Doom 4 trailer?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.

What's the most annoying thing you've seen in Doom E3 video?

Monsters are not so scary
No votes
Monsters sounds are too subtle and not very incisive
14%
Gameplay looks too different from original
14%
Console influence is too much present
29%
Graphics isn't so fantastic as they promised - OR - it differs too much from original
14%
Weapons don't seem to be so powerful as originals
No votes
Bethesda acquisition ruined everything
29%

Total votes: 7

frag.machine

Re: Doom 4 trailer?

Post by frag.machine »

And yet, the Rise of the Triad 2013 reboot was praised for succesfully reproducing the frantic original multiplayer.
Clearly, the current DOOM was designed with consoles in mind (slow, 2 weapons at time, loadouts, snipers,etc).
At the same time, removed vital old school characteristics like in map weapons spawnpoints (WTF?).
But fair enough, we haven't seem enough of the single player part to make a final judgement.
Let's wait a bit more and see.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
jitspoe

Post by jitspoe »

I was super excited about ROTT. Got the 4 pack for me and some friends when it was on sale. MP was already dead by that point. SP was horribly janky. Didn't even give the other keys away.

Played the Doom MP beta. The movement was much more polished, but, overall, the experience was pretty flat. Sadly, I felt like I had consumed everything the game had to offer after a couple hours of playing.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Okay, just skipped thru the nearly one hour single player gameplay with comments...
And I must say: what I saw makes me think that actually the SP portion may NOT suck after all.
It's clearly a closer experience to the original (specially the hell sections) than the MP, which I still think suffers of a great ammount of consolitis.
The fact that you can turn off all the flashy UI annoying indicators is a very positive point. Some monsters like the pinky and the hell barons were reworked to resemble more the originals and not the versions from Doom 3. This gets an "A+" in my book.

Overall I am a bit more optimistic with what I saw. Heck, I think it will be just a matter of time to someone launch a "classic doom" mod, just speeding gameplay a bit more and removing the remaining pointless stuff like challenges, customization and other blings modern games need to have just to grab the short attention span from the average console player. And, of course, slapping a E1M1 remake back, that's MANDATORY. :P

Now get out of my lawn you damn kids.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Thanks frag.machine for the link. I found also this and this, which are shorter but without commentary.

I also think that this new DOOM could be not so bad, but, as you said, a classic mod probably will set things up, most of all because it seems that DOOM SnapMap would be a revolutionary technology to permit modders to easily do what they want! :biggrin:
Last edited by toneddu2000 on Fri May 06, 2016 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meadow Fun!! - my first commercial game, made with FTEQW game engine
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Well, it's out on Steam. And, looking at reviews, DOOM is back.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Everything I've seen and read about it...looks like iD has a winner here.

Pity they didn't release this in 2004. =P

Also, 55gb and no real retail / physical copy. :sad:
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Yeah, game is huge. Also for the first time in years my current hardware seems not to be enough. Guess I will wait for the Vulkan version before buying it.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

I hear you.

I probably won't ever be buying it myself, even if I had access to hi-speed broadband / wifi to dl it, the cost of the game would probably be around $550 - $45 for the game, $505 for the bandwith. :shock: I kid you not. Add in hardware costs, and it probably would look something like $800 to $1000.

Cheaper to just make my own doom 4 with fte. :razz: :wink:
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:Cheaper to just make my own doom 4 with fte. :razz: :wink:
Oh please let's do it! :biggrin:
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Already working on it. Note however, that cheaper != quicker. At this rate I should be done in 100 years or so... :sad:

http://forums.insideqc.com/viewtopic.ph ... 763#p57763

Yeah, I know. It looks more like quake than doom. And it doesn't look as "nice" as Doom 4. Learn how to walk before you run and all that. :neutral:

Back to Doom 4, I wonder if one could fake world interaction in FTE (like the melee executions, touchscreen walls and ripping panels off walls then flipping the switch) by using entities / modeltags + angles then animating hand movements in the v_model coupled with appropriate animations in the monster model / object model...
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:Already working on it. Note however, that cheaper != quicker. At this rate I should be done in 100 years or so... :sad:

http://forums.insideqc.com/viewtopic.ph ... 763#p57763

Yeah, I know. It looks more like quake than doom. And it doesn't look as "nice" as Doom 4. Learn how to walk before you run and all that. :neutral:

Back to Doom 4, I wonder if one could fake world interaction in FTE (like the melee executions, touchscreen walls and ripping panels off walls then flipping the switch) by using entities / modeltags + angles then animating hand movements in the v_model coupled with appropriate animations in the monster model / object model...
From what I saw in the videos, the "smash console to activate" thing is simply a matter of custom viewmodels. Easier to model and animate and also looks better.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Bought it some days ago, first impression not a lot of bullshit we go straight to the carnage :P strapped to some kind of altar the doomguy bashes in the faces of the first few unfortunate demons around. Gameplay is fast as well hell, brutal executions of demons count as skillshots and earns you upgrade points. There is some story but not a lot most of the time you spend
exterminating hells forces with extreme prejudice and you dont seem to give a damn about the humans back on earth would loose a valuable energy source (not even if it drags them to hell) :P

As for how it runs, bit slow on the load but actually runs really well and looks amazing once in game, the texture pop in from the rage days seems to have been all but erradicated nice :)

The game uses denuvo protection which means pirating it will be very hard. You can find it cheaper than via the steam store so google it, i got it at about half price by looking at other resellers :)
Productivity is a state of mind.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Yeah, looks like if you have the hardware to run it it's a nobrainer. And that's the only thing preventing me to grab it (this and a lot of work in real life, of course).
toneddu2000

Post by toneddu2000 »

Thanks for the feedback, revelator. I'd be happier to buy it, now. As frag.machine said, a decent video card it's a must!! :biggrin: