RaQdoll

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Re: RaQdoll

Post by Error »

that's in slowmo. it actually falls in realtime.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

yeah I noticed, but does it seem that the slowmo one (only the last one is in slowmo - or am I wrong?) bounces a little more than the others?
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

it doesn't bounce more. it just bounces slow enough to see it.

I recorded those videos with Darkplaces and the framerate is all wonky. So I slowed it down to see it more.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

ah ok. Incredible stuff anyway!
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Was this done with DP ? Anyplace to look to see how it was done?
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

I know he uses or had used the dp engine, but pretty sure the mod runs without engine specific extensions.
Cobalt wrote:Was this done with DP ? Anyplace to look to see how it was done?
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

The mod runs without any engine mods. I'll try to get the mod posted soon. I currently only have internet at work.

It's actually quite simple, spawn the body, 2 arms and 2 legs. Spawn 4 bouncing entities where the arms and legs are. Have the arms and legs change angles toward the bouncing entities. Like I said, it's really easy and quite a convincing effect.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Error wrote:I currently only have internet at work.
Me too. This helps me to stay productive.
Error wrote:Spawn 4 bouncing entities where the arms and legs are. Have the arms and legs change angles toward the bouncing entities.
That's brilliant. But have you done something to prevent the bouncing entities from going too far away from the body? I imagine this method could have problems if the bouncing entities goes to places where the members shouldn't reach.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Oh at first I thought this was something like sagdoll, which needs ODE physics. But I guess you use a player,.mdl thats just a chest/torso and 4 other ents as the ligaments? So while you dont use special eng stuff, I suppose its a new player.mdl or seperate models for the ligaments?
Error wrote:The mod runs without any engine mods. I'll try to get the mod posted soon. I currently only have internet at work.

It's actually quite simple, spawn the body, 2 arms and 2 legs. Spawn 4 bouncing entities where the arms and legs are. Have the arms and legs change angles toward the bouncing entities. Like I said, it's really easy and quite a convincing effect.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Cobalt wrote:Oh at first I thought this was something like sagdoll, which needs ODE physics.
Huh ? Are you sure ? From what I remember, sagdoll never required engine support.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Theres a few ones like this, Ragdoll, Sagdoll and such so I get confused. I am prettysure one needs the ODE not sure which one. I have not been able to get ODE working at all in DP, so am stuck.

But I am curious if this one can handle being on stairs? Are just the arms and legs jointed? Im wondering if the head and torso can be jointed as well without much modification..
frag.machine wrote:
Cobalt wrote:Oh at first I thought this was something like sagdoll, which needs ODE physics.
Huh ? Are you sure ? From what I remember, sagdoll never required engine support.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Maybe you've been confused with this / this
Eukara

Post by Eukara »

Yeah, Sagdoll even works in DOSQuake.
Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Yea I think thats part of my confusion. Im using DP so I am not sure what one is best to impliment. Apparently it means also new models for the player.mdl and I am still using the old player.mdl because there are alot of resources for it like the swim model etc...I guess I could use the new models only when the player dies..? Im guessing these systems dont use the ragdoll as part of the regular animations, well not yet anyway.
toneddu2000 wrote:Maybe you've been confused with this / this
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

If you're using DP you've to stick to Error's multiple mdls system. Only FTE supports ragdoll today. I asked LordHavoc some time ago if he'd like to implement Spike's doll system but he never replied. If I should become more profienct a pure C code, maybe I'll try to implement it myself one day