What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ajay

Post by ajay »

Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Awesome!
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
Junrall

Post by Junrall »

Ajay,
Nice work!... and way to go on showing your ongoing progress!
It shows your pride in what you are creating... kudos to you! :D
Good God! You shot my leg off!
Junrall

QC-Pad Project

Post by Junrall »

Ajay has inspired me!

Well, I am finally working on a project that has an actual goal!
I'm creating my own QC editor called QC-Pad. Egads! I hope that name hasn't been used yet!
I like one or two features of other programing editors, but have yet to find the same features packed into one editor. So, I'm attempting to make my own... one that is simple and has my favorite features that are easily accessible.
Currently I have the basics:
*Create/Delete projects.
*Projects use progs.src to load list boxes.
*Project Info display: progs.dat size, number of files used, total lines of code.
*Tabbed file editing.
*Drag tabs to reorder them.
*Load files from qc file list.
*QC-Pad remembers each project's last opened files and last line being edited in each file.
*Right clicking a tab gives you various options of new, save, and close.

There is still much to do with the basics such as standard text editing procedures: copy, paste, drag/drop.... yadda yadda

Future additions:
*User settings for global program properties and editing properties.
*Update progs.src live as files are added to and from the qc file list.
*Code snipets/clips.
*function search via a drop down list that automatically fills with the current open document functions.
*Standard search options.
*Editable keyword list and highlighting.

One of my goals is to have quick and easy access to things. I personally hate navigating through layers of menus and windows... so I'm going to try to keep it simple by keeping everything in one window by utilizing a few tabs, a few buttons and a comfortable layout that will contain the main features.

I must admit, I now have a new respect for those who build and maintain the mainstream editors! Creating an editor like this is no small task! And I suspect that I will be begging for mercy when it comes time to tackle keyword highlighting!!

Anyways, here are a few screen shots:
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Nice, Junrall. May I give a couple suggestions ?

1) Most programming-oriented editors show source code using a monospaced font by default. This makes the indented code easier to read;
2) Templates or wizards to create new monsters, weapons and/or items would be a plus for the absolute beginners, and something not hard to implement.

Keep it up with the good work!
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
GiffE

Post by GiffE »

Very cool ajay, is this in vanilla quake?

Junrall, also if you get a compiler/output window. A feature I take for granted is double clicking on the error and having it go right to the file and line. :D
ajay

Post by ajay »

FitzQuake 0.85
Junrall

Post by Junrall »

frag.machine wrote:1) Most programming-oriented editors show source code using a monospaced font by default. This makes the indented code easier to read;
2) Templates or wizards to create new monsters, weapons and/or items would be a plus for the absolute beginners, and something not hard to implement.
Yeah, definitely a font change is needed... will change to a monospaced font.
A monster template could actually be included as a code snipet... however a wizard would be fun to implement, but would be a later addition.
GiffE wrote:Junrall, also if you get a compiler/output window. A feature I take for granted is double clicking on the error and having it go right to the file and line. :D
Ha! I too love this feature in other editors as well and do plan to add that, for sure!
r00k

Post by r00k »

syntax highlighting?? :)
Junrall

Post by Junrall »

r00k wrote:syntax highlighting?? :)
Lol, it was on the tip of my brain... just couldn't dredge it up and too tired/lazy to go look it up!
Yeah, what he said! :wink:
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

awesome looking mod and an awesome looking qc-editor . ill definantly play the mod and use the qc-editor . definantly needs syntax high lighting though
Arkage

Post by Arkage »

That qc editor is looking quite nice. Not sure if you know of it or not but http://www.scintilla.org/ . Should make syntax highlighting a breeze.
Junrall

Post by Junrall »

Arkage wrote:That qc editor is looking quite nice. Not sure if you know of it or not but http://www.scintilla.org/ . Should make syntax highlighting a breeze.
Thanks!
Yeah, I have eye-balled Scintilla a bit.... for syntax highlighting capabilities. When that part of QC-Pad is being created I will try my hand at it first, but may take another look at Scintilla if my attempt is a "crash and burn".
I have so many other little things to do that I will have time to ponder and read up on the subject. I think my biggest hurdle with syntax highlighting will be speed... should be fun to figure out though!
Downsider

Post by Downsider »

Baker

Post by Baker »

Looks great Downsider, looks like you are leveraging all your skills.

I do hope you complete one of these and release it.

/What music is playing in the video? I like your taste in music and anything you ever use is always good.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..