Why?

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Why?

Post by scar3crow »

Baker started a fairly interesting thread on func_msgboard ( http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=49296 ) asking mappers quite simply... why they map. The most consistent answer it seems is that people find it specifically to be fun, the joy of creating something new, realizing an idea in their head, or the marriage of technical aspects and creative aspects. It also delves into why singleplayer rather than multiplayer.

So in a bout of originality, I ask, why do you code? What do you get out of coming up with new routines, rewriting old ones, and so on?
Entar

Post by Entar »

I'm more of an engine coder, but I have been working with the QC, and my answer pertains to both.

I like creating new things. Programming is a great way to make things without being constrained by things like space like you would be if you wanted to create something that worked with gears, motors, lights and electricity that existed in the physical realm. And of course, you make things with materials - with programming, all you need is a computer and your mind (and maybe an internet connection for downloading utilities like FrikQCC).

Exercising my mind is a bonus :)
HeadThump

Post by HeadThump »

Of late, I have been doing as much coding as I have been mapping, and they both equal a sum I would call my Omega Male tendencies. Ever since highschool, playing AD&D, RuneQuest, and Traveler and the like I was always the one who would be the DM (or in the other games, GameMaster). I loved to create elaborate scenerios and really screw with traditional plotlines until the breaking point.

Now, coding is a part of that whole, together with creating media content, I can make the sort of games I would like to play.

Though the two QuakeC projects I have been involved with, Trinca's base map, and now the Quoth Techbase expansion pack my role has been a supporting position, I still get a lot of satisfaction out of stitching functional code together. When I get back to Mortisville I'll be more able to create the kind of experience I want it to be.

BTW, I haven't bothered to answer the original thread you site yet 'cause that thread recently lost its coolness points 8) by a factor of ten due to somebody who adds a huge amount of suckage to the community answering in it.
Tei

Re: Why?

Post by Tei »

I am a gamer, I play programming and I program what I want to play.
Is also the feel "something new". And the fun of using "alien technology", something crazy new and fun no other lifeform on the universe know about.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

The joy of creating something with my own hands. That and making something that I'd actually enjoy playing. Plus, I like Quake. :wink:
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

I'll have to agree with Dr Shadowborg, the first reason I mod is because I feel there is something I can build and that I would enjoy playing myself. My (few) mods are mods that I wanted to play but simply weren't out there. The ironic thing is, though, is that I mod way more than I play. So I guess I'm also modding just for modding's sake.
Then I guess it's just fun to see you're able to do something that other people will also enjoy. I mean, who here hasn't checked download meters and felt good to see that even a tiny amount of gamers took the time to download our work, tried it and (possibly) enjoyed it? Even though "fame" is obviously not something which, given today's state of Q1 modding/playing, we should really hope for, it's still nice to see there are a handful of people who like what we do :)
Urre

Post by Urre »

You have all presented good points, many of which I consider my reasons as well. Entars point about not being restricted to physical space or limited by mr Newton, is a very good one which I've always felt to be a big deal, in all my computer related creations, sometimes my art as well (yes, I would like to own the cars, build the buildings or be some of the characters I've drawn). I don't just code, I started out mapping, because I had an obsession with imagining real-life places as cool spots to deathmatch in, later on coding because people didn't want to code my insane ideas (insane either in size or style). In any case, I feel extreme satisfaction when I get something to work, and also from structuring code to look neat, as well as refactoring (coding something to do the same but coded differently for readability and/or speed/stability). The latter reasons are rarely something I share with other coders, many would rather just have their code written already, so they can use the program/game (or give to their employer to recieve money). I guess these reasons are also my weaknesses, since I usually can't consider something good enough, it has to be perfect :/

Mostly I just like to create, most of the time for the sake of creating, not because I have something new and fresh to present.
I was once a Quake modder