Realms of Quake -- Help Wanted

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Realms of Quake -- Help Wanted

Post by Error »

I'm currently in need help with Realms of Quake. I have a lot of the programming done, and need help repopulating Quake.

If you don't know then here goes: Realms of Quake is a semi-mmorpg done completely in Quake. There are no new models/sounds/maps at all, though the scripting system will allow for addons of any kind with only a few lines. Almost everything in the game is scripted. Realms of Quake is basically taking Quake and turning it into a action RPG of massive proportions.

This scripting "language" is very easy to understand and use, even if you aren't a coder.

Looking for help in these areas:
:arrow: Scripter(s) - utilizing the ROQ scripting system, you pretty much make the game run and pull everything together. no coding experience is needed. A lot of things need scripted: items, monsters, quests, npcs, etc. All you need is a darkplaces friendly computer and a notepad-esque program.

:arrow: Ideas and Feedback - there's a lot of things that I don't think of and someone there to converse with to make things noticed by me to get things done right. you should preferably have a strong grasp on how mmorpg's work and play.

:arrow: QuakeC Programmer - I'm kind of wary about getting someone to help or even reprogram sections of the game, as I know I'm not the best coder. My code is probably highly unoptimized and would make a lot of more experienced coders cry. Though, I could also use someone to look over the code and help my optimize it or even teach me better ways to do things.

I'm almost always in #errormods on anynet if you IRC. Thank you and I hope to see you soon in the Realms of Quake.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Oh boy... I wish I had more free time to help on it. :(
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
ShoTro

Post by ShoTro »

Hey, I haven't been around a lot since I got a new job, but things are calming down a bit. I have previous experience testing games and programming experience... not much experience with QuakeC.

I am a huge RPG enthusiast and have played my fair share of MMOs to know what sucks and what doesn't. I can't do a huge deal of work, but testing and scripting events would be about right in terms of the level I can assist a project of this caliber. I am also a fairly above average writer and story teller, a huge HP Lovecraft fan, so something with Quake is right up my alley.

PM me, I don't usually use IRC but might pop in to see what is up in the next day or two.
Shoot everything that moves. When it stops moving shoot it again just for good measure.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

side-note: if I can get 3 class models for the other classes. then I will have them, but aside from that, I'm not planning any new content. I'm really trying to keep ANY new content to look like quake models. keep it true

Chillo : are you around? hang out in IRC more.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

player models are in the works currently. more to come soon.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

It sounds really awesome, Error.
I don't think I could help in any other way but maybe through questions and feedback, unfortunately. Is there a version of this mod available somewhere?
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

only to trusted testers and collaborators. but yes, a lot is being done, and I hope to have something to show for all this soon---ish

thanks for all the support
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

What about a couple screenshots to feed the rest of mortals ? :)
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I've got a few things to show for the qexpo so far. no release though... so everyone knows

I've got coding assistance from Urre and modelling assistance from Chillo... this thing is really shaping up more and more every day.

any screenshots will be shown at the QExpo.
Last edited by Error on Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

oh and when I say MMORPG, I mean it will have the capabilities of being one, though I'm not sure how many players I can support on my bandwidth currently. I'm poor and am lucky I even have cable internet.
MeTcHsteekle

Post by MeTcHsteekle »

according to whaere i am [and my computers callender] qexpo is in about 2 days :shock:
bah
Eluan

Post by Eluan »

frag.machine wrote:Oh boy... I wish I had more free time to help on it. :(
Weren't you working on a mod with the same name and similar concept eight years ago?

I'm pretty sure you were!

EDIT: Meh, forget it, just read and confirmed that in "The Quake mod dreams thread." :wink:
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

yes, me and frag.machine already cleared that up. :P
Eluan

Post by Eluan »

I'd love to help you on this, I've always dreamed about a Quake MMORPG since before that word became widespread :P

Even if nearly all my free time is being consumed by my Quake port to the Nintendo Wii, I'd really like to help. I'm very experienced in all of Quake's subsystems and still have a strong grasp of QuakeC, even after years without writing any QC code.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I need mapping assistance. read up on Day 4.

zeh quake expo booth