demo tools and questions

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
Nahuel

demo tools and questions

Post by Nahuel »

Hello forum, i just want to add a comand line at the end of a demo just before "disconnect" (something like "map something.bsp") This is easy using old tools like filmat or demtool , but this tools doesn´t work using demos recorded with darkplaces and csqc stuff :( Do you know how can i add the command lines of a dem file? Something like hex editor ?
Maybe with qc work (i do not think so) Thanks!!
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
Baker

Re: demo tools and questions

Post by Baker »

I think you are entirely out of luck. The NetQuake demo and network handling isn't fancy and is rather elementary, so manipulating those files is easy.

Add prediction and the bandwidth saving calculus in anything new than NetQuake and it quickly explodes the kind of complexity required to work with the file formats to beyond someone making a tool on a whim.

[This is just opinion and explaining why I think the answer is certainly no. But it doesn't mean I'm right. But the DarkPlaces protocols are as far as I know pretty much undocumented, so how could someone make a tool? If you see what I mean ... ]
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Spike

Re: demo tools and questions

Post by Spike »

the netchan of darkplaces is the weakest part of the dp7 protocol - packets are still sent 100% compatibily with nq including separate packets for reliable and unreliable data, and the demo format itself is completely unchanged.
you can easily concatinate the extra data on the end without issues.
there's really no need to care about any of the svcs other than the new one that you wish to add.

tweak the code given in mandel's reply here: http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60932 #9
note how the only svc it actually cares about is the disconnect one. which is always in a single packet