Speed Project idea.

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
Eli

Just a thought

Post by Eli »

Would it maybe be cool if the speed mods were fully independent from quake content-wise sense there will be new models and stuff anyway, that way more people could play them and the event would have a wider coverage. They could still be quake related, basically everything can be under a free license with all the model redos, reskins, darkplaces or some other quake engine, the quake retexture project, the the vast array of free model, texture, code quake related content out there.
-Eli
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

Perhaps, though a lot of people partake or keep an eye on such specifically because it IS Quake honestly.

I mean, I will try out my friends work either way, but they have a lot more to work with in Quake, and I do enjoy Quake myself at the same time.
Eli

I love quake...

Post by Eli »

That is really true, especially in this community, but you could still get the whole quake feel into a game and then if you've got something really good more people passing by will be able to play it without purchasing an old and hard to find game, even though it might be the purest game ever :)
-Eli
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Re: I love quake...

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

Eli wrote:That is really true, especially in this community, but you could still get the whole quake feel into a game and then if you've got something really good more people passing by will be able to play it without purchasing an old and hard to find game, even though it might be the purest game ever :)
This is somewhat beyond the purview of a speedmod. Granted I'll admit that while standalone ability has it's advantages, at this time it's simply just not practical for the purposes of a speedmod.

The sheer amount of effort required to create a standalone mod is immense, in just about every field. (meaning, you need a coder to make a complete standalone source code base, a modeller to make models of high enough quality and matching personality to the stock id models, a sound man / auditor, texture artist to make material for use by the mapper, and finally the mapper to make the maps.) Add to that that the material should also be compatable across most of the important engines... (yes, even winquake)

It's not simply enough to have preexisting materials floating around out there, you've gotta go in and actually pick through all of the said material and ensure that it's legit...

Well, you start to get the general idea.

I could maybe see something like a turtlemod or some such where the timeframes approach a week or more, but definatly not in a speedmod.

Preferably, for such a thing to occur, we really NEED a full scale standalone mod that runs along the general lines of OpenQuartz, only far, far closer to the original quake content.

I'm really tired ATM, so if none of this makes any sense at all, please excuse me and disregard. :wink:
Eli

That's true,

Post by Eli »

Yea your right, my idea is to ambitious for a speed mod.
-Eli
Eli

That's true,

Post by Eli »

Yea your right, my idea is to ambitious for a speed mod. But the other engine idea is smart, what if an event was held with several groups of speed modders all using some modified free quake engine and a lot of content which was also free and had already been found--DP allows for a ton of content because of its support of so many texture and model types--then all the mods could be release in a full pack which would become the general presentation for the engine. This is just a thought and doesn't really pretain in anyway to the other convo except that my train of thought led to it.
-Eli
frag.machine

Re: That's true,

Post by frag.machine »

Well, I am a mediocre Q1 modeller... and a mediocre mapper, too... Oh, and a mediocre QC/engine coder. Would be cool to work in a Quake I mod as a spare time project. If there's someone interested in a mediocre team member, I'm here. :P
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
neg!ke

Post by neg!ke »

february 5+? :evil: