THE HORROR

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Supa

Post by Supa »

Um, okaaay..

LTH, are you still working on this? Have you come up with a solution for keeping the cursor from catching on lampposts and buildings yet?
Last edited by Supa on Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Xlink

Post by Team Xlink »

Baker wrote:
Team Xlink wrote:He hates releasing the source code.
Sucks to be him. His engine won't go anywhere or ever get debugged and he'll have to write everything himself.

I've never seen a closed-source Quake engine worth a shit, frankly. There was XQuake, Hyperdrive and probably many others. Ever heard of them? Of course not. They get forgotten really quickly and are typically clunkers.

In fact, good single author Quake engines don't exist and the ones that appear to be from a single author, aren't actually single author engines but rather gained insight from other engines, feedback, discussion, tutorials or test implementations of ideas.

Which is to say peer-review and discussion = quality. Open source and collaboration = speed and power.

Which is why open source projects like Nexuiz build towering empires and closed source projects build tombstones.

Not really important, but a license violating author means the guy doesn't have enough social skills or common sense to be successful. And projects like that have to skulk around and live in the "ghettos" and the unbelly of the internet. Sounds like a winning formula to me!

Evolution: it weeds out bad practices.
That is very true.

Although I have noticed that sometimes when you release your source code to an engine no one really cares, but I still prefer to have stuff open source whether or not it helps at all.
avirox

Post by avirox »

Team Xlink wrote:
Baker wrote:
Team Xlink wrote:He hates releasing the source code.
Sucks to be him. His engine won't go anywhere or ever get debugged and he'll have to write everything himself.

I've never seen a closed-source Quake engine worth a shit, frankly. There was XQuake, Hyperdrive and probably many others. Ever heard of them? Of course not. They get forgotten really quickly and are typically clunkers.

In fact, good single author Quake engines don't exist and the ones that appear to be from a single author, aren't actually single author engines but rather gained insight from other engines, feedback, discussion, tutorials or test implementations of ideas.

Which is to say peer-review and discussion = quality. Open source and collaboration = speed and power.

Which is why open source projects like Nexuiz build towering empires and closed source projects build tombstones.

Not really important, but a license violating author means the guy doesn't have enough social skills or common sense to be successful. And projects like that have to skulk around and live in the "ghettos" and the unbelly of the internet. Sounds like a winning formula to me!

Evolution: it weeds out bad practices.
That is very true.

Although I have noticed that sometimes when you release your source code to an engine no one really cares, but I still prefer to have stuff open source whether or not it helps at all.
Technically I thought the GPL license means he absolutely HAS to make the source open?

At any rate, LTH - get ye on irc some time. I have an idea for your mod, and some other stuff to discuss :P
Baker

Post by Baker »

avirox wrote:Technically I thought the GPL license means he absolutely HAS to make the source open?
Trying not derail the thread away from this mod --- I tried it and it was very interesting and funny that dogs were in most ways the most troublesome monsters -- but my response goes like this:

Over time I have realized the -- for the lack of a better word -- "power" of open source and it's ability to shape environments and collect resources like a snowball.

Closed source deters resources and inhibits the influence of a project or an author's work. Open source magnifies influence, feed ideas, communication. Open source also leads to superior practices, like (almost) never losing your source code, having fallback checkpoints, pushing you to write better code and taking more time to make it look respectable.

Closed source is an author killing their "legacy" and steeply limiting the value and influence of their work. Usually in an attempt to get 15 minutes of "attention", sacrificing the idea of their work having a more permanent footprint and selling themselves short on the idea they have something to contribute.

I could talk license violations and such, but licenses aren't the reason I have evolved to see the true impact of open source.

/Sorry for yet again getting caught up in a tangent in this thread