(Help) Adding Skybox Support to PSPQuake

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
LonePossum.

(Help) Adding Skybox Support to PSPQuake

Post by LonePossum. »

I have come here as I am in need of assistance.
I am currently working on a game for the PSP and I have been using the kurok engine with quake coding but I have made myself get stuck when I wished to bind impulses and functions and whatnot to keys but there is no autoexec or a working config in kurok.

Thus I decided to move to the quake engine but It requires to have skybox support added for the maps to work.

From my understanding The PSP Quake Engine is significantly different from regular GLQuake so the Tutorials on adding Skybox support or hlbsp for that matter will not simply work straight away.

So I am asking for help as I am no C Expert or engine coder so my knowledge on this subject is very limited.

(To round things up I would like someone to help me in adding it to PSPQuake engine or someone to give me a PSP Engine that works and that I can get my binds and assigned keys to work on)

Much Appreciated.
Teiman

hhumm...

Post by Teiman »

Do you have a line like that:?

Cbuf_InsertText ("exec quake.rc\n");

Maybe you can modify it, for your needs. Or modify such quake.rc file. (could this file live inside que .pak's files?).

I think the coder of Kurok post on this forum, so he probably will make a more accurate comment.
Baker

Post by Baker »

I might do the PSP skybox tutorial just because it will force me to learn more about the PSPGU api. I've only browsed it so far, not actually thought about it much.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
LonePossum.

Post by LonePossum. »

That would help myself and others greatly.
As I said my knowledge on the subject is very limited.
Baker

Post by Baker »

There are the famous NEHE tutorials for OpenGL and the PSP, comparing the 2 versions could solve the "limited knowledge" thing ...

OpenGL: http://nehe.gamedev.net/

PSP: http://www.psp-programming.com/forums/i ... 24.msg7214
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Arkage

Post by Arkage »

I cant quite make sense of your reasoning to go back to psp Quake over Kuroks engine. As you said yourself Kurok has skybox support and a whole load of other features over psp quake.
Would it not make more sense to add the other features need to kurok instead of adding kuroks features to pspquake and then your needed ones?

Also I dont see a problem with the config.cfg file in kurok for setting key binds.
Unless I over looked something.
mh

Post by mh »

The way I read it is that Baker is aiming for something big here - a single integrated PQ codebase for all platforms. By using PSPQuake he's able to filter out Kurok-specific changes and focus in on changes explicitly required for bringing Q1 up on the PSP.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for