Paid programmer work

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
toneddu2000

Paid programmer work

Post by toneddu2000 »

Hi guys, I'm an italian designer with the hobby for game development. I tried to create my own game with darkplaces but it's too hard without no knowledge of quakec! So I decided to make this post and to inform, who could be interested, that I would be happy to pay an expert quake c programmer to make some changes on the quakec game code AND darkplaces engine code (these modifies would be less difficult IMO). The only requirement is that the code will be released under GPL license. If someone is interested, he (or she) could reply on this topic (better - so any other user could see it) or pm me.
Thanks for your attention!

PS: this is my first post, so .. HY!!
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

What's up. I need money and I am a QuakeC/engine code EXPERT!!!
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Unfortunately, all the professional QuakeC experts are stuck in Oregon and Wisconson, though a higher concentration is in the latter.

QuakeC isn't hard to learn really, once you learn it, this thread's existence will feel stupid later :)
i should not be here
mh

Post by mh »

Hi there. :D

Maybe say what kind of changes you want made? You might find that if someone thinks they're interesting they'll just do it anyway, or point you in the direction of somewhere that similar has already been done.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Yes, knowing the scale of work and the amount paid will make or break the deal for a lot of people. ;)

That's cool that you're willing to pay to have it made. If the money is worth it to a programmer who's able to do the work, then that's great!
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Urre

Post by Urre »

You never said it was paid work when I pointed you here!

I'd be interested in more details.
I was once a Quake modder
Swift

Post by Swift »

What kind of things do you need?
r00k

Post by r00k »

Maybe we can just make a studio and all pitch in... ;)
Urre

Post by Urre »

Yes!
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

First of all, I want to thank you all for your replies. I'd like to answer to your question individually:

@Sajt: Perfect!

@leileilol: it's a pity that there's not a concentration of quake c programmers in Italy :) ! Seriously, it's not a shame for me to pay a professionist for its work. Of course I'm not a "Steve Jobs" clone, so I don't have a lot of money, but I think that the sense of this initatiative is to give programmers an input to be creative.

@mh: Of course. The first post was just a presentation. The two changes are very important to me are:

1 addition of a GPL physics engine inside Darkplaces (ODE, or Bullet). At Nexuiz/Xonotic forums they made a little test, but isn't useful for production. This change should allow artist to create models (.dpm,.iqm,etc) with bone mass linking, so it could be possible to add ragdolls and realistic (or similar :) ) physics to characters and map objects.

2 recreation (programmer could also use old quake monster code) of a series of monster animation codes. What I mean: if you want to create a brand new monster in quake, maybe you use old quake code. But this code uses .mdl for model format (whic is ugly) and $frame1 $frame2.. for frames enumeration (which is terrible). Nexuiz uses a better system(based on a lot of funcions that I didn't understand well) but isn't still the top. I was thinking about something similar to Roland Pluss's DragEngine Locomotion system (if you didn't know it, check it on youtube), which is supposed to be GPL in the future (I don't know the release date, though). Whith locomotion system, character points to a target but
its legs are separated from torso (NOT like md3, better! :) )and is VERY cool and realistic to see.

3 a very neat game AI (story planning, events/ decisions, and so on)integration inside Netradiant. Something similar Unreal Kismet. I know, I know, for creating Unreal Kismet Epic paid maybe 20 programmers for 5 years, so I can't ask a work like that. Anyway just think about it! :)

4 (this is important) Add integration for cameras into Darkplaces, so it will be possible, in NetRadiant, to set that, when a player hit a "camera box", the game freezes and starts an ingame video with cameras, animation, dialogs and so on (just like doom 3)

@Urre: well, infact it was not intended at first to be a paid work! :)
But, I realize that everyone has its job, its university studies, etc. so it very difficult to find some spare time. This could be an extra incentive for all of us

@r00k: sounds great to me!

Sorry for the VERY long post but I wanted to explain what I was thinking!
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Ahhhh, I should have known it was going to be something like the tasks of Hercules!
toneddu2000 wrote:a very neat game AI (story planning, events/ decisions, and so on)integration inside Netradiant. Something similar Unreal Kismet. I know, I know, for creating Unreal Kismet Epic paid maybe 20 programmers for 5 years, so I can't ask a work like that. Anyway just think about it! :)
That sounds like "scripting", not AI. Or am I missing something? And what is Kismet?
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Sajt wrote:And what is Kismet?
Literally flowcharting (triangle for if branches etc) gamelogic from within Unreals map tool.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Sajt wrote:Ahhhh, I should have known it was going to be something like the tasks of Hercules!
:lol:
That sounds like "scripting", not AI. Or am I missing something?
Yeah, sorry when I spoke about Kismet, as Swift right replied, I meant a better event scripting interface. However I woul spend a word about AI too. Nexuiz amplified a lot bot "intelligence",so bots can find faster paths, take cover, and so on.. and these features could be a fine addition to standard quakec monsters code IMHO
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

I don't feel that advanced AI has its place in Quake. The gameplay, the weapons and the levels are not really made for it; they are more honed for the "blast away crowds of enemies" type of gameplay. So if you are just making a modified Quake game, I wouldn't recommend it. People have added some "smarter" AI behaviours to Quake, with bad results (such as monsters dodging side-to-side, it only annoys the player and looks silly). If you are making a totally new game though, especially new levels, it could be a good idea. It would help to know exactly what your overall goals are.
Urre

Post by Urre »

I was already assuming it to be a new game, based on DarkPlaces, but maybe I'm thinking too much ahead?