"FitzQuake Plus": An Easy Engine To Compile

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

sweet, will you give a small walkthrough in the steps to correctly use them as you have implemented?
Baker

Post by Baker »

Well ... I'm thinking prefix the texture name with a "{" and use color #255 to indicate the transparent part.

I'm rather sure that's what Remake Quake does and also what Half-Life does. And quite nice that MH and gb + co. stuck with the prefix used in another game :D

I'll see if I can get this out tonight.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
mh

Post by mh »

Baker wrote:Well ... I'm thinking prefix the texture name with a "{" and use color #255 to indicate the transparent part.

I'm rather sure that's what Remake Quake does and also what Half-Life does. And quite nice that MH and gb + co. stuck with the prefix used in another game :D

I'll see if I can get this out tonight.
Yeah, that's what we do and the reason why is because it was already an established standard. Brushes using these textures really should go in bmodels too otherwise PVS will go crazy, but the engine code can support them on the world. In the future, when/if detail brushes work, this will be important.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Baker

Post by Baker »

Version 2 .... SDL build? Native Windows build? It is all the same source code now.

Kurok support. "Fence" texture support. HLBSP support. etc, etc.

http://quake-1.com/files/engine-sources ... lus_v2.zip
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

I decided to use Fitzkurok for my mod, and Jukki suggested I use this. All in all, thanks for making this :D

EDIT: It won't let me start the game at all. Everytime I click it, it says Quake has encountered a problem and needs to close. Then it asks me to send an error report. Does anyone know how the heck to fix this? DP works for me, But I want to use this engine.
revelator

Post by revelator »

ms runtime going fubar ? had this experience a load of times with the msvc8 and msvc9 runtimes :( look in windows error log.

if you have something from that quake engine saying the side by side configuration is wrong then you need an upated runtime.

im really happy they disregarded that model in msvc10 :)
Baker

Post by Baker »

Mexicouger wrote:I decided to use Fitzkurok for my mod, and Jukki suggested I use this. All in all, thanks for making this :D

EDIT: It won't let me start the game at all. Everytime I click it, it says Quake has encountered a problem and needs to close. Then it asks me to send an error report. Does anyone know how the heck to fix this? DP works for me, But I want to use this engine.
Please use the most recent link ( http://quake-1.com/files/engine-sources ... lus_v2.zip ) and self-compile a Windows-native build.

I didn't upload a binary for that one but you should be able to compile your own hella-easy.

Still, it is possible your DarkPlaces gamedata isn't compatible with a normal Quake engine and is causing the crash.

Lemme know.
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

There isn't any project files in v2. How the f*** am I supposed to compile this.
Baker

Post by Baker »

Version 2 uses CodeBlocks. I didn't have time to make a MSVC Express version last update.

The project file has the extension .cbp
To compile ...

Option #1: Code::Blocks + MinGW. Code::Blocks is a light and tight IDE that combined with MinGW uses the gcc compiler. The install is a mere 74MB. Download that at http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks ... -setup.exe . To compile, unzip the fitzplus.zip and then unzip the engine source zip contained within. Double click the FitzQuake_GCC.cbp file to open the project; press F9 to Build the binary and run. The End.
Mexicouger

Post by Mexicouger »

Ugh... I avoided downloading MSVC so much... Then I download it to work on porting some of the features from Revamped PSP to Revamped PC. Then I want to use Kurok instead, and it has problems...

I goto use this engine and now it requires codeblocks. Now I have to get codeblocks after i for-longed to get MSVC. I don't know what I should do now.

Also, I tried regular Kurok without modifying anything, and it surprisingly worked. I really wonder whats up.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Mexicouger wrote:Ugh... I avoided downloading MSVC so much... Then I download it to work on porting some of the features from Revamped PSP to Revamped PC. Then I want to use Kurok instead, and it has problems...

I goto use this engine and now it requires codeblocks. Now I have to get codeblocks after i for-longed to get MSVC. I don't know what I should do now.

Also, I tried regular Kurok without modifying anything, and it surprisingly worked. I really wonder whats up.
Code::Blocks is just a IDE. You can still using Visual Studio compiler with it.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Chrispy

Post by Chrispy »

Thanks a lot for this release. I really wanted to get frag.machine's chase cam code in this but now it's already been done, w00t. :)
mh

Post by mh »

fitzquake_plus_mh.zip

I took Bakers "FitzQuake Plus" version 1 code and hot-rodded it for fast lightmaps support. This will now run over 30 times faster on Intel hardware in scenes with lots of dynamic or animated lights; smaller improvements can be expected on better hardware.

I also fixed up some errors in the MSVC project files
- Selecting a Debug configuration now makes a Debug build
- Removed the manifest file
- Removed browse information (not needed with MSVC 2008)

Before: 8 FPS
After: 260 FPS

Use your favourite diff tool to figure out what was changed; it's very little really.

You're welcome.
We had the power, we had the space, we had a sense of time and place
We knew the words, we knew the score, we knew what we were fighting for
Baker

Post by Baker »

mh wrote:I also fixed up some errors in the MSVC project files
- Selecting a Debug configuration now makes a Debug build
- Removed the manifest file
- Removed browse information (not needed with MSVC 2008)

Before: 8 FPS
After: 260 FPS

Use your favourite diff tool to figure out what was changed; it's very little really.

You're welcome.
Haha ... thanks! :D
Jukki

Post by Jukki »

Looks like nazi zombies portabl is goingto change using this engine because darkplaces to psp connection doesnt work. Once more baker saved my game <3