scar3crow, Sajt, FrikaC, LordHavoc

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Baker

scar3crow, Sajt, FrikaC, LordHavoc

Post by Baker »

Right or wrong, I consider the sentimental sappiness of scar3crow and Sajt to be the heart of the Quake modding community along with the expected witty FrikaC humor and LordHavoc going into details of his genious way of thinking.

The short version of this poorly worded post is that I am curious if any of the forementioned are going to do or say anything during Quake Expo.

As Func_Msgboard has its various mapping heroes of yore, and even though I do not consider myself part of the "in crowd" of Quake modding [because ... well ... I'm not and kinda do my own thing really ...], I am just wondering whether or not any of the forementioned people who really have carried the flag all these years have something they are doing or saying during Quake Expo this year.

In fact, consider this more of a rhetorical question and a hope rather than something to respond to. In many ways on the engine side, things feel warm and toasty with living legends like MH and Spike still actively sharing their wealth of wisdom. And in the mapping community, you have the likes of Necros and Tronyn (and even Metlslime) releasing maps giving a sense of continuity.

I'm not going to claim this post is very well focused. I just in my heart would consider a Quake Expo without the above (plus probably Error, CocoT and Entar) to feel slightly lacking of the grand wizards we've all come to love over the years.

/End sappy but true post. To some extent, there is a craving for the presence of the old school championship football squad making a cameo.
Last edited by Baker on Mon May 23, 2011 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Entar

Post by Entar »

Even though I haven't been particularly active in the Quake modding scene for a while, I'm planning on doing a little something for the Quake Expo this year, at least.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Entar wrote:Even though I haven't been particularly active in the Quake modding scene for a while, I'm planning on doing a little something for the Quake Expo this year, at least.
Cool. I'm sentimental and I think most people want to see some of the familiar faces around.

[I made sure to download the Vengeance R2 stuff from QuakeDev for my personal use. I'd like to gain knowledge from your many various experiments, to the extent that long ago I uploaded the Vengeance R2 video to YouTube for preservation.]
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

where's this video?
Labman

Post by Labman »

Maybe we should think of changing the format of Quake Expo, I don't think their is enough people working on quake projects any more to make the original format work.
Supa

Post by Supa »

For what it's worth - I am working on a fairly ambitious personal project alongside RMQ, and though it's likely that it won't be ready for a public release until the end of this year I am planning on recording some promo videos. :) And as far as RMQ goes we're on track for another SP demo too.

It would be nice to see more community events in general, however, as the speed events have always played a key role in keeping each expo from feeling like a recycled project link exchange.
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Baker

Post by Baker »

Supa wrote:and though it's likely that it won't be ready for a public release until the end of this year I am planning on recording some promo videos. :) And as far as RMQ goes we're on track for another SP demo too.
Both of those will be fun to see.
Labman wrote:Maybe we should think of changing the format of Quake Expo, I don't think their is enough people working on quake projects any more to make the original format work.
As long as there is at least one more fairly fun Quake Expo (2011), I think most people will consider it a success. It seems like all the Quakes have reduced development activity, maybe due to the age or what not, or more prominent projects eating up all the oxygen (for example, in Quake 3 I think Open Arena and ioQuake 3 probably cover most of the bases and a lot of Q3 has been redirected towards QuakeLive.)

I don't claim to know much about Quake 2, but you'd think incompatible engine-specific game .dlls probably have it fragmented to death in Tower of Babel style aside from things like Alien Arena and whatever other projects have accumulated enough "gravity" to be self-sufficient.

/End ambiguous speculation
LordHavoc

Post by LordHavoc »

I'm interested in QuakeExpo 2011 but I have not yet seen any details on when it will open publicly, and am too busy to do anything more than a last minute effort, so I actually do need to know when that "deadline" is to whip up something.
Baker

Post by Baker »

LordHavoc wrote:I'm interested in QuakeExpo 2011 but I have not yet seen any details on when it will open publicly
Quake Expo 2011 will be held June 19-25, 2011 http://expo2011.quakewiki.net/ Registration and booth setup can be done now, though, I've been told.
LordHavoc wrote:and am too busy to do anything more than a last minute effort, so I actually do need to know when that "deadline" is to whip up something.
I think everyone suspected as much :P
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Baker wrote:(for example, in Quake 3 I think Open Arena and ioQuake 3 probably cover most of the bases and a lot of Q3 has been redirected towards QuakeLive.)
I think Q3 is dominated by Urban Terror more than anything. It has by far more players than any Q3 mod, or VQ3, all put together. Hell, it might even be more popular than Quake Live. Tremulous is still somewhat popular, though they haven't had a release in over five years. Don't forget about World Of Padman either, while oddly not very popular, it's maybe the best of the Q3 based games out there.

Via Tastyspleen, Q2 is still pretty active, though more though players rather than modding, as far as I know anyway. There are still some Q2 engines being actively worked on such as Q2XP and Beserker@Q2. Don't forget about Overdose either, which might be the most impressive Quake based game to date, if it ever gets completed. It's engine tech is the most advanced of any Quake based engine from a rendering standpoint. Though based on Q2, Alien Arena and Warsow are far enough removed that I don't really consider them part of the Q2 scene so to speak, but they are certainly still part of the "Quake" scene. I know that we will have an Alien Arena booth, I figure Warsow will if they are made aware of the expo dates.

Obviously the Quake scene is not the same as it was in the glory days of 1996-2000. Hell, most of the people I knew and worked with back then have been looooooong gone. The once mighty Planetquake is all but dead now, thanks to IGN forgetting it's roots. That is to be expected of course. Things change, others fade with time. People move on in life. When id made it's engine sources public, that changed a lot of things as well. The focus went from mods to improving engines, and making standalone games. In fact, in someways, the era of 2001-2008 might have even been better given the amount of amazing stand-alone games that were born of it. During the years that QuakeSrc.com was around, many of those people congregated there, and many great ideas were shared.

Now, there is certainly some sadness as I look over the landscape of Quake. Many of the large projects seem to slowed down, many without releases in years(though still promising them). There doesn't seem to be any central congretating space where devs from all 3 Quake's hang out(I don't count Q4, btw), though this site seems closest to it. It's however encouraging to see the occasional new face around here(the legitimate ones, not the Chinese housewives earning money by spamming threads for companies). It's amazing to me, that fifteen years later, Quake is still being modded, still talked about, and that some of the people around here have been around for the duration of it.
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Baker wrote:the sentimental sappiness of scar3crow and Sajt
Is this why he and I bicker like an old couple? =D

I have nothing planned for QExpo this year, I am if anything a "sidelines facilitator" or some such for Quake, and most of my presence in much of anything has declined due my recent instability and multiple uprootings. I am however working on something Quake-ish with a few key people, but it is on a longer term scale than a QExpo.

I can try to be present for this expo, but that boils down to the actual Day to Day availability of work and errands.

Supa's secret project is awesome by the way.
Irritant wrote:It's amazing to me, that fifteen years later, Quake is still being modded, still talked about, and that some of the people around here have been around for the duration of it.
When I started in Quake my voice was just beginning to change. Now I'm married, have lived in 3 of the 4 corners of the nation and am on my second job in the game industry, keeping a weary eye toward the next decade marker. But Quake is still here, and it is still one of my homes.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Baker

Post by Baker »

scar3crow wrote:I have nothing planned for QExpo this year, I am if anything a "sidelines facilitator" or some such for Quake, and most of my presence in much of anything has declined due my recent instability and multiple uprootings. I am however working on something Quake-ish with a few key people, but it is on a longer term scale than a QExpo.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. But some of the bonds we have all developed over the years are about friendship.

If you don't stop and smell the flowers from time to time, how can you ever prove you lived?

And that would make some lower lifeform mad at you.

Like a dung beetle or a protozoa or a sea cucumber or even a land cucumber!

And these creatures --- especially the land cucumber -- will go on a tirade about how a sophisticated upper echelon supergiant life-form is dominated by mundane tasks so much as to not take advantage of stepping to the podium and typing some esoteric rant on a web page when everyone will be listening.

I don't even have anything to do with Quake Expo 2011 -- well I signed up for a booth -- but I expect "the Quakes" to either die (yeah right) or transcend into a more general gaming platform like the direction that most of the engine knowledge and even some of the mods have been heading into that ambiguously defined DarkPlaces/FTEQW/Remake Quake/PSP/Xonotic region that one way or another ... represents a distinct turn of the page into a distinctly different era. An era that, say, Quake Terminus couldn't quite relate to and that even troubles Quaddicted now (Drake).

I guess I am saying, this could be the last "Quake Expo" in the way we presently have become accustomed to relating to it, with the future being more unexpected and involving creatures with very large brains, remote controls with only 3 buttons, dodgeballs, eerie places with 257 colors, microwaves that know when the food is cooked and odd concepts are all around like being able to go back to the previous map and all the monsters you killed are still dead.
revelator

Post by revelator »

still working on realm and its comming along but slowly since a few parts need a total rewrite.

biggest problem atm is the 3d hud which is very early code and has some annoying bugs (crashes when and if currententity == cl.viewent) means no hud in say zerstoerer mh fixed that part later on but moving the new code in has proven to be a bit of an excersise.

apart from that it seems to be missing some rogue stuff (selecting the grappling hook crashes the client even the demo crashes :lol: ).

then i need to finish bumpmapping on alias models and change the rest of the engine to use vertex arrays / vbo.

the good part atm is very good support for (larger than life maps) i tested maps that would crash most normal quake clients and they run without a hickup on realm :)

it also has very good modder support since i use the VM from aguires quake and the engine will auto change protocol for stuff that normal quake cant run.

reminds me i need to reimplement skyboxes ... allthough missing those wont crash it id rather have atleast good support for it for modders.

so a ton of work ahead of me :)
goldenboy

Post by goldenboy »

As for my part in the whole mess, there will be plenty turning of pages this QExpo.

:lol:
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

I'll be there, with new downloadable content (the scale of which might be a little limited, we'll see how much I have on my hands) :)
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!