What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ceriux

Re: What are you working on?

Post by ceriux »

brutal doom is pretty awesome =)
mh

Post by mh »

sock wrote:@mh, it does not feel right because the whole scene is blurry, it feels like the depth (crispness) has been removed and it is like looking through a dirty lens.
Mathematically that's impossible because all it does is add a bloom texture to the original scene; the original scene remains intact, just brightened (and parts of the original scene that are below the average scene luminance aren't even touched - at all - if you add 0 to 2 you can't claim that the result is no longer 2). You sure you're not just suffering from an anti-placebo here?
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
sock

Post by sock »

mh wrote:Mathematically that's impossible because all it does is add a bloom texture to the original scene; the original scene remains intact, just brightened (and parts of the original scene that are below the average scene luminance aren't even touched - at all - if you add 0 to 2 you can't claim that the result is no longer 2). You sure you're not just suffering from an anti-placebo here?
The whole scene does look blurry, maybe it is the texture filtering but the bloom is adding to the problem. Try a screenshot without the textures filtered, the scene looking blurry is common problem with old software games. For years I played Quake blurry and did not realize it actually looks crisp and moody when the textures are not dithered (very non technical term) and stretched (larger screen area) to gain more detail.

As I have said earlier the bloom is an awesome idea and no one else is mentioning this blurry effect, so chalk it up as crazy feedback! :)
Well he was evil, but he did build a lot of roads. - Gogglor
mh

Post by mh »

sock wrote:The whole scene does look blurry, maybe it is the texture filtering but the bloom is adding to the problem. Try a screenshot without the textures filtered, the scene looking blurry is common problem with old software games. For years I played Quake blurry and did not realize it actually looks crisp and moody when the textures are not dithered (very non technical term) and stretched (larger screen area) to gain more detail.

As I have said earlier the bloom is an awesome idea and no one else is mentioning this blurry effect, so chalk it up as crazy feedback! :)
Already using point sampling where appropriate, and have already done a screenshot comparison, subtracting an un-bloomed shot from a bloomed shot and checking individual pixels.

There is no difference whatsoever between the un-bloomed areas, so definitely an anti-placebo here. ;) Or else what you're percieving as "the entire scene is blurry" is actually the result of JPEG compression in the uploaded screenshot.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Might also help to cap the overbright on the alias models like Q2 did in software (as an option) to prevent some bloom washout.

Maybe an alpha-mapped lightmap would play with bloom better too ;)
i should not be here
mh

Post by mh »

Bloom washout on the models comes more from the diffuse texture than from the lighting. This is really obvious with the view model, where the RL gets far more than the standard SG, for example. There are arguments to be made that bloom itself should only come from lighting, but a counterargument is that the diffuse texture is supposed to represent the colour of reflected light, so it's appropriate to use that too. Of course, with a render-to-texture setup you've just got a single image as input and you can't tell what parts of that image are models, what parts are scene geometry, what parts are sky, etc, so different handling for different object types isn't going to work here.
taniwha

Post by taniwha »

Render to another texture where color represents surface type?
Leave others their otherness.
http://quakeforge.net/
Supa

Post by Supa »

Placeholders, placeholders everywhere..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOKVmtMgVsQ

aut viam inveniam aut faciam
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

SUPA! this is supa sexy! can i play?!
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Supa: Looks damn cool. :D

Decided to do a Special Edition version of Hellsmash Beta 3, so am working on some things that I had originally wanted to put into it to begin with.

New model for the Fury Breaker: (originally used the Quad Damage as a placeholder in Beta 3)
http://br0gspot.files.wordpress.com/201 ... r_wire.png

Dunno what I'll do for the Icon of Hate, maybe I'll just "evilize" the Fury Breaker...
taniwha

Post by taniwha »

Dr. Shadowborg: looks interesting.

If the Icon of Hate is (equivalent to) Invulnerability, something suggesting infinity might work. One suggestion: a sphere (infinite sides, not that that's realistically achievable).
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

look cool man you've picked up modeling? =)
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

taniwha wrote: If the Icon of Hate is (equivalent to) Invulnerability, something suggesting infinity might work. One suggestion: a sphere (infinite sides, not that that's realistically achievable).
LOL, truth be told, Fury Breaker and Icon of Hate were born from my annoyance at playing DM with frikbots that tended to hog the quad and pent too much.

The Icon of Hate basically gave you BOTH quad and invulnerability, the catch was that the Fury Breaker gave you the ability to do quad damage to whoever had the Icon. It also boosts your defense (in the case of whoever had the Icon, they would do laughable damage even with grenades and rockets), and gave regeneration, and if it wasn't presently available to grab, it would respawn within 5 seconds irregardless of whether or not somebody had already grabbed it)

I thought that it actually helped spice gameplay up, due to the fact that at least one person on the map could mess up your day even IF you snagged the Icon.

Ceriux: Blender 2.63 + taniwha import / export scripts for .mdl = Easy as Pie. :D
taniwha

Post by taniwha »

Hah, sounds like fun! That certainly should spice things up a little.
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

The Broodhunter video needs to go into heavy rotation at every Quake site IMO, that's fast paced multiplayer like it's rarely done anymore.

DRS: For an Icon of Hate, a fist might work.