Pretty water!

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

I made a water pack too but it's not shiny like this one. It's also a work in progress and is GPL licensed, so it could legally be friendly with OpenQuartzers.

http://leileilol.mancubus.net/quakestuf ... iwater.pk3
i should not be here
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Thread bump requesting shader fix to work with recent DP.

It may be a simple fix for all I know (LordHavoc suggested it is), but now that I have a PC capable of running such, I'd really like to see this first hand.
Urre

Post by Urre »

I promised LH I'd look into it, but didn't find any time. I will, though. It's probably just a single parameter to the dp_water line in the shader, an extra 1 at the end for alpha.
I was once a Quake modder
Urre

Post by Urre »

FIX: Added new shader parameter to make the pack work again.

Here goes

I also made a small version of the pack, which only distorts the water and adds a color tint on it, rather than using a texture. In a way this even looks better, but it's up to you and your taste/bandwidth :)

Small version

Note: the packs don't mix well! Don't have them in the same folder.

Enjoy!
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Thanks for updating it.

Interesting looking... Not sure how I feel about the one with the new texture... The slimmer one... Everything looks to be the same liquid. I see no difference between water, muddy water, and slime. With rtlights enabled, I can spot the slime apart from the others as romi loved to put the green lighting around it... but theres so little of the original texture left, it is merely my map knowledge which tells me what is what.

Definitely cool looking, but I'd like things to be a bit more defined by their substance. I'm not asking for a new version, but perhaps which console commands were involved with that aspect?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

try mine scar3, at least i have colors :)
i should not be here
Urre

Post by Urre »

I'd really like to do something with more variety between the different types of water, yeah. It feels to me like this release doesn't look as good as the original one, guess I didn't tweak things as much. Spent so many hours trying to figure out something that worked for the slim release, and it didn't end up as good as I hoped anyway, so meh. DarkPlaces doesn't seem to support any form of shader command for coloring textures. Electro suggested rgbGen with a vector value, but no luck there. In that case it would've looked very much like the full release, since it's actually just a bunch of recolors of the same texture.

EDIT: Also, I'm dissatisfied with the new fresnel values, water shouldn't be that reflective.
Chip

Black borders

Post by Chip »

So, I'm using this water modification, but I don't like the black margins it creates while warping.

Is there a fix for that?

And, while I'm here, is there a way to make water splashes when intersecting a solid brush?
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
LordHavoc

Re: Black borders

Post by LordHavoc »

Chip wrote:So, I'm using this water modification, but I don't like the black margins it creates while warping.

Is there a fix for that?

And, while I'm here, is there a way to make water splashes when intersecting a solid brush?
Fixing the black margins is on my todo list but at a low priority (basically the normalmap needs to fade out near walls so that it doesn't distort at the edges).

No idea on the splashes.
Chip

Thanks

Post by Chip »

Thanks for the quick answer. In the meantime, take a look at some screens:

Image Image Image
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
My-Key

Post by My-Key »

Hi :)

I've made a modification to Pretty Water by Urre (I hope he won't be angry).

I've changed some parameters and alpha in some textures, so now water is a bit bluer, muddy water is brown, and slime is green.

ImageImageImage

http://www.speedyshare.com/724653552.html

Enjoy :D

P.S.
Does anybody know where I can find a mod whitch changes fire and a light version of DarkPlaces Mod (normal Quake with things like better fire, flashlight, shell casing)?
mh

Post by mh »

Looking nice. :D

It's debatable though whether or not certain liquid textures should be so reflective - Quake water is supposed to be quite murky, after all!

What I would do is something like add a reflectiveness variable to the shader and modulate the reflection by that.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
My-Key

Post by My-Key »

Reflectiveness for every texture can be different and this parameter is easy to change.

I've made couple changes:
- muddy water - murkier and less reflective
- slime - murkier (I haven't touched reflective parameter, but slime is less reflective nonetheless)

Screenshots on a left side are newer.

ImageImage

ImageImage

I'll upload file later, beacuse I'm going to change normal water.
AluminumHaste

Post by AluminumHaste »

Can we get an updated pack for this? I'm using the latest beta 201002 I believe and this pack isn't working. I still have the shitty water from the original game :( and this looks so amazing.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

is this done is assembly, or C?
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!