What you would be working on for QExpo 2008

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Gasp!

I think so!
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

I'll have something for it
i should not be here
Urre

Post by Urre »

Yes, but I think what Mauve was asking was, is anyone actually holding it, or is everyone in denial and just happily working on their mods?
I was once a Quake modder
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Yup. It's all well and good everyone getting ready for a qexpo, but as far a I know we have no host, no site and noone running it. Unless someone takes charge pretty soon, it won't happen.

And no, I'm not doing it again.
Apathy Now!
ShoTro

Post by ShoTro »

MauveBib wrote:Yup. It's all well and good everyone getting ready for a qexpo, but as far a I know we have no host, no site and noone running it. Unless someone takes charge pretty soon, it won't happen.

And no, I'm not doing it again.
Ok, so what is needed and when? How much room and resources are we talking about?
Shoot everything that moves. When it stops moving shoot it again just for good measure.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Well theoretically we can use the php Sajt did for the 06 expo, if he's fine with that. We still have QuakeExpo.com which hosts previous expos, aside from the lost one hosted on condemned... So there is a booth system, and host, we just need a design for 08, and a host to do it.

Theoretically I could be up for doing it again, but I don't know what my work situation is going to be this summer, it also breaks precedent, and also, QExpo thus far has been a bit Inside3d-centric. I would nominate one of the more even-kilter members of Func.
CocoT

Post by CocoT »

Having someone from Func look over this project would indeed be interesting, it would give it a slightly different twist (and somehow, give them justice, as many mappers have also contributed to the success of QExpo in the past). I agree with you that it has been pretty I3D-centric so far. Now, I don't want to sound bitter, but I'd be of course curious to see if people over at Func, if they had started such an event themselves, would happily give the reign to us, but, hey, it does not mean we can't be open-minded and do it. Plus, there are of course a lot of nice people, there, too. [sarcasm]As long as they don't ask all the mods presented to run on regular quake.exe, I'm fine with experimenting with that[/sarcasm].
That said, of all the people here, if the "moderator" for this event had to come from I3D, you'd be one of my first choices, Scar. It's true the fact that the position went from people to people in the last few years was kind of cool, but, after all, it really does not need to be set in stone. I understand you might feel unsure because of work, though. I would be in absolutely no position to do it myself for similar reasons.
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

There is certainly no set rule that it has to be hosted by different people every time. Having someone host it twice is a lot better than it not happening at all!
Apathy Now!
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Well, I wouldn't mind doing it, I am kind of the news-posty person. And with phrases like news-posty, you know I do quality! If work is a conflict, I would propose as another alternative, and to some this may be radical, Jehar who does commentary of Q2 clan matches (they seem to have an amazing tight knit community over at TastySpleen). I will attest to his writing skill, insight, sense of gameplay, and I bet Lardarse, Sajt and LordHavoc can do the same as well.

I don't know, but we should get the ball rolling soon (granted the 06 Expo was tossed together in basically under 2 weeks, aside from the Romero interview which I did gradually over time).
Quest

Post by Quest »

I suppose the other age old question is allowing booths for quake 2, 3, etc. but I think getting hosting&site should be established first.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

We have hosting courtesy of Echon via QuakeExpo.com unless he decided to pull the plug for the next expo.

So we need a person to host, and a site design. We can reincarnate the php from the 06 expo if Sajt approves of using it, since it is his code. For a host, I still propose that Jehar do it. He commands a deal of respect amongst the Q2 crowd, and he enjoys Quake and Q3A. He also at one point interviewed Sandy Peterson (about Lovecraft in general).

I guess we should try harder on differing between a webhost, and an event host, because I suspect what I just said was redundant =)

I say allow Q2 and Q3A, they're both opensource, and it Echon is more Q2 than Quake after all, so it would just be rude to not have it. Besides, we've had it the past few expos and it hasn't hurt anyone, and the 06 Expo was extremely Quake focused (logically since it was an anniversary expo).
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Have you approached Jehar about running it? Do you even know for sure that he's interested in doing so?

I have no problem in principle in him doing so.

Perhaps a joint hosting with someone from each quake game community?
Apathy Now!
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I have, he thus far thinks it is quite doable and likes the idea. I know he plans on attending QuakeCon this year (he was there last year as well) so if those overlap, it could be interesting the way he would do coverage. I just don't think he checks the i3d forums, but I could probably get him to hop on here and throw in his 2 cents.

I have offered also to help him cover the news, much in the same way that Sajt helped me out in the news coverage, because of the sheer volume. It also varies the personality and style, as Sajt had a different writing style and sense of humor about his posts.
MauveBib

Post by MauveBib »

Multiple newshounds is definately a good thing. I did it solo and it was a lot of work!

I'd be interested in doing news for the next qexpo if someone else is taking charge.
Apathy Now!
Quest

Post by Quest »

spreading the news between 2 or 3 people is definitely needed (been there, done that myself). It's also helpful to have shifts so you don't get double posts.