Fun - Most Obscure Quake Bugs

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
Urre

Post by Urre »

Isn't that old Doom engine stuff? Afaik it's fixed in all Quake engines.
I was once a Quake modder
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

Chris wrote:common one is running against the wall increasing your speed, as well as moving forward and right at an angle, although that is a common one in many 3d engines and I think fixed in at least darkplaces.
You can only increase your speed by changing direction constantly (zigzagging), or by bunnyhopping (pressing jump and releasing and repressing it before you land, while turning left/right like you're shaking your head, sort of a zigzag but smoother).

Quake caps your desired velocity at sv_maxspeed (320), so even if you hold forward (+400 forward) and a strafe key (+350 sideways), it caps that at 320, resulting in +240.8 forward and +210.7 sideways (rather than +400 and +350).

As for the wall-hugging, that also still works in darkplaces, it's one of the same cosine bugs.

Quake has "sv_wallfriction" which sharply reduces your speed when leaning mostly into a wall, but you can still cruise along a wall at a slightly inclined angle and get some boost I'm told - I've never tried.
r00k

Post by r00k »

How about the fact that typing RECONNECT in the netQuake console ( original) doesn't reconnect you. :(
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

r00k wrote:How about the fact that typing RECONNECT in the netQuake console ( original) doesn't reconnect you. :(
Good one.

In DarkPlaces it reconnects you if you first disconnect, if you're just lagging it just messes up the current level like in stock netquake, I wasn't sure what I could do about this.

Of course when playing on a QW server it always reconnects you as expected.