ProQuake 4.70 PSP Build

Discuss programming topics for the various GPL'd game engine sources.
drm_wayne

Re: ProQuake 4.70 PSP Build

Post by drm_wayne »

Do you think it is possible to add the nice dithering effect from the goldsrc or dquake engine to your playstation portable engine?
And the imageloader from dquake (jpeg)?
Baker

Post by Baker »

In the last 5-6 pages of this thread, you can find external texture format info and the discussion about that.

I'm not sure what the dithering is from goldsrc/dquake. Does this have a cvar name in DQuake? I really have no idea what this is.

I'd need to see a screenshot and get a description to know what that is.
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
drm_wayne

Post by drm_wayne »

Oh sorry, it was not Goldsrc, its indeed called "portablesrc"...
http://www.moddb.com/games/gateway

Same for DQuake, but they are both very instable on the psp.

I am not 100% sure but that dithering seems to be some kind of "make look your gfx better filter" selectable from the optionsmenu in the psp engines.
Some commercial games seems to use this technic in their games too (Phantasy Star Portable 2 and some more).
My PSP is not here but i can make a screenshot later if you want.
Baker

Post by Baker »

drm_wayne wrote:My PSP is not here but i can make a screenshot later if you want.
If you could, I still don't know what this is.

(And if the option is in the menu in DQuake, if you have the extract menu option name ...)
The night is young. How else can I annoy the world before sunsrise? 8) Inquisitive minds want to know ! And if they don't -- well like that ever has stopped me before ..
drm_wayne

Post by drm_wayne »

Dithering ON:

Dithering OFF:

And yes, its in the Options menu of Portablesrc and DQuake :o
Baker

Post by Baker »

What is option name in the menu? I don't have a slim so loading up either of these engines and looking is something I cannot do.
drm_wayne

Post by drm_wayne »

Dithering ON/OFF, in both engines ;)
I think there is a Phat build too from DQuake.
Baker

Post by Baker »

I have to look and see what that feature is. Could be just a texture filter. Or might be something more complex.
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

don't add it if it eats up needed memory..
Baker

Post by Baker »

Tutorial on adding r_dithering based off the DQuake implementation.
drm_wayne

Post by drm_wayne »

thx, got it working now :)
The only problems now are the palette problems when switching from q1bsp to hlbsp and the memory allocation errors.
drm_wayne

Post by drm_wayne »

Any news on a new PSP build?
Baker

Post by Baker »

A PSP update will happen. However, at the moment it looks like a few weeks off.

I had hoped to do it sooner.

Will think about options for quick "bug fix release" fixing the 2 things I dislike the most about the prior build.

No promises. My immediate free time is rather scarce.
drm_wayne

Post by drm_wayne »

How is the current status?
Maybe you can release the fixed sources so we can add it to the current ProQuake 4.70 8)
(Mainly the random crashing and the palette bug) :)

Tried to fix and add stuff by myself, but it just made things even worser xD
(Textureloader from DQuake, but it ended in a mess xD)
Baker

Post by Baker »

When my mod is done, I will want it to run on the PSP just because. So the engine will be updated.

The completion of my mod and the update to the PSP engine are rather linked. I know this isn't the answer you were hoping for, but for my personal motivation I need to have something the engine work is "for". While this answer sucks, it also sucks that I am essentially the only active person who does PSP engine stuff. Which isn't something I ever wanted to be, I was kinda hoping the large body of high quality info in this forum might induce others to the learn the deep details of the PSP engine. And for a while (2009-2010), it looked like that was working. But it isn't working, since I'm the only one. I wish there were 5 of me.

Then again, if I actually got wishes ... I'd wish for 5 Spikes, 5 MHs, 5 LordHavocs, 5 R00ks and a partridge in a pear tree.