Revelation Test

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
revelator

Revelation Test

Post by revelator »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cbadvan ... p/download

A rather heavily overworked Doom3 engine based on code from MHDoom with a few things from raynorpat Treeb Dhewm3 and me.

Includes game dll's for some mods like classic doom grimm's quest for the gatherers key and sikkmod/sikkmodd3xp besides ressurection of evil and vanilla.
reason there included is that my engine can no longer play with vanilla dll's (removed a ton of defunct stuff + all the editors) which broke compatibility.
I did not feel like creating stub functions for all the disabled stuff to keep compatibility in the end its probably better this way (much cleaner source).

Included raynors GLSL shaders (formatted a bit), the GLSL renderer is disabled by default but can be set on with r_renderer glsl.
Works just fine with vanilla and ressurection of evil now but breaks on mods using sikkpins enhanced shaders so not included with them.
Do not turn on GLSL in sikkmod or mods using it it will look mighty crap infact you wont be able to see a thing hehe.

A few problematic vars have been set off by default because of issues with ATI/AMD gfx cards.
If you still want to have them on its ->
r_usedepthboundsext. // causes light bleed and hard cuts shadows on ATI/AMD.
r_usearbmapbufferrange. // should actually work now try to set it on.
Productivity is a state of mind.
revelator

Re: Revelation Test

Post by revelator »

Biting the bullet on removing the internal editors because its pretty much impossible to remove all the code used only for them.
About half of the code in the engine is used by the editors and removing it breaks Doom3 in so many ways that fixing it is allmost impossible.
A better solution would be to fix the missing parts and make them crossplatform but that might be a tall order for one man.

So ill just not touch it and instead ill move my work to a clean codebase leaving the editors in as they are. (Atleast people found ways to overcome the missing stuff).
revelator

Post by revelator »

http://techreport.com/review/7265/a-pro ... -in-doom-3

might want to check this out if you have an AMD gfx card an experience weird textures in Doom3
revelator

Post by revelator »

Just tried there fix and... it works infact it also fixes the weird ghosting some smaller textures had and shadows work great now.
With the ammount of work i put into getting this solved im allmost at the point where im filing a complaint to AMD :evil:

Adaptive multisampling yeah nice but not when it breaks your game.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Exactly what I've been seeing. The cut-off is much more noticeable moving around in-game than in screenshots.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Indeed it totally broke the experience to have cut off textures, and shadow bleeds.
I guess the reason BFG does not have this bug is that it uses binary image formats and is not using the texture filters the same way vanilla does.
revelator

Post by revelator »

So now its just fixing the missing stuff :) anyone good at MFC ? the PDA editor needs some love hehe.
Or preferably port it to WxWidgets for multiplatform support.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Just found a bug that snuck by MH obviously :S at the end of
RB_T_SHADOW

// restore cull the same as the original GPL code
// revelator dont it breaks rendering causing a visible rectangle in the upper right corner shadowing particles and fog effects..
GL_Cull( CT_FRONT_SIDED ); // WAS CT_BACK_SIDED

instead remove GL_Cull( CT_FRONT_SIDED ); from RB_StencilShadowPass after RB_RenderDrawSurfChainWithFunction( drawSurfs, RB_T_Shadow );
revelator

Post by revelator »

Ok i think i nailed the last bugger with ATI cards. Gonna test it throughly if it behaves as it should ill make a github project for it so people can help porting and fixing the built in editors.
I allready done some of the work on fixing the code but porting it still needs work.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Everything works just honky dory now it seems :) Ill setup a github project for it tomorrow.
revelator

Post by revelator »

https://github.com/revelator/Revelation

Public source.

If you change something do a pull and ill review it :)

Atm whats needed is help porting the internal editors to WxWidgets.
Fixup the glsl renderer (works for the most part now if you dont use gfx mods) has a strange bug outside with flickering specular on static objects.
Implement missing functionality in the editors (PDA and a few others).
Remove editor gui code for functions that where changed to use keyboard shortcuts (buttons for these are defunct now).

FIXED:

ATI cards now work really well :) most of the bugs where caused by Doom3 defaulting to trilinear filtering which screws up with ATI because they use an adaptive texture filter.
Also a bug in the shadow code setting the culling back to CT_BACK_SIDED for all paths.
various fixes posted by iodoom3 dhewm3 dante treeb and some by myself.

ADDED:
glsl renderer from raynor atm its experimental but works mostly, shaders have been shined up a bit.
defered interactions (ported from a linux patch).
Wrapper executables for game mods.
Mod sources for Grimm's quest / Classic Doom / SikkMod / and SikkMod for Ressurection Of evil with the same fixes.

REMOVED:
old FPU exception code, left in stubs for those to keep compatibility with original game dll's.
Tons of disabled and defunct code.

MODIFIED:
Shader passes have been split up into newstage and oldstage versions to ease working with the glsl renderer "MH".
FPS counter is more accurate "MH".
Toggle run "MH".
Some large code pieces where moved out and made into functions.
Moved some code from draw_common.cpp to tr_render.cpp (only used there so made sense).
revelator

Post by revelator »

Two shots from the glsl renderer.

And something showing the parallax shader i dug up.

Its not as detailed as the pom version from sikkpin but it does not have the sliding texture bug :)
revelator

Post by revelator »

Uploaded a few additions.

Enabled depthbounds testing for light interactions (attempt at getting the insane number of interactions down a bit) code was nippled from RBDoom3BFG but did not exactly fit with vanilla so i hope i got it right.

They are disabled for translucent and depthhacked objects as they are in RBDoom3BFG.

A strange thing i noticed is that the ghostly model outlines which seem to happen in some maps seem to be connected to problems with articulated models (the console is literally spammed with those when it happens).

Its not a bug in my code though as it also happens with unmodified Doom3 but i cannot fix those kind of problems, that would require fixing the problem with those models.
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

the parallax shader is awesome...
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
revelator

Post by revelator »

its not bad :) i hope if sikkpin still comes here that he could maybe get a pointer as to why his version has problems with sliding textures and this one does not.