Quake Expo 2011

Talk about the Quake Expo and Quake Speed events.
Chip

Post by Chip »

CocoT wrote:Ok - I figured out what happened: my password was 12-character long but when I registered for the booth, it stopped at the 10th character. Maybe adding "max. 10 character" might help :)
Thanks for this, I'll add this hint.
QuakeWiki
getButterfly - WordPress Support Services
Roo Holidays

Fear not the dark, but what the dark hides.
Chip

Post by Chip »

necros wrote:i'm using firefox 4.0.1 with noscript. i have allowed all scripts but the event page looks like this to me:
http://necros.slipgateconstruct.com/temp/events.jpg

any idea what's up?
Exactly It's a cache issue. SHIFT+REFRESH will fix it. I changed the header image into a narrower one.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

negke

Post by negke »

A link to tastyspleen.net (Q2) on the qx site?

And could you tell the Q2Cafe guys that they are encouraged to create booths and present their ongoing map projects even if they aren't finished yet. Just to generate some interest and show that there's still a tiny bit of activity for Quake 2. It also would be great if they could maybe make a sort of top list booth where the best Quake 2 single player and multiplayer maps and mods of all time were presented or something like that. (This would be good for Quake 1 too!)

I signed up there to tell them myself after seeing the screenshots in the Qx thread, but the account approval is taking ages. Apparently they don't expect to see new faces anymore after all this time. Or the notification is just swallowed by all the clutter and fugliness of the forum... :?
necros

Post by necros »

thanks about the cache thing. fyi: for FF4 it's CTRL+F5. looks fine now. :)
raynorpat

Post by raynorpat »

I will be there, hopefully releasing some qw code and doing a quick mod for quake2.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Chip has been doing a fine job with the Quake Expo thus far. I think it is cool someone who a couple of years ago was "new" stepping up to the plate again and again the way he has.

'Nuff said.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Chip

Post by Chip »

Thanks Baker.

Some changes to the QExpo frontpage and a fresh challenge (fan fiction). Events are visible on front page so that everyone has time to write/map/develop.
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

Wixen1 [Q2C]

Hello everyone!

Post by Wixen1 [Q2C] »

Ok, I have signed The Quake2 Café up and made a booth. Hopefully I can get some of our active mappers to come up with ideas to put in the booth as neither me or the Q2 Café has done this before!.
I think its a great idea...15 years...man!, now I'm feeling really old :shock:
-W1
:wink:
The Quake 2 Café Admin

Chip

Re: Hello everyone!

Post by Chip »

Wixen1 [Q2C] wrote:... I have signed The Quake2 Café up ... I think its a great idea ... 15 years ... man!, now I'm feeling really old
Congrats! We're waiting for some great maps then!
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

Wixen1 [Q2C]

Post by Wixen1 [Q2C] »

negke wrote:
I signed up there to tell them myself after seeing the screenshots in the Qx thread, but the account approval is taking ages. Apparently they don't expect to see new faces anymore after all this time. Or the notification is just swallowed by all the clutter and fugliness of the forum... :?
As a result of a few people from another forum has been stalking, spamming, starting feuds and even stealing identities of other members, we sadly had to sharpen our approvement criterions.
As these people has also started fake websites identical to some Quake forums using proxy or stolen/hijacked IP's, we now do a thorough examination before we activate a new member.
This is where you come in, as an inspection of your IP comes up with this result:
http://www.projecthoneypot.org/ip_89.204.137.226
Your account has not been activated for this reason.

As for the clutter and fugliness of our forum, we wanted to change it some years ago. But as 5 years of posts would have been lost, we decided to leave it as it was.

-W1
The Quake 2 Café Admin

negke

Post by negke »

Interesting.
I had a situation a couple of days ago where I visited a website and it told me my ip had been banned and I was like "wtf, never been here before". This is a temporary internet solution I'm on at the moment (prepaid mobile internet stick) since I left my old ISP. Apparently they share IP ranges with questionable servers or the service is also attractive for spammers and the like.

Well, now that you're here, let it be known that any sort of content - WIP or otherwise - will be appreciated (in case the site creates the impression that it's only for finished releases).
As for the clutter and fugliness of our forum, we wanted to change it some years ago. But as 5 years of posts would have been lost, we decided to leave it as it was.
I think I've read about this somewhere. Seeing the level of activity it's probably not really worth the trouble. However, that big embedded Youtube video at the top of the page is really unncessary or inappropriate in this sense..
Wixen1 [Q2C]

Post by Wixen1 [Q2C] »

negke wrote:Interesting.
I had a situation a couple of days ago where I visited a website and it told me my ip had been banned and I was like "wtf, never been here before". This is a temporary internet solution I'm on at the moment (prepaid mobile internet stick) since I left my old ISP. Apparently they share IP ranges with questionable servers or the service is also attractive for spammers and the like.

Well, now that you're here, let it be known that any sort of content - WIP or otherwise - will be appreciated (in case the site creates the impression that it's only for finished releases).
I think I've read about this somewhere. Seeing the level of activity it's probably not really worth the trouble. However, that big embedded Youtube video at the top of the page is really unncessary or inappropriate in this sense..
Thanks negke, I have already made a post about it in our forum, so let see what the mappers comes up with. :D

-W1

Ps..yeah..that youtube video is huge :shock: , just wanted to do something different..lol..maybe I should make it smaller or leave it out for a while..
The Quake 2 Café Admin

negke

Post by negke »

Chip, I'm setting up a first draft of my booth right now. The image uploading system is a bit awkward to use but it does the job. What I'm concerned about, however, is the fact that apparently every registered member, or those with booths anyway, seems to have full access of all the uploaded files and can modify or delete them. Is this true?

-The Add Image menu allows for aligning it left or right, but not centered?
-The numbers of the Ordered List features are not aligned to the rest of the text; they are nudged to the left.
-The editor window cuts off some two characters on the right side. This may be because I use a slightly bigger text size on Windows. But since the booths use the full width of the table, the editor window could do the same.
-Not important, but it would be nice if the "Booth updated" screen had a preview link so one doesn't have to go to "My booths" first.
Chip

Post by Chip »

negke wrote:Chip, I'm setting up a first draft of my booth right now. The image uploading system is a bit awkward to use but it does the job. What I'm concerned about, however, is the fact that apparently every registered member, or those with booths anyway, seems to have full access of all the uploaded files and can modify or delete them. Is this true?

-The Add Image menu allows for aligning it left or right, but not centered?
-The numbers of the Ordered List features are not aligned to the rest of the text; they are nudged to the left.
-The editor window cuts off some two characters on the right side. This may be because I use a slightly bigger text size on Windows. But since the booths use the full width of the table, the editor window could do the same.
-Not important, but it would be nice if the "Booth updated" screen had a preview link so one doesn't have to go to "My booths" first.
Yes, it is true that all images are shared among members. It's not a bug, it's a feature! Well, it was the only lightweight editor I found, and I did not bothered to implement some kind of private directories, as I was more than sure that the majority of members will use third-party image uploading sites. I'll look into it, though.

1. Use "left" or "none" for aligning images, and use the editor's "center" align.
2. The ordered list sucks. I'll fix it tonight.
3. Editor window is being fixed as we speak (or as I reply to your message).
4. Got it!
QuakeWiki
Roo Holidays

negke

Post by negke »

Well, it was the only lightweight editor I found, and I did not bothered to implement some kind of private directories, as I was more than sure that the majority of members will use third-party image uploading sites. I'll look into it, though.
I see. I thought maybe the system could automatically create a subfolder in images/ using the username which then only the corresponding user can access and modify. Though if it's too much work, then let's just hope for the best.

As it seems, I'm currently the only one besides you who uses it. But then again of the ~30 booths only four or five have actual content and images at the moment, all of which hosted remotely. Hosting the images on the site would make it easier to archive the entire thing of course.