The Horror beta 2

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
lth

The Horror beta 2

Post by lth »

Here:

http://www.random-productions.co.uk/quake/

If anyone gets any nice screenshots, put 'em up here and I'll put them on the site.

All comments, feedback, etc gratefully received.
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Can you post a changelog? I wanna know if the problems I had with it are fixed :)
lth

Post by lth »

There have been so many changes that I've lost track - pretty much everything has been tweaked in one way or another. If you have any specific questions ask away!
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

lth wrote:There have been so many changes that I've lost track - pretty much everything has been tweaked in one way or another. If you have any specific questions ask away!
Water/food drop scaling for multiplayer and/or changing how it worked?
lth

Post by lth »

I haven't played it coop myself, however, you should get more and more appropriate drops. There's a extra-bonuses perk that should make things easier too.
lth

Post by lth »

In fact, here's a changelog of everything I can remember:
- Better zombie AI and placement
- Improved bonus dropping heuristics
- New small food / water / both bonuses
- Ingame crosshair
- Hover cursor over other players to see their health / food / water stats
- Death view more gruesome
- 2 new monsters added
- Fixed bounding boxes on zombie women
- Fast zombies have new attack
- New perks: bonus magnet, bonus bonus, pentagram
- Freeze perk fixed; frozen monsters no longer attack you
- Gun level upgrades more spaced out
- Tons of new weapons including railgun, rocket pistols, molotov cocktail
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Mmmm zombies :D
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
Supa

Post by Supa »

I haven't played this beta yet though I did play the one you sent me last week and I have two questions. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't made it to that point yet, so all I'll say is I really like the event that happens once you hit ~400 kills. :)

Is it intentional for the handcannon spread to be aligned to the camera and not the dummy player? To see what I mean, fire a shot with the handcannon at the top or bottom of the screen - the spread pattern will be aligned from the dummy's left to right. But when you fire a shot to the left or right of the screen, the spread pattern remains aligned left-right, not up-down as one would expect.

Also, are you placing the shot origins in front of the dummy player instead of inside it? If so, that would be why you can't shoot a zombie that's right next to you. In DP, If a trace or entity starts inside another entity, that trace||ent will not collide with the entity it started inside. It's meant for letting you walk outside of entities you'd normally get stuck in, but if your shot org ever starts inside a zombie you'd never be able to actually hit it. Right now it's basically an instant game over if you're unlucky enough to get surrounded by runners and can't find a space to squeeze out, so fixing this would help *alot*.
lth

Post by lth »

Re: sawnoff - I just use a v_right*crandom(), which yes makes funny things happen close to zero. I didn't want to have to makevectors() with a slightly varied angle repeatedly, since that seems awfully expensive, though perhaps I really ought to. Any other suggestions to acheive the same effect welcome.

Re: shot origins - I did pull them back a bit from the last version, though clearly not far enough.
lth

Post by lth »

Oh, and I'd really like to know why DarkPlaces renders decals on top of alpha'd entities, and if I can stop it, because it's a pain in the arse.
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

lth wrote:Oh, and I'd really like to know why DarkPlaces renders decals on top of alpha'd entities, and if I can stop it, because it's a pain in the arse.
Screenshot please?

Decals are spawned on alphed brush entities, and depth sorted like everything else...
lth

Post by lth »

http://www.random-productions.co.uk/qua ... action.jpg

Here you can see that although the crosshair is fine, the powerup edging around the water bottle (just in front of the muzzleflash) is rendering behind the decals.

http://www.random-productions.co.uk/qua ... ainsaw.jpg

In this one, the crosshair itself (which is tied to self.cursor_trace_endpos + '0 0 8') is masked by the decals underneath.

Both those screenies are with stainmaps on, but it's the same with regular decals.

You should be able to reproduce simply by loading up the mod, shooting a zombie then hovering the crosshair over the bloodstain it leaves behind.

Ta,

LTH
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

lth wrote:Here you can see that although the crosshair is fine, the powerup edging around the water bottle (just in front of the muzzleflash) is rendering behind the decals.
Oh, model meshes are sorted by origin - so if the entity origin is above the floor it will appear in front of the decals, you can just modify the model and entity spawning a little.

I have given some thought to using the mesh bounds though...