to write out a framework that gives us the ability to quickly and easily implement new features without having to modify all that much, which also allows us to have an incredibly clean code-base. Another obvious benefit is that anyone familiar with QuakeC can very easily understand C code, and anyone who does programming in C or C++ won't have any problems at all, funny right? But people seem a little misinformed in my opinion; there is nothing remotely special about QuakeC as a language that makes it easier to use, other than its technical functionality in the fact that it runs in a VM, which could easily be done with any other more simplified language and that's not really necessary for us, so instead we just opted to rewrite it all in C ;)

That all said, after OpenKatana is out the door we are actually looking towards adding support for some script functionality but that's in the future.
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Implemented BSP2 additions for both our engine and level format.

Edit:
That's now all pushed into the master branch.
https://github.com/OldTimes-Software/Pr ... b18299908f
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

great work you guys! What are the BSP2 features? I never found a site where those features were described
Spike

Post by Spike »

Presumably, BSP2 means using 32bit data types instead of 16bit ones in the bsp format. its a capacity/size thing rather than something that actually affects anything that the user might see.

I assume you also boosted pvs leaf limits too?
hogsy

Post by hogsy »

Yup and yup. Additionally textures are no longer saved in the BSP which saves a lot of space, and RGB lighting is now saved in the BSP.
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Made some user adjustable Posterize effect with a Post Processing filter... Maybe I continue it further and try to make another that use the game palette, if that's possible?

zbang!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Yes it's possible to postprocess to a palette lookup, though the colors to choose from would be limited. When I tried to attempt one, I could only get as far as 107 colors while having some LONG shader compile times.
i should not be here