The TrenchBroom Level Editor for Quake

Discuss the construction of maps and the tools to create maps for 3D games.
xaGe

Re: The TrenchBroom Level Editor for Quake

Post by xaGe »

Not wasted at all. I myself have wasted 4 hours of straight time trying to get the 1x version and now the 2.X but neither compile. Compiling this is a bad time for me for sometime I just want to "use" without hassle. Thank for your compiled build(1.2 b462) it seems to work (got as far as running it a few minutes) ok so far.

Appreciate you! 8)

Spirit wrote:But so my afternoon is not fully wasted:

Ignore all the wxwidgets stuff, just have the package wxgtk installed. Then use my fork https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/TrenchBroom (only the codeblocks project is changed). Since I have no idea what I was doing, this might lead to completely broken and unstable builds. Direct all complaints at SleepwalkR. :P

https://www.quaddicted.com/files/tools/ ... -spirit.7z

Is it normal for none of the keyboard shortcuts to not work? lol Like the delete key doesn't delete brushes? and R for rotate? FYI I tried to reassign them and it won't even recognize the delete key as a key. I remapped del brush to [P] and still won't work. Have you found this to be the same for you?

Shift click still works to resize and CTRL click still dupes, as do the wasd key move around, but not much else works of keyboard shortcuts which makes it slower to map. Still its better than running it in WINE. :)
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

Following your advice with TB2 it actually starts to compile(although I found my mistake why it didn't try the other way as per build.txt), but you see where this chokes out after running make.

Code: Select all

[retro@ToolBox build]$ make
Scanning dependencies of target version
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
[  0%] Built target version
Scanning dependencies of target glew
[  0%] Building C object CMakeFiles/glew.dir/lib/src/glew/glew.c.o
Linking C static library libglew.a
[  0%] Built target glew
Scanning dependencies of target common
[  0%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/common.dir/common/src/Hit.cpp.o
[  0%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/common.dir/common/src/MathUtils.cpp.o
[  1%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/common.dir/common/src/Renderer/MapRenderer.cpp.o
In file included from /home/retro/compileme/TrenchBroom-NewArchitecture/common/src/LayerObserver.h:24:0,
                 from /home/retro/compileme/TrenchBroom-NewArchitecture/common/src/Renderer/MapRenderer.h:23,
                 from /home/retro/compileme/TrenchBroom-NewArchitecture/common/src/Renderer/MapRenderer.cpp:20:
/home/retro/compileme/TrenchBroom-NewArchitecture/common/src/Model/Layer.h:27:32: fatal error: Model/ObjectParent.h: No such file or directory
 #include "Model/ObjectParent.h"
                                ^
compilation terminated.
You can see where its being called from Model/Layer.h on line 27 #include "Model/ObjectParent.h", but its not there and unbuildable without it.

Spirit wrote:The zip is the easiest way to grab a branch unless you know git.

Then theoretically this should do

mkdir build && cd build
cmake ..
make

but there seems to be a file missing or a dependency not declared.
Last edited by xaGe on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SleepwalkR

Post by SleepwalkR »

Please update your repository using git pull and build again. The compile error should be gone.
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

Thank you. I will give it a shot, but it gets to 21% then chokes on more missing files, but they should be there. I see that file on Github and its in common/src/Model/ so no idea why that error.

Code: Select all

[ 21%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/common.dir/common/src/IO/Hexen2MapWriter.cpp.o
/home/retro/compileme/mygit/TrenchBroom/common/src/IO/Hexen2MapWriter.cpp:22:29: fatal error: Model/Brushface.h: No such file or directory
 #include "Model/Brushface.h"
                             ^
compilation terminated.

OHHHH I caught it. The file case is not the same as what's being called. Its looking for Brushface.h and its named BrushFace.h in the dir. A simple case change on the "f" should fix it.

AND it did, build complete! YAY!! Its runs SO much better than TB v1.x.x so far. F'ing sexy! Thank you everyone.

wow.. can't wait to map enough to break it! :D

Oh BTW Spirit you should be able to make a package with TB2 without the hassle you mentioned with TB1's "a" files? TB2's compile over Tb1 appears much more straight forward. If you do make one PLEASE make a pkgbuild for the AUR if possible? Not everyone favors debian/buntu base. I would myself, but have yet to figure it out in my spare time.
Last edited by xaGe on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
SleepwalkR

Post by SleepwalkR »

Spirit, if you decide to make a package for TB2, please get in touch so that I can add them to the official publication channels.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

^ Done :)

I'll package it once TB2 knows how to load its resources from /usr/share/ . Then it will be super easy to do.
Improve Quaddicted, send me a pull request: https://github.com/SpiritQuaddicted/Quaddicted-reviews
qbism

Post by qbism »

I can provide Windows build of TB2 if you need it for package.
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

Do you have a windows package built already somewhere online? If so 32bit, 64 or both? I'm going to attempt to build for Windows so I can have TB2 on the go with me when I'm not home on Linux.
qbism wrote:I can provide Windows build of TB2 if you need it for package.
I don't normally compile things outside of linux so I had to grab a mingw-windows install and put into my Windows XP install in virtualbox. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know any other way so I downloaded the Mingw-windows-installer.exe but its borked with know "Res error" bs. I was lucky enough to remember revelator's C::B advanced Unix Tools For Windows and that did install ok. I'm currently building the wxwidgets stuff now. :)
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

qbism wrote:I can provide Windows build of TB2 if you need it for package.
i wouldnt mind having that build. maybe being able to use TB2 would fix my crash problems.
qbism

Post by qbism »

Here's my win32 build of the latest NewArchitecture branch provided 'as-is'. This was set up with wx 3.0.0 and compiled on VS 2013. Possibly more wx dlls than needed are included because copy-paste is fun and sorting dlls to save a few kb is not.
http://super8.qbism.com/wp-content/uplo ... _Win32.zip
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

Understood and thank you qbism!

I got as far as compiling wxwidgets without issue inside a virtualbox Window XP using mingw, but then I couldn't figure out the actually compiling of the TB2 src code with mingw. DoH! I've only tried to compile a few things in windows so its just my lack of knowledge.

Thanks again for your compile.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

qbism wrote:Here's my win32 build of the latest NewArchitecture branch provided 'as-is'. This was set up with wx 3.0.0 and compiled on VS 2013. Possibly more wx dlls than needed are included because copy-paste is fun and sorting dlls to save a few kb is not.

when i try to use it , it says its not a valid win32 application.
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

Thats odd. I ran it at work just to see if it was ok and it ran fine for the few minutes i tried it. the only thing that was missing where the msvc runtime but fine after I installed them.

Runs is a 32bit Wineprefix as well for me in Linux at home. WOW you know what? Are you running Windows XP by chance? I just tried to run in m y virtualbox Windows XP 32bit install and it said the same thing, "not a valid win32 application".

The build doesn't like Window XP!

FYI It ran fine in Windows 7 32 and 64.

ceriux wrote:
qbism wrote:Here's my win32 build of the latest NewArchitecture branch provided 'as-is'. This was set up with wx 3.0.0 and compiled on VS 2013. Possibly more wx dlls than needed are included because copy-paste is fun and sorting dlls to save a few kb is not.
when i try to use it , it says its not a valid win32 application.
SleepwalkR

Post by SleepwalkR »

Some replies:

There is a cmake target that will package the application (dmg on Mac, zip on Windows). You can build it with

cmake --build . --config Release --target package

Unfortunately, mingw is currently not a support compiler. If someone can get it working, I'll be happy to include that. I had done some preliminary support for it, but I think I failed when trying to build required libraries. There is some info in Build.txt.

For windows users, here is the latest TB2 alpha build:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrrz1mbf3l6xm ... e.zip?dl=0
xaGe

Post by xaGe »

Thanks. I grabbed and installed cmake too for windows. I got lost after successfully compiling wxwidgets when it came time to tie them in my PATH more than anything.

SleepwalkR wrote:Some replies:

There is a cmake target that will package the application (dmg on Mac, zip on Windows). You can build it with

cmake --build . --config Release --target package

Unfortunately, mingw is currently not a support compiler. If someone can get it working, I'll be happy to include that. I had done some preliminary support for it, but I think I failed when trying to build required libraries. There is some info in Build.txt.

For windows users, here is the latest TB2 alpha build:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrrz1mbf3l6xm ... e.zip?dl=0
It works fine in Window XP 32bit if anyone is curious. SleepwalkR why does that dropbox say 2 month ago?