Floating effect!

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
blubswillrule

Floating effect!

Post by blubswillrule »

I'm not really sure if anyone else has noticed this, but in ProQuake psp, there seems to be an issue with models, or bounding boxes, or something of the sort, "floating" in mid air.

(the player camera also being a little high, though I'm not sure the engine is at fault for this though)

The first 2 things that come to mind that could be causing this problem would be...

-For some reason only character models are smaller (or maybe the camera being a higher gives the resemblance of it being smaller)

-The model origins are set too low (making the model move upwards)

Screenshots comparing pc and psp below

pc version:

psp version:
(same progs.dat & progs files)
obvious difference there, what do you guys think might be causing this?

I have reasons to believe the the player height is thrown off... or the models are all just shrunken down... observe the difference from pc to psp.

pc version:

(be jealous of fullbrights)

psp version:

note how the machine looks considerably smaller in the psp version, could it be that the player is taller?, or that the model is smaller?

(weird difference in lighting as well... probably just darkplaces settings.)

well anyways, thanks for taking the time to read.

Any thoughts/ideas on what could be causing this?
A truly rewarding experience for an AI coder: watching your ai navigate the map... makes all the time invested in the code worth it :)
Spike

Post by Spike »

choice of hull is determined by model size.
offset of hull is determined by the entity's mins field.

when doing setmodel, always always do a setsize afterwards.

your player.view_offs field looks wrong.
blubswillrule

Post by blubswillrule »

well, setsize is already called after setmodel, also, the viewoffset is the same (the same progs.dat)
A truly rewarding experience for an AI coder: watching your ai navigate the map... makes all the time invested in the code worth it :)
Baker

Post by Baker »

Doesn't seem likely to be the model (provided the models are the same on the PSP and DarkPlaces). Nor the engine (I mean Quake doesn't have that problem on the PSP).

Does the mod use a DarkPlaces extension like scale?
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
blubswillrule

Post by blubswillrule »

no, It does not use dp extensions.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Have you loaded the mod in a third engine to isolate whether it working in DarkPlaces is "DarkPlaces fault" or it not working on the PSP is the PSPs fault?

I mean, right now you have 2 variable groups but no control group. There without running it in a third engine to see what happens, you don't really have enough information to point a finger at anything.

Personally, I'd use this engine ---> http://quake-1.com/files/engine-sources ... e_plus.zip since it isn't very modded (but does have HLBSP support) and is close to GLQuake functionality, like the PSP.

If it works in that like it does in DarkPlaces, it is definitely an engine issue on the PSP side. But if you load it up and it looks like the PSP engine with stuff "floating" then that tells you something.

Either way, you should load it up in a third engine so you know what to point the finger at it as the source of the problem.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..