Blood in OpenGL finally

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
revelator

Blood in OpenGL finally

Post by revelator »

Yes :) the guy that made the bloodcm eduke32 port of the original blood game has recreated the engine (in java of all things...) besides that it works rather ok but there are still a few bugs to hammer out.

But having to install JRE to play a game is just ewww, so i used an AOT compiler and made a (not completely but managable) standalone exe out of it.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadva ... z/download

You need to own a copy of blood to use this.

Drop the files from the archive inside your blood dir, and you are ready to go :).

It also play's cryptic passage, but there are a few bugs you might notice with some textures going mirror like.
Productivity is a state of mind.
revelator

Re: Blood in OpenGL finally

Post by revelator »

New version was posted yesterday so i made a new launcher, then one hour later there was yet another new version lol :lol:
Ill upload the new launcher tomorrow.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Grr just noticed that my launcher bugged out when the java bytecode compiler was not installed, fixed it but sourceforge is down atm, ill upload it soon.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

You man, are incredible! Your skills go from c to java to compilers, your knowledge is universal! :biggrin:

PS:I noticed too that SourceForge has became target of many Ddos attacks, lately. Almost down all the time
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
revelator

Post by revelator »

Actually i started in qbasic way back before even dos :) but over the years i picked up a few things in other languages.
My biggest problem has allways been the math since algebra was in its infancy in denmark at the time where i went to school, so i had to take the longer and harder way when needed. This also ment that i newer got as far as making my own engine from scratch since it would have taken me forever to get all the things to line up.

Now at the twilight of quake and with dwindling interrest in the more recent doom engines i focus more on making the toolsets used
easier for the novices to get into.

Oh and java is not that hard when you allready code in C++ :) the syntax is almost the same.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

The more I see your skills the more I think you'd be the man for a very important update to FTE.
I'm talking about dynamic parallel lights (dynamic sun lights) and Visual Studio solution.

with just(?!?) these 2 additions (and with the work I'm doing right now on gamecode) FTE would look not anymore as a Quake engine, but as a game engine on its own.
I know I said that many times, probably too many times, but it's because I strongly believe in what I'm saying.

The cool part is that there are open source engines like Tesseract that have all the rendering features we'd need (GI,AO,dynamic sun lights,etc) but unfortunately it's impossible to find someone that wants to implement them. Same story for Visual Studio solution. Right now, to compile FTE on windows, you have to download idontknowhowmanygigsof cigwin64(32 version WON'T work) and use an external editor to see project files. Visual studio doesn't work on compilation. As I'm writing I noticed that Spike added cmake support in v5217 release but not sure it would work. Anyway (since 60/70% of devs use Windows) a .sln file for VS2015/2017 would be great :biggrin:
Baker

Post by Baker »

toneddu2000 wrote:You man, are incredible!
I will attest to revelator being incredible. I use his pthreads native compile for Visual Studio all the time.

And not just!

He does great work!
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
revelator

Post by revelator »

Thanks guys :) not sure i deserve all this praise but if i can help lay it on me.

cmake works fine on windows so making it spit out solutions for any version of msvc should be pretty easy, upside to that is that its cross platform so it will work for win mac linux etc. if supported by the code itself. I can make a set of batch files that do just that,
if you have cmake installed. Atm im in bed though with a nasty flu at my moms house (both of us actually), so it will take a little before i can look into it.

GLSL or vulkan shaders would probably be the best bet for FTE for effects such as dynamic sun, lensflares, godrays and such.
Some of it should actually allready be supported i think but spike should have a better idea about the capabilities of FTE.

Glad you like the pthread port, it does indeed make threading easier :)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

revelator wrote:Atm im in bed though with a nasty flu at my moms house (both of us actually), so it will take a little before i can look into it.
Sorry to hear that. Don't worry, I'm not in a hurry. Those was just things that I'd like to see in FTE but that's it :biggrin:
revelator wrote:GLSL or vulkan shaders would probably be the best bet for FTE for effects such as dynamic sun, lensflares, godrays and such.
Godrays are implemented in FTE, but what I'm asking cannot be accomplished trough shaders. I'm talking about this. As you can see those are dynamic parallel lights beams that hit objects in real-time and re-draw scene every frame, just like point lights, but casting parallel shadows. Plus, Tesseract engine (which it's just Cube engine 2 at maximum power) adds Global illumination and Ambient Occlusion as post processing. I'm trying to add AO in FTE but I'm not sure I'll succeed
revelator

Post by revelator »

As promised, and now using openjdk instead of the commercial jet runtime.

If you have the gog one unit whole blood version just drop the contents in the folder with the game files and run BloodGDX.exe :),
it also works with the cryptic passage addon.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

revelator wrote:As promised, and now using openjdk instead of the commercial jet runtime.

If you have the gog one unit whole blood version just drop the contents in the folder with the game files and run BloodGDX.exe :),
it also works with the cryptic passage addon.
A 415 MB install just to run this game?

Anyway, it works wonderfully. Thanks!
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
revelator

Post by revelator »

high def voxels included, and the openjdk package could probably be made a bit smaller,
Ill see what i can do to get the size down some more.

But since the engine is java based, it will allways have a size disadvantage unless you want to use java without local bindings,
(i could do a package that would just use a system installed java also) this would bring down the size to allmost nothing.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

revelator wrote:high def voxels included, and the openjdk package could probably be made a bit smaller,
Ill see what i can do to get the size down some more.

But since the engine is java based, it will allways have a size disadvantage unless you want to use java without local bindings,
(i could do a package that would just use a system installed java also) this would bring down the size to allmost nothing.
Unless at very specific cases like applications that need to compile code dinamically generated at runtime, you can replace the JDK (which brings everything including the kitchen sink because it is a *development* installation) with the JRE (which brings only the required libraries for like 99% of the use cases).
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
revelator

Post by revelator »

only problem so far has been finding a jre only package with openjdk.
i tried by just including the jre folder from openjdk, but it breaks the engine.
so i might have to use the official jre instead.
revelator

Post by revelator »

ah shucks, the official jre is just about 100 mb short of the full jdk,
seems no matter how i wrench this it is going to be a rather big download for what was originally a dos game :shock:
Still i will upload a version with this so that we might atleast spare a few hundred mb's.

Personally i would have prefered a version of bloodgdx in C or C++ but the author has made it abundantly clear that he will not opensource it, so we might have to live with it for now.