blender question

Discuss the creation of various model formats for Quake engines, and related matters to modeling.
ceriux

blender question

Post by ceriux »

i know theres a mdl export tool but has it been updated? i've been learning blender 2.8 was curious if there was an updated export tool that i could mess around with.
frag.machine

Re: blender question

Post by frag.machine »

I don't know if anyone is keeping those plugins up to date (never used Blender), but in your place I would export my Blender model to .md3 and then convert it to .mdl using Noesis, or even use directly the .md3 if your engine of choice is FTE or other supporting the format.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Spike

Post by Spike »

you might want to use iqm instead, if you were targetting fte (or dp). the iqm sdk is apparently updated for blender 2.8 too.
either that or the .glb (or .gltf2) format (with fte's 'models' plugin providing a loader for that format, along with an exporter bundled with blender 2.8 iiuc).
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

well the reason i keep to mdl is so that my models stay usable by any engine. however exporting to md3 then converting might be the best bet.
madf0x

Post by madf0x »

ceriux

Post by ceriux »

JasonX

Post by JasonX »

holy shit thats awesome. finally a good pipeline