Engine bots

Discuss Artificial Intelligence and Bot programming.
leileilol

Engine bots

Post by leileilol »

Is there any advantage an engine-side bot could have with functionality over a bot based only in QuakeC?

- Opportunity for an AAS system
- Separate item weights, personality for each bot
- useless things like making something ELIZAey for bot chat
- This list is a silly brief retread of Gladiator Bot features
- no hackery up of mods to put a qc bot in (Testing convenience? doesn't seem effective on menu-based stuff like TF, and FVF...)

No, this isn't a Globot vs Frikbot discussion. It's something rarely explored further regarding Quake...
i should not be here
Junrall

Post by Junrall »

- Increased ability to detect surrounding terrain and terrain surfaces?
Good God! You shot my leg off!
Electro

Post by Electro »

Seperate item weights can be achieved via qc, in fact that's preferable.

Same goes for personality files, can just parse external files, I was doing this for shockbot.
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
Team Xlink

Re: Engine bots

Post by Team Xlink »

leileilol wrote: - no hackery up of mods to put a qc bot in (Testing convenience? doesn't seem effective on menu-based stuff like TF, and FVF...)
I like what you mentioned there, you can use it in any mod without QuakeC editing for the most part.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

I'd advise some form of customizable ability to use items / buttoncombos via external files for Painkeep / TF / Duke / Quake2 style items and also stuff like "double tap then hold to use jetpack" moves. (see hellsmash super jump move for the last bit)
Junrall

Post by Junrall »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:I'd advise some form of customizable ability to use items / buttoncombos via external files for Painkeep / TF / Duke / Quake2 style items and also stuff like "double tap then hold to use jetpack" moves. (see hellsmash super jump move for the last bit)
An engine side bot using external files would most definitely be an advantage. Very customizable.
Good God! You shot my leg off!
Spike

Post by Spike »

A downside of engine-side bots is that they don't understand the rules of the mod.
Which means they can never play CTF or CuTF.
Knowing which weapons the bot already has may also be an issue if you want sensible item weightings.

Routing is a definite advantage for engine bots though. Easier to manage nodes, routes, etc. Having said that, the bot still needs to know how to activate/open doors and things.

Primary advantage of engine-side bots is that you can more easily track when the bot last saw quad get picked up, and time rearrival to get it when it next respawns, rather than just looking at the item regardless of whether the bot was within hearable distance.
Stuff like that.
Urre

Post by Urre »

Make builtins for navigation, do rest in QC.
I was once a Quake modder
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Urre wrote:Make builtins for navigation, do rest in QC.
^^^This.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
GiffE

Post by GiffE »

Urre wrote:Make builtins for navigation, do rest in QC.
I second that motion!
Navigation was one of the hardest things, I found, to figure out.