What are you working on?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ceriux

Re: What are you working on?

Post by ceriux »

sock! your mapping skills are awesome! <3 btw baker has been working on something that i think would be pretty awesome in your mod. =)
ajay

Post by ajay »

ceriux wrote:i really like this screen

although instead of brick i think a darker concrete there would look better.
Yep, I pretty much agree with you. It's only brick as the source (real world) place it's loosely based upon used them. I've spent awhile trying other textures but haven't quite found a better replacement. It'll do until I do!

EDIT: took your advice and used the darker concrete that's on top of the square pillars and sides. Looks much better, ta. :)
Last edited by ajay on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

leileilol wrote:die
I think the camera effect at the end of the video would look better if you make the camera stop rotating when it touches the ceiling.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

Those walls might be meant as a trick to simulate line of sight shadows.
^^ thats what I thought immediately. I saw the effect first in monaco I think.
Looks great in that mod, please keep it!
sock

Post by sock »

@ceriux, really? what has baker been up to lately? he really needs to post something in this thread!

Another brushwork offcut, a door to nowhere!
Well he was evil, but he did build a lot of roads. - Gogglor
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

sock i love your brushwork on all the castle like structures you do. baker is working on a system that allows you to travel back and forth between map while saving data on entities. so when you go back its like you have already been there. someone called it a hub system.

http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2307
jitspoe

Post by jitspoe »

That looks lovely. What are you doing for the lighting? Do you just add a bunch of point lights?
ajay

Post by ajay »

That's awesome sock. Did you use a terrain generator for the 'cliff'/rockface or did you do it 'by hand'?

http://earthquakemod.wordpress.com/2013 ... 3_09_2013/ - my latest update
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

ajay wrote:The light levels I’m not so pleased with; it’s meant to be a particularly dark place, but as I’ve mentioned before fog tends to brighten the overall map brightness, so I’m trying to keep the street lights low, however make them too dull and they fail to stand out in the way they should – too bright and the spooky/darkness is ruined. I think I may have to have some of the lights not working and the working ones brighter. W.I.P.
What fog values are you using, ajay ? I'd suggest to experiment something like '0.15 0.15 0.15' (a very dark gray but not completely black) to avoid excessive brightness.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
sock

Post by sock »

@ceriux, that is an interesting idea, I hope Baker finds the time to implement it. I always liked the hub system of early games like Hexen and HL and with some nice custom maps it could really be fun to play with.

@jitspoe, I am using regular lights with high diffuse values. I also use a slight fog (matched to the sky) to create a nice ambient glow at distance.
@ajay, I built the cliffs by hand, very quick and easy to create. I wrote various tutorials on how it works. I have plenty of example maps on my site you can download to see how it is done. (source files included)
gnounc

Post by gnounc »

Fte supports hub maps.
I was using them for my defunct quakelands mod.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Yeah and that would turn ITS into something horribly engine dependent... there's a way for hub-ish behavior by clever FRIK_FILE though, and plenty of engines support that extension.
i should not be here
Spike

Post by Spike »

you can get hub-ish behaviour via using serverflags too, which might make more sense than all the entities spontaneously freezing... but yeah, frik_file does at least give full control over stuff like that, even if its a lot of work.
r00k

Post by r00k »

sock

Post by sock »

@R00k, I like the idea of the zombies from bodies but why is the gun glowing when they hit you? Do you have an objective planned for the zombies? I really hope you create unique levels for your mod. What do you plan to do with the non-humanoid monster types?