What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
leileilol

Re: What are you working on?

Post by leileilol »

i just hope the alien doesn't have the same clipping audio stock alien scream noise. Abuse's sound effects weren't Bobby Prince's best except for the ambience
i should not be here
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

I noticed the end half of the "alien scream" sound of used in Quake with Shalrath/Vore attack&death sounds. It's also the Doom Hell Knight death sound. I think it's some cat or something. I had a crappy sample of it in some crappy sample cd with names of the sounds. I'm going to scream something myself :o

The size for the monster depends on which level format I'll use. With q1bsp it should be kinda squeezed, so it would better fit the smaller hitbox, without too much model being outside the box. Now there's already a little bit outside.
zbang!
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

you're right. then again Sound Ideas is Bobby Prince's best friend anyway. Many sounds pretty much unmodified straight from it with nothing more than resampling exists in Doom and Abuse
i should not be here
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

It's also used in Heretic on those Clink enemies as their sight sound, but it's maybe a different recording. These enemies also feature another "alien scream" as their idle sound, which was used as alien death sound in the first x-com game (before some patch changed the sound).

Also I just recently heard some Quake sounds in X-Files. The rotten medikit pickup sound was used when the alien bounty hunter changed his appearance the first time. In another episode when a boat sinks, it sounds like the ambience/water1 sound.
zbang!
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Also I just recently heard some Quake sounds in X-Files. The rotten medikit pickup sound was used when the alien bounty hunter changed his appearance the first time. In another episode when a boat sinks, it sounds like the ambience/water1 sound.
Please please tell me which episodes! I love X-files!
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Sound Ideas is so common in professional sound production, you'll soon say "A QUAKE SOUND IN SAILOR MOON"

and unfortunately, it's why I have to do sounds by myself since there are allegedly 'from scratch' sound engineers that submit such library-derived things and deny the origin.
i should not be here
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

what do you use to make sounds from scratch leilei? Do you use your mic and then edit the wave or do you instead create a synthethic sound?
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

a combination of mic, and noise generation with pitch bend/fft filter effects. I use Cool Edit 96 (in other words, a very early Adobe Audition). I'm aware of Audacity but that feels extremely imprecise with its select and zoom tools and poor Netscape 6-inspired interface.
i should not be here
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

Sound Forge has a draw feature. Can just draw the sound. I did my minigun fire sound by drawing some "pop" and mixing it together with some noise I had done earlier, or maybe it was some heavy reverb and stuff on the "pop". I also drawed some grenade launcher "plop-click" and rocket launcher "plop" like in Doom. But the rocket launcher sound got too much bass or some annoying frequency, so now I just have the rocket ignition sound pitched down a little, which seems to be ok.

X-Files.. the water sound is in Quagmire (S3E22). The medikit sound is somewhere earlier, maybe season 2, whatever was the first episode with the alien bounty hunter?
zbang!
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

leileilol wrote:a combination of mic, and noise generation with pitch bend/fft filter effects.
Cool, thanks.
leileilol wrote:I'm aware of Audacity but that feels extremely imprecise with its select and zoom tools
yeah, completely agree
jim wrote:Sound Forge has a draw feature. Can just draw the sound.
Never heard of it. Thanks
jim wrote:X-Files.. the water sound is in Quagmire (S3E22). The medikit sound is somewhere earlier, maybe season 2, whatever was the first episode with the alien bounty hunter?
Thanks! Umm.. I'll find out!
Eukara

Post by Eukara »

Wavosaur is similar to old versions of Soundforge. Sadly only on Windows but at least you can make Quake sounds loop with it!!! :D

(it's free) exclamationpoint
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Experimenting with our new terrain rendering tech...

http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
Spike

Post by Spike »

needs greater texture variation, or something.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Don't get me wrong, I love the work you're doing to AA and I completely understand that these are just tests but to consider terrain system as today's standard it should have:
- a rich editor with sculpting features (possibly with texture mask option) to carve, smooth and raise/bump terrain geometry
- modern overlay material system to mimic different kind of terrain
- vegetation system (grass, trees) possibly with paint system

I repeat, don't want that these seem critics. I saw interior levels design in Xonotic and I said "Wow, cool", then I saw exteriors maps with terrains and I said "Wow, that's the ugliest thing I've ever seen in my whole life (not game related necessary) !" :)
IMHO, for terrains, Quake based engine should stick to OBJs hulls models. I think it's possible to create more realistic results
SusanMDK

Post by SusanMDK »

They need some flatter tops and edges on the mountains. It looks like it's those mountains you see in Indiana Jones 3 beginning.. but then they were made from cheese and started to melt in the sunlight.
zbang!