Quake 2 Source Code Review (Fabien Sanglard)

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Spirit

Quake 2 Source Code Review (Fabien Sanglard)

Post by Spirit »

Just saw that Fabien Sanglard released his Quake 2 Source Code Review a couple of days ago.

http://fabiensanglard.net/quake2/
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
dreadlorde

Re: Quake 2 Source Code Review (Fabien Sanglard)

Post by dreadlorde »

Nice. I could have swore that q2 had software colored lighting, apparently I was wrong. :(
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

no it doesn't, though it was something i planned to do once
i should not be here
qbism

Post by qbism »

dreadlorde wrote:Nice. I could have swore that q2 had software colored lighting, apparently I was wrong. :(
No, but you can have it nowadays... FTEQW software engine does. Possibly DP vid_soft mode also. It would have been nice to see a modern engine added to the comparison- FTEQW, KMQuake2, Berserker, etc. Newbies need to be herded AWAY from the ancient original exe's.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

I loved the lookup table trick to implement transparency in software. Very clever.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

yeah though lookup alpha is common at the point when quake2 did it (even Heretic did it), even the 33/66% alpha method (using row or column order to switch between the two)

shame it didn't do more than that - there certainly was room for additive transparency with using the colormap fade table to control the opacity of the additive colors.

BTW FTEQW's software engine only does colored lighting on the level in 16/32bit color modes, and doesn't color the models, AND its software renderer is retired, anyway
i should not be here