Quake2 had model weapon flashes

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
leileilol

Quake2 had model weapon flashes

Post by leileilol »

There's bits of muzzleflash model references in the game code that are commented out. It would seem the shotguns had muzzleflash models in a subfolder with flash/tris.md2 and they would have appeared in sync with the weaponmodel with a FULLBRIGHT entity render effect. The weapon texture would be used as there's a muzzleflash skin on there.

Why they're removed I am not entirely sure why, but i'd imagine it'd be a interpolation artifact. The only flashes that remain in the game are the bullet impact flashes and the stroggs' weapon flashes which are also the same flash spheres.

Yeah, I know Quake2 64 has muzzleflashes, but that's beside the point.

Also, the flash.sp2 is red, and there's also commented out macros for the BFG having a flash sprite. This alludes to the BFG being red originally than blue (along with the q2test w_bfg.pcx which was later recycled for Ground Zero Plasma Beam), and NOT recycled from the Disintegrator.
i should not be here
qbism

Re: Quake2 had model weapon flashes

Post by qbism »

Big muzzleflash sprites kill software mode framerate?
andrewj

Re: Quake2 had model weapon flashes

Post by andrewj »

interesting find.

Maybe they tried it and it just looked crap.