Leaving the Quake Community

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
behind_you

Leaving the Quake Community

Post by behind_you »

Hey, some of you know me from before.

In case you don't, I've been coding in Quake since Jan 2011. I've been working solo for my entire 'career', mainly learning from tutorials and such. My biggest accomplishment would have to be my snippets. As for why I'm leaving, I'll get to that in a minute.

I would like to say something before I go. On this forum, there are quite a few people here (you know who you are, don't bother denying it) who know a vast amount about QuakeC, ssqc, csqc and the likes but yet they don't bother sharing any of their knowledge. I found that those people considered themselves above everyone else and whenever they're asked for help, instead of assisting they downplay the other by calling them a 'noob'. I ask, why this childish behaviour? Is your ego so large that you aren't even capable of helping those you see as 'lower' than you? If you're thinking that what I'm saying is unfounded and based on one or two experiences, just keep in mind that I can come up with a list of topic links in a split second that illustrate my point exactly. Some will think "These pros don't have the time to help out as they are buried beneath their own projects". Yet these same 'pros' also find the time to bash and insult.

I'm not generalizing. There are some experts here who do help out. But seriously, I've been working shit hard on QuakeC for 8 months, and yet I can't even send the damn player entity through csqc! In fact, I can only draw HUDS in csqc. Why can't I do these things? It's not because I'm stupid since I am not stupid. You can teach yourself the language, you can teach yourself how to make functions, call them, create floats and entities and vectors, and all this crap. You CAN'T teach yourself how to utilize prediction in csqc or send the player entity through to csqc or draw a mini-screen on the HUD or blend frames, etc. You need to be TAUGHT these things, or sit and study every last line of code in the DP or FTE engine. Doing this would take ages and in the meantime, you get bashed on the forum for being a 'noob'.

This is why I'm leaving. After 8 months of this, the joy of modding has turned into endless frustration. Farewell to everyone. And to those who say 'Good Riddance' I say Good Riddance to you too.
Spike

Re: Leaving the Quake Community

Post by Spike »

behind_you wrote:and yet I can't even send the damn player entity through csqc!
In the SSQC:

Code: Select all

In PlayerPreThink, add:
{
self.Version+=1;
self.SendEntity = SendPlayer;
}

float() SendPlayer =
{
writebyte(MSG_ENTITY, somesortofplayeridentifier);
writecoord(MSG_ENTITY, self.origin_x);
writecoord(MSG_ENTITY, self.origin_y);
writecoord(MSG_ENTITY, self.origin_z);
writesomeothervaluesthatyoufeelyouneedtoanimateandstuff();
return TRUE;
};
in the csqc:

Code: Select all

void(float isnew) CSQC_Ent_Update =
{
float enttype = readbyte();
if (enttype == somesortofplayeridentifier)
{
self.origin_x = readcoord();
self.origin_y = readcoord();
self.origin_z = readcoord();
readsomeothervaluesthatyoufeelyouneedtoanimateandstuff();

if (isnew)
{
setmodel(self, "progs/player.mdl");
self.predraw = somefunctiontoanimateandpredictyourplayermovements();
self.drawmask = MASK_NORMAL;
}
}
};

void() CSQC_Ent_Remove =
{
remove(self);
};
Prediction is much more complex.
The client has an input log and a builtin which can be used to fill the input_ globals from that log. Just apply the extra movement commands between servercommandframe to clientcommandframe, as those are the frames which the server hasn't acknowledged yet. Do that inside your predraw function. You can find an example of that in my csqctest mod.

Applying those extra movement frames requires you to run the same movement code in both csqc and ssqc, which isn't easy in DP, and not attempted in csqctest as that mod uses default engine player physics (at last in quakeworld).

its also possible that the 'pros' around here don't want to help those 'lower' than them because its actually quite hard to express concepts to these 'lower' people in a form that they actually understand. Its really frustrating to have someone ask for help, to give them help, and for them to still not understand any of it.
Have fun with your future endevours.
Irritant

Post by Irritant »

Dramatic exits are never a good thing.
http://red.planetarena.org - Alien Arena and the CRX engine
behind_you

Post by behind_you »

Irritant wrote:Dramatic exits are never a good thing.
I'm trying to prove a point. I don't care how you see it.
revelator

Post by revelator »

It was only a word of wisdom, not to debate your desciscion.
Thats is entirely up to you.
But since you posted your departure from the community,
i guess as in most families some members tried to offer help (thats what we are here for).

So what can we do ?.
Productivity is a state of mind.
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

I like puppies.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
revelator

Post by revelator »

behind_you

Post by behind_you »

reckless wrote:So what can we do ?.
That's obvious. HELP! When someone new comes along and asks for help, help him! And try to actually help him instead of tossing the usual garbage at him AKA saying 'Needs CSQC' or 'Look at Nexuiz' is not help.
revelator

Post by revelator »

If i really had some knowladge of csqc i would have helped but my experiences are mostly related to the 3D engine.
As for the few here i know have a good understanding of it spike is probably the closest since he was the one who created it,
(if im not wrong) and he was actually trying to help allready it seems from the codepiece he left.

I doubt any here would deliberatly withhold information that could help you with what you work on (only if its illegal),
but we also have lives besides the internet work famillies so sometimes it takes time to get the right answer
but most times it will come.

Gve it a little time and im sure everything will settle :)
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

And not a single word was said to thank Spike for all that he posted in this thread.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Electro

Post by Electro »

Thanks Spike! <3 you so hard.
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

behind_you wrote:I'm trying to prove a point. I don't care how you see it.
This is how I see it

i should not be here
mh

Post by mh »

The trouble is that a lot of the time something like "needs CSQC" is not only the right answer, it's not only the best answer; a lot of the time it's the only answer.

I see a lot of people come onboard, all fired up and enthusiastic to do something, but the trouble is that Quake technology is just not able to meet their demands. Take standard QC - it's a game logic scripting language with very restricted capabilities. People want to do all kinds of wild things with it, and standard QC is just not able to do them. It was built with a very restricted set of capabilities, it can't do networking, it can't do rendering, it lives on the wrong side of a client/server divide for what people want to do with it.

It's like throwing a sulk because you have a hammer and you've just encountered something that isn't nails, to be honest.

What kind of answer do people want? "You've chosen the wrong technology, use Q3A instead"? It's damn frustrating as someone who actually does want to help (I don't know QC but I do know where many of it's limits are). Sometimes "sorry, you can't do that" is the best answer you can get - it can save you from wasting a lot of time on something that's not going to work anyway.

Sigh.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Electro

Post by Electro »

Some people help, some don't.
It's a fairly small community, so the amount of help is obviously a lot less.

I help when I can. I haven't been back in the community that long, and I guess am kind of a lurker more than anything. I got the best answers chatting realtime in irc when I was learning stuff. (I say was because I don't know everything, but just because I'm stubborn and refuse to learn anything new anymore :) ).

server: irc.anynet.org
channel: #qc

I'm just putting this up for reference purposes for other people in the future, as behind_you has left already.
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
Spike

Post by Spike »

mankrip: thank you!
Electro: urm, not sure I want to know how 'hard' your love is....
mh: I'm glad you're fully behind csqc... how long till your engine supports it? mwhaha