What is the deal with Valve?

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
daemonicky

What is the deal with Valve?

Post by daemonicky »

Valve seems to be disliked there, what is the deal with Valve?
Think, touch, movetype, solid, traceline ...
CocoT

Re: What is the deal with Valve?

Post by CocoT »

daemonicky wrote:Valve seems to be disliked there, what is the deal with Valve?
Valve is disliked here? I don't think it's the opinion of the majority of people here, but I might be wrong...
Neurotic Conversions - New location: Update your bookmarks!
daemonicky

Post by daemonicky »

CocoT wrote:
Valve is disliked here? I don't think it's the opinion of the majority of people here, but I might be wrong...
I apologize for sounding too general. Some people there dislike Valve and I have seen several jokes about them. I think these people are very skilled so I guess they know what they are saying. :)
Think, touch, movetype, solid, traceline ...
revelator

Post by revelator »

nothing against valve (besides keeping me wait forever for episode 3) :twisted:

hehe no id rather see something totally awesome then them rushing the game :)
avirox

Post by avirox »

Same, nothing against Valve here.. they continue to make great quake mods \o/
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

avirox wrote:Same, nothing against Valve here.. they continue to make great quake mods \o/
lol

Actually, I like a lot Valve work. But yeah, HL3/Ep3/whatever is about to steal DNF hours concurs title of vaporware.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Spike

Post by Spike »

Gabe used to work for microsoft. that makes the entire company evile! EVILE I TELL THEE!!!

seriously though, valve are much better than some companies.

I just don't like steam's start-at-boot-and-steal-all-ram-even-when-you-want-to-play-other-peoples-games behaviour, though this dislike dates back to when it was really pretty much for halflife only, and can be reconfigured, but mneh.

I'd like em more if they released a linux version of steam due to the effects that might have on other games companies, even if the first version of it was aimed more for configuring private dedicated servers, but I really doubt that will happen. :)
behind_you

Post by behind_you »

Maybe it's all their restrictions on using their content. I don't understand why people get pissed at that. Everyone has restrictions.

Personally I love valve because of Half-Life
mh

Post by mh »

Nothing deeply against Valve themselves, but I do find HL-style gameplay intensely boring and have a dislike for the extent of the influence that has had on the FPS genre. behind_you nailed it with the licensing restrictions part as well (especially when it comes to tools) although that's not too big a deal as HL formats don't go nearly far enough in solving the worst problems of Q1 formats, and as a commercial entity they're perfectly entitled to protect their IP in this way if they so wish (they sure don't owe me anything).

Steam sucks but that's the business/distribution model they're using. No drama there, these things always come in cycles and sooner or later something different is going to take over the market.

Valve/HL fanbois can be shockingly dim sometimes, but that's true of fanbois all over the world. No big deal either.

So no, Valve are just a successful company who have hit a gameplay style and distribution model that is wildly successful but not to my personal taste. That's all just a bit "meh"; Guinness make a beer that's not to my personal taste either but I neither hate them nor feel the need to pursue an internet vendetta against them for it.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Nahuel

Post by Nahuel »

The best game of valve :D :D
hi, I am nahuel, I love quake and qc.
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

Oh god the texture choices. *gouges out eyes* 8)
scar3crow
InsideQC Staff

Post by scar3crow »

I'm struggling to read the title of this thread without using the voice of Jerry Seinfeld.
...and all around me was the chaos of battle and the reek of running blood.... and for the first time in my life I knew true happiness.
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

nothing was ever good about DMC.
dreadlorde

Post by dreadlorde »

What was the point of dmc? Quake still exists so...yeah. I don't get it.
Ken Thompson wrote:One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
Get off my lawn!
mankrip

Post by mankrip »

Back then when Half-Life was released, there were a lot of HL versus Quake fanboyism everywhere. People used to compare both games a lot, so there was a lot of criticism on both sides.

The same happened after Counterstrike came out for Half-Life. Some people hated it, while its fanboys hated Quake-style multiplayer games instead.

Also, there's Valve's denial of using any Quake code in Half-Life 2, which IIRC was proven to be not true.

People also used to compare Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 a lot, since both games were being developed at the same time, and this also enforced fanboyism on both sides.

Overall, it's just a cultural thing. The same happens between Marvel and DC, Nintendo and Sega, and so on. Sometimes it may be something fun to joke about, and this doesn't mean we actually dislike either company/game/whatever.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube