Quake Mod Showcase

The home for dedicated threads to specific projects, be they mods, tools, or independent games.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Quake Mod Showcase

Post by scar3crow »

This sub-forum is becoming the Quake Mod Showcase to broaden its focus and give dedicated mod threads a place to live without getting lost in the miscellany of General Discussion. All existing posts will remain.

If you are wanting to start a discussion of an existing Quake mod, rather than one of your own projects in the works, leave a request in this thread. I'd like the first post in any mod thread to be a home for download links and screenshots.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
toneddu2000

Re: Quake Mod Showcase

Post by toneddu2000 »

really no idea why you crippled "Indipendent Game development" section like that. Changing the section to "Quake Mod Showcase" implicitly make all projects posted here as relatable to Quake, which it's (at least for me) something I don't want. I started fteskel because I wanted to show that FTEQW is a lot more than just a "Quake engine", but a free platform to make cool standalone games (as Shpuld fantastically has shown with his awesome games).
Tbh, considering to develop features, addons, patches, etc, to something that it will be considered a "Quake mod", make me lose any incentive in keep it up dev.
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

I agree.

The subforum shouldn't have been called "Quake Mod Showcase" due to the shared nature of things.

I suggest that it should be named something like "The Project Directory" or something like that.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

What about "Community Projects" ? IMHO works well not only for indie and mods projects, but also to game related tools (for example, revelator's game development suite or Trenchbroom updates).
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

"Community projects" seems fair to me. Plus, revelator's work need imo more attention than just a "what are you working on" post
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

"Community Projects" sounds good to me. And yes, tools should have a place here too. :smile:
r00k

Post by r00k »

"Quake Mod" Showcase.
no offense but this seems 10 years too late imho.
http://www.quakeone.com/cax
there, thats my showcase. yippy fuckn skippy.
does this mean people are going to stop playing CS:GO and play crappy quake again?
pfft

whatever.

just drop the quake mod, and call it Irrelevant Project Showcase Showdown...
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

rook? if you don't like quake why are you here?
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

r00k: not sure if you've just not noticed, but this is a Quake 1 modding community. It always has been quake-centered... for a while there we started catering to other games (and won't turn others away), but the focal point has always been Quake.
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

For some background, the site started as InsideQC. It briefly expanded to include Quake 2, Jedi Knight, and Genesis3d. For this expanded scope it rebranded to Inside3d. A few Jedi Knight tutorials and one or two articles on Genesis3d appeared. A Quake 2 mod was hosted, Stroggs Gone Mad. These were blips on the timeline of the site, as the 1996 Quake remained the constant. As the hurdles were often similar, projects other than Quake were discussed here. The second Quake Expo, which originated on these forums, opened up to Quake 2, and the third, 2006 (which celebrated Quake's 10th anniversary) expanded it to Quake 3. But they still celebrated the original Quake principally.

When AtomicGamer abruptly shutdown, we took it as an opportunity to return the site to the original branding, matching the community which has sustained it for nearly two decades.

The site started in Quake, and has been sustained by Quake and its fans. Personally if I was just looking for a game technology community, I would be spending my time on UE4 sites. Others on Unity, and so on. This site is first and foremost a Quake site, and we acknowledge that Quake is more than a game, it is also a platform in a way, particularly after the work of LordHavoc and Spike. But that still rests upon the pillar that is Quake, the pillar which drew us all here in the first place.

The subject of the Quake Mod Showcase, a specific place where Quake mods, the primary product of the community, came up eighteen days ago. This sub-forum, which is particularly granular and exclusive in topic, was brought up as a potential candidate - though no particular name was suggested. With two weeks of no objections I took action. The name can still change, and Error has suggested "Project Showcase", which is fine by me. "Community Projects" has an implicit statement of involving more than one person in the community, or being something the public can contribute to.

No one has to contribute to What Are You Working On?, and individuals are free to start threads for their own projects, as is commonly done.

I'm here for Quake, I will enjoy quality works derived from its code base, but I am here for Quake.

If there is no reasoned complaint to "Project Showcase", I'll rename the sub-forum to that tomorrow evening, local time.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

scar3crow wrote:The subject of the Quake Mod Showcase, a specific place where Quake mods, the primary product of the community, came up eighteen days ago. This sub-forum, which is particularly granular and exclusive in topic, was brought up as a potential candidate - though no particular name was suggested. With two weeks of no objections I took action
Didn't know about it. Sorry I missed it.
scar3crow wrote:Error has suggested "Project Showcase", which is fine by me. "Community Projects" has an implicit statement of involving more than one person in the community, or being something the public can contribute to.
Well, the "Community" word is could be also intended as "the audience": projects FOR the community. But it's just semantics! :mrgreen:
scar3crow wrote:I'm here for Quake, I will enjoy quality works derived from its code base, but I am here for Quake.
I see, and I respect that. I always loved to see (differently to Xonotic forums) passionated people to show their changes (little or huge) to Quake engine and gameplay and I respect this kind of creativity. When you say "Personally if I was just looking for a game technology community, I would be spending my time on UE4 sites" I could reply: "I'm using Quake technology because I care!":)

I mean, making skeletal stuff in UE3 took me 2 days with all the examples and documentation. In FTEQW it's been one year and I'm still very far to release something decent! But it's cool because we're using something open, we'll releasing something open, we're talking of things that will be untouched by great companies (and great interests), forever. I'm here for Quake too, if you think about it! :biggrin: [/quote]
scar3crow wrote:If there is no reasoned complaint to "Project Showcase", I'll rename the sub-forum to that tomorrow evening, local time.
Thanks a lot scar3crow, really appreciated.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

"Project Showcase" works just fine for me. :)
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

"Project Showcase" sounds good to me.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Wow, been away for a while, but for sure Im glad to see my idea / suggestion actually went up and there is a place now just for checking in on whats up with a given Quake mod. :biggrin:

Didnt realize it would create such a commotion, then again Im finding lots of sites I go to, I seem to cause people a lot of problems either short term or long term, and for a while I just plain ran out of energy to post here. This is now pretty much the only site left as a source for inspiration from a Quake game standpoint.

Definitely concur with supporting Quake as the game that made it all possible. Still one of a kind, to this day - did much more in many respects for its day, with alot less. Lots of talented people made it, it ought not be pushed aside in lieu of new games.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Oh well forget it...I didnt realize the name changed for my idea.

I regret even putting an idea out there like that to begin with, and I dont think I will be posting / sharing any of my ideas here anymore as a result. I find it disrespectful to re-label someones good idea, and to boot, not even mention that this was my idea to begin with. Sorta makes me feel shit on before I even get a chance to see my idea being used. No thanks.