8 bit bigmap Halloween special

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Please see new thread in engine programming for update.
http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=38991
What started as a 60Mb 'mod' pak (mostly skymaps) is now just engine and 2Mb pak.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

necros wrote:do you know what causes this:
http://necros.slipgateconstruct.com/temp/qbism_tex1.jpg
http://necros.slipgateconstruct.com/temp/qbism_tex2.jpg

turning on r_fullbright removes the corrupted pixels.

i am using an unorthodox method of changing lightmaps for a lightning effect:
i create standard lights and manually assign 'style' to them (instead of letting light.exe do it) and then update lightmaps via qc by feeding in different single letter string settings via lightstyle() function.

this is the only non-standard thing going on in this map graphically, afaik.
textures are just standard 8bit palettized.

any ideas?
You can also try reducing the viewsize to something like 70. A long time ago I had to deal with a bug where the renderer would try to draw pixels outside of the screen, therefore leaking into the surface cache and corrupting it this way. Reducing the viewsize guarantees that there will be enough screen space outside of the 3D view to safely accommodate such leaks.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

Playing PuLSaR's Menkalinan, I noticed two issues, it has texture corruption in qbism like what necros showed above, and water has the wrong texture in qbism.

:?
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
qbism

Post by qbism »

The floor tile pattern in the Menkalinan shot shows the texture is there, can still make out the tile joint. Almost looks like its running off the colormap, but that spot doesn't look especially bright.

Haven't had time to try this map, but plan to later. Hopefully can compare on other SW engines. Also may play with relighting, from aguirRe on the func_msgboard thread:
light -extra4 -sunlight2 50 -dist 1.1 menk
qbism

Post by qbism »

menkstart in Makaqu 1.3 doesn't have the texture corruption. (Also happened to try Goldquake and it was OK, too.) So it's something changed in Super8. Possibly some data is overwritten, but it wasn't revealed by smaller viewsize. The corruption happens in lightstyle areas, small areas of only 2 or 3 maps (that I know of).

I will look at lightmap-related changes. Colormap damage might produce similar effect, but that would show up all over the map.

For the water texture, menk is not watervised, so set r_wateralpha 1.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

Ok, this is odd. I just tried menkstart in directq, then played it again in qbism, and the water was just fine. O.o
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
qbism

Post by qbism »

Lightmap corruption fixed! Was an insidious typo...

Please DL the latest from link in engine forum thread, and also try playing ne_ruins.
necros

Post by necros »

fantastic, thanks!
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

qbism, the new build has the problem with my weird laptop resolution, again. :oops:
Get off my lawn!
qbism

Post by qbism »

Sorry, I forgot about DIB limitation - only works with horizontal screen resolutions that are multiple of 4! Next build will switch back to directdraw.

I'd like to figure out how to make directdraw 'release focus' (if that's the correct term) in windowed mode so that window can be moved around when console is down. Right now I can click and move OTHER windows, but not the game window itself.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Just grab and readapt the code when you invoke the menu. I meant to do this for Engoo by suggestion of LH but I had my coder rush ended by then and I heavily procrastinated on it
i should not be here
qbism

Post by qbism »

leileilol wrote:Just grab and readapt the code when you invoke the menu.
That worked. Checking (key_dest != key_menu && !cl.paused) per Makaqu instead of windowed.mouse.

Also re-added saving of vid_mode value in cfg.

Fixed exe: qbismS8_0013

The lightmap problem was using the wrong define in a loop, MAX_LIGHTMAPS instead of MAXLIGHTMAPS in a loop. MAX_LIGHTMAPS (with underscore) is stainmaps, a much higher value... so, yeah, that name has been changed! The discovery of menkstart was very helpful because it was not a "big map" and because the bug occurred every time. This ruled out a lot of suspects.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

The problem persists, unfortunately.
Get off my lawn!
qbism

Post by qbism »

dreadlorde wrote:The problem persists, unfortunately.
Ack! Check vid_ddraw = 1, or delete old .cfg.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

There is no vid_ddraw cvar. Also tried deleted all of my super8.cfg's, didn't help.
Get off my lawn!