Know what I HATE!!!

Non-technical talk about multiplayer and singleplayer gameplay and game design.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Know what I HATE!!!

Post by Error »

Shub can't DO ANYTHING!!!!!

It sits there and does.... nothing.... it's a pointless fight. The mother doesn't even protect it's young.

Worst boss to a game ever.
RenegadeC

Post by RenegadeC »

I agree. I had a neat idea for it's tendrils to shoot out electricity but it doesn't help that Shub has well.. barely any animation.
A few idea that may work are:

Room shakes caused by Shub, debris falls from the ceiling on you while punchangle is being thrown around (maybe add semi drunk movement ;)).

Maybe it can turn to face you and manipulate the animation so that it expands and contracts and shoots acidic blood at you through it's "face" ...

but yeah, crappy end boss.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

RenegadeC wrote:I agree. I had a neat idea for it's tendrils to shoot out electricity but it doesn't help that Shub has well.. barely any animation.
A few idea that may work are:

Room shakes caused by Shub, debris falls from the ceiling on you while punchangle is being thrown around (maybe add semi drunk movement ;)).

Maybe it can turn to face you and manipulate the animation so that it expands and contracts and shoots acidic blood at you through it's "face" ...

but yeah, crappy end boss.

I had a QC patch wrote by a friend where Shub actually "pukes" monsters on you to defend herself. It shouldn't be hard to implement it using the expand/contract animations.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

I implemented tentacles that would come out of the ground and strike the player once. It's hard to come up with ideas that someone can implement without new animations.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Then make new animations? Can't be too hard to bone up the tentacles in qME and do something with them...
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

The Cranked patch has shub periodically firing out voreballs that spew view wonking radiusdamage.

I'd been planning on working on this for QSR, my vision would require a new map (was planning on taking elements from original end.bsp and combining it with RPG's "Die in the End" from Quake Condensed).

The fight would orient around Doom2's Icon of Sin monsterspawining (obviously less spammy on the monster spawning and with quoth corpse removal) coupled with a groundquake attack that temporarily makes it difficult for the player to move (but didn't impair your foes. Hey, she has to at least weigh a few tons and probably has tentacles in the ground too =P) and Cranked's homing voreball. (only spawning three instead of just one) Also, you would have to destroy certain bits of the terrain / area to release the roving teleball and render shub vulnerable to the dastardly telefrag.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

I think Shub is the kind of boss where the modder must rely in the environment to turn the combat worthy. Combining map resources with QuakeC and the few animation frames is hard, but in the end you can get a good result.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Orion

Post by Orion »

I agree.

I was thinking of making Shub have some attacks, but I think he doesn't have the proper animations... just that one that he contracts and expands his body.

I've made a single frame used for concentrating and firing a powerful lightning beam, which does 600 damage per second (can kill a shambler in this time).

Cool, isn't?
That should put some life into him.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Orion wrote:I was thinking of making Shub have some attacks, but I think he doesn't have the proper animations...
she
i should not be here
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

leileilol wrote:
Orion wrote:I was thinking of making Shub have some attacks, but I think he doesn't have the proper animations...
she
"it" would fit as well.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

But Shub is a She.... it's a well known fact
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Are we discussing Quake bosses genders ? :P
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Not anymore. It was cleared up quickly. Everybody knows Shub is a she. Or at least "Quake" is a she.
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Sajt wrote:Not anymore. It was cleared up quickly. Everybody knows Shub is a she. Or at least "Quake" is a she.
Interesting. I never thought about Quake a) not being male and b) being the same entity as Shub. But granted, "she" is better suited to describe Shub Niggurath.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

Oops, you're right, Quake is referred to with the male pronoun ("...or... it") in the manual. Shub, however, is a female, as you can see from the episode finale messages.

Though the game itselfs suggests that Quake and Shub are the same thing (probably to give some sense of "winning" after killing Shub), I perceive them as different: Shub is one of Quake's countless lieutenants. Quake is some unknowable Lovecraftian force represented by all the beasties and varmints of the nether regions (no, not crabs). Shub is just the queen bee of one colony (or four episodes).