Doom 3 engine release and game code

Discuss programming topics for any language, any source base. If it is programming related but doesn't fit in one of the below categories, it goes here.
revelator

Re: Doom 3 engine release and game code

Post by revelator »

looks like this on my rig :)

i can make some shots showing 2D decals like blood for comparison, not sure whats causing that bug on your gfx Cards since it seem to Work just fine here.
Id really wish someone with some time on there hands and an ATI Card could go over the code to iron out the buggers that seem to happen on those :).
Further improvements are also welcome.
Productivity is a state of mind.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Going to move the stuff i know Works on all Cards to a fresh checkout of Vanilla.

My previous engine while a lot cleaner is also a bit lobotomized as i removed all the internal mapping tools (also removed from the game dll's hence why my engine breaks if you use the old game dll's cause there missing exports).
qbism

Post by qbism »

reckless wrote:i can make some shots showing 2D decals like blood for comparison, not sure whats causing that bug on your gfx Cards since it seem to Work just fine here.
Have you tried running this in a clean doom3 install, w/o enhancements? Just wonder if it's as simple as 'can't find files'.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Only changed thing is the menu but i tried without that and it still Works here.

Not aware of any other changes to the game ressources.

Damn weird is what it is :o
revelator

Post by revelator »

SLowly porting my optimizations to Vanilla, uploading a build you can try out atm. Ill post the link when its up.

Finally got the threaded deferred shadow volumes working (small oversight by me grrr i hate porting by hand).

The good news it Works like a charm and the 15 FPS increase the author mentioned is highly likely :) might even run faster now with MH's mapbuffer fix.

Atleast i can now prepare a patch for Vanilla with everything included.

The Bad well you need the vccomp dll but thats about it and i have included it in my package together with the HD menu and sikkmod for Doom3 And Ressurection of evil.

Also added my wrapper executables for easy access to sikkmod (runs the main Doom3.exe with the correct cvars) its the ones with hd in the name.
revelator

Post by revelator »

revelator

Post by revelator »

patch against Vanilla here http://code.google.com/p/realm/download ... h&can=2&q=

you need to run astyle on the source before patching, but heres a bat i use for that.

Code: Select all

REM A script to run Astyle for the sources

SET STYLE=--style=allman --indent=spaces=4 --indent-namespaces --lineend=windows --min-conditional-indent=0
SET OPTIONS=--pad-header --unpad-paren --suffix=none

astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/cm/*.cpp
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/cm/*.h
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/curl/*.cpp
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/curl/*.h
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/d3xp/*.cpp
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/d3xp/*.h
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/framework/*.cpp
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/framework/*.h
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/game/*.cpp
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/game/*.h
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/openal/*.cpp
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/openal/*.h
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/renderer/*.cpp
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/renderer/*.h
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/sound/*.cpp
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/sound/*.h
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/idlib/*.cpp
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/idlib/*.h
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/sys/*.cpp
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/sys/*.h
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/tools/*.cpp
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/tools/*.h
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/typeinfo/*.cpp
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/typeinfo/*.h
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/ui/*.cpp
astyle %STYLE% %OPTIONS% -r neo.orig/ui/*.h
after running astyle try to compile it before patching as astyle has a nasty habit of screwing with asm comments. If you get an error compiling check the asm instructions where it fails and pull back comments

to be after the ; like this ; <comment>

astyle linebreaks them so the comments look like this

;
comment

after patching you will have mapbuffer support / omp threaded lights / updated image libraries / and a few general bugfixes like mh's ase model fix.
anonreclaimer

Post by anonreclaimer »

reckless wrote:SLowly porting my optimizations to Vanilla, uploading a build you can try out atm. Ill post the link when its up.

Finally got the threaded deferred shadow volumes working (small oversight by me grrr i hate porting by hand).

The good news it Works like a charm and the 15 FPS increase the author mentioned is highly likely :) might even run faster now with MH's mapbuffer fix.

Atleast i can now prepare a patch for Vanilla with everything included.

The Bad well you need the vccomp dll but thats about it and i have included it in my package together with the HD menu and sikkmod for Doom3 And Ressurection of evil.

Also added my wrapper executables for easy access to sikkmod (runs the main Doom3.exe with the correct cvars) its the ones with hd in the name.
Yeah I got the build it was running pretty good on mediums setting(for my pc) during sp i got fps between 20 to 64 it continue dropping and going up.
I ran around d3dm4 getting good frames too and during the intro.
I'm going to keep testing it.
revelator

Post by revelator »

Let me know if something pops up :) and thanks for the report.

Actually hit a bit of a snag but i seem to have some trouble debugging it.

Used a few of the bugfixes from dhewm3 and now it crashes whenever i fire a weapon with a debug assertion failure. Well thats all and well but the assert cant tell me where it crashes :lol:
and the debugger cant either lol.

If someone got some time id be happy to upload the source, maybe someone can figure out why the bugger suddenly got major unstable.
anonreclaimer

Post by anonreclaimer »

reckless wrote:Let me know if something pops up :) and thanks for the report.

Actually hit a bit of a snag but i seem to have some trouble debugging it.

Used a few of the bugfixes from dhewm3 and now it crashes whenever i fire a weapon with a debug assertion failure. Well thats all and well but the assert cant tell me where it crashes :lol:
and the debugger cant either lol.

If someone got some time id be happy to upload the source, maybe someone can figure out why the bugger suddenly got major unstable.
Hey reckless can you test some of the maps in testmaps?
revelator

Post by revelator »

Sure but where can i get them ? :)

Btw i fixed the bug it seems.

omp threads are very picky with the compiler optimization vars, i had to create my own set of macros to print out where Things started to go wrong and Doom3 was creating so many threads that vcomp simply stalled :S.
anonreclaimer

Post by anonreclaimer »

reckless wrote:Sure but where can i get them ? :)

Btw i fixed the bug it seems.

omp threads are very picky with the compiler optimization vars, i had to create my own set of macros to print out where Things started to go wrong and Doom3 was creating so many threads that vcomp simply stalled :S.
Cool thats good news.

The testmaps come with doom 3 there in pak000 in maps/testmaps there are three maps.

Edit:: I update oggvorbis and I got the minizip update from the dhewm3 branch.
Well the minizip update was in 64 bit I so the id software function was brought over from the unzip.cpp.
and I add one line from from there modified version.I also put in there modified version of filesystem and file.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/cbzud ... brarys.rar
revelator

Post by revelator »

Slowly adding stuff back in from my port also (hopefully avoiding the one that broke ati Cards) :).

Atm i think its better to ditch openmp support untill someone with some insight in threading can have a look at it cause its massively buggy with the implementation i got.

I have created the basic framework though so its easy to add back in when someone gets it to run stable.

The build i uploaded actually did not have omp enabled cause i forgot to set the openmp flag in the compiler :S
i have tried enabling it and while the engine loads it crashes immediatly if you use any kind of weapon. (thread stall).
revelator

Post by revelator »

woo that sure looks purty now :)
revelator

Post by revelator »

One odd bug left.

vid_restart is not working with ttimos latest source, instead of reebooting the engine it exits Oo.