What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
SusanMDK

Re: What are you working on?

Post by SusanMDK »

Thanks :) Here's some video: Flying around Video. I've noticed the banding creates a sort of refraction/warp effect from transparent water. I have turbulence, rotation and deformvertex waves in the liquids. It only appears to warp the textures/shading, but not level/model shapes. I'll record it into the next video. The textures in this video are 8x8 scaled to 128x128, but maybe 8x8 is a bit too small. 16x16 should allow me to do greater variety of shapes. I did get some sort of blur hexagon/ellipsoid with the 8x8. The ship has 1x1 textures for each color, there's total 5 colors in the ship.
zbang!
Barnes

Post by Barnes »

smooth bump and dof auto focus

Image Image Image Image
Shpuld

Post by Shpuld »

Been creating basic functionality from scratch in QC, both CS and SS. From what you can see in this video, only the engine itself is restricted by GPL.
Once I get all the basic functionality in (like complete menus with settings and everything, some examples of advanced less-documented FTE features), I'm gonna release the thing, document stuff I've done and make sure it has a license that isn't as restricting as GPL is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EOmrbR ... e=youtu.be
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

jim: Looks cool! Can't wait to see more!
Shpuld: Wonderful! I'm making same thing for CSQC animations! Maybe we'll share ideas some day! :D
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Jim: The level reminds me of the Turok 2 multiplayer maps, which is nice. And the music is catchy, but it needs some more work.

Barnes: The DOF effect could be more intense, maybe. But it looks cool.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Barnes

Post by Barnes »

mankrip wrote:Barnes: The DOF effect could be more intense, maybe. But it looks cool.
It is accessible through the console. I'm not a fan of strong "soap" and set the effect carefully so as not to irritate the eyes
Spiney

Post by Spiney »

Wrote a tutorial on how to make/generate certain kinds of animated textures.
BARF
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Barnes: Looking good. Yea, effects should be used properly, and not too much. Like in some games 50% of the screen is filled with glowing textures, then add bloom and 75% of the screen is just glow.

Shpuld: Cool stuff. Should do something like that eventually myself too.

Spiney: Nice tutorial.

==
In the previous video music, I was testing some samples from an opl3 midi soundfont... I'll probably change the instruments sometime and make it a bit longer. I'm thinking I'd make some 2min long tracks.

Made a new chasecam using .entity clientcamera, replaces the first person view. Overall it's better than the default chasecam, but it kind of lags behind too much, or without the lagging is shaky when turning around. There's still some situations when the camera can go inside a wall and allow player to see through the level, usually when backing into a wall and looking up.

There's 8 ships ingame with different max velocity, acceleration, air and liquid friction. Some move faster in liquids. The enemy flight AI is pretty early WIP. They're like Lost Souls...

2nd Flight Video

zbang!
Barnes

Post by Barnes »

jim wrote:Like in some games 50% of the screen is filled with glowing textures, then add bloom and 75% of the screen is just glow.
Yes..... :cry:
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

jim: nice video. I think you need larger maps, and the flying is looking too much "noclip" with those abrupt stops. Add some inertia on it, and you'll end up with something resembling a bit more Descent.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Some of them are meant to be able to move fast and stop fast, while some others slide longer before stopping. "Trike" can move fast, but it also slides. "Wasp" can move fast and stop fast. "Butterfly" can move fast in air, but becomes slow in water. "Shrimp" moves slow in air, but fast in water. Should probably also do levels that are mostly underwater then.
zbang!
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Looks quite interesting, Jim!
I can't wait to see more :)
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Pretty cool video, Jim. For some reason the graphics seems a lot better than in the previous video.

I've implemented a "heat-based" color shading map for the emitter shading effect, but it still doesn't get as orange&red as I'd like:
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Spiney wrote:Wrote a tutorial on how to make/generate certain kinds of animated textures.
BARF
This is really, really good.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

cool video jim! I'll really follow this project!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine