sine function

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
sp4x0r

sine function

Post by sp4x0r »

silly question, but I'm stupid and tired, my brain isn't working. Is there a sin() function in qc? I'm pretty inept at programming generally, so I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for.

I want to spawn monsters at random points on a circle on the x/y plane around an entity. They can't spawn too close to the origin of the entity, otherwise they'll telefrag it. So I was thinking something like:

Code: Select all

newent.origin_x = ent.origin_x + (sin(angle) * minDistFromEnt);
newent.origin_y = ent.origin_y + (cos(angle) * minDistFromEnt);
Does that make sense? Any help appreciated.

I guess it doesn't even really need to be a circle, just far enough outside the entity's hitbox that the new entity doesn't cause problems.
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

There's no sin() or cos() function in standard QuakeC (although they do exist in DP and probably in FTE as built-ins, too). If you want to make a fully portable code, I'd suggest you to make something like:

a) make the central point entity face a random direction (randomize self.angles_y);
b) make it to fire a traceline from its origin to a destination at a random number of units from its origin (check the shotgun fire function in weapons.qc for examples of how to do that);
c) use trace_endpos as the spawn coordinates for your new entity;
d) restore self.angles_y (optional).

This approach has the advantage of make sure your destination won't be a solid spot. Of course, you'll still need to check if there's enough room for your about to spawn entity.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Spike

Post by Spike »

local vector v;
v_y = angle;
makevectors(v);
newent.origin = ent.origin + v_forward * minDistFromEnt;
is basically equivelent
ceriux

Post by ceriux »

or you could just do it with mapping and just have a trigger set off spawns in a circle?
frag.machine

Post by frag.machine »

Spike wrote:

local vector v;
v_y = angle;
makevectors(v);
newent.origin = ent.origin + v_forward * minDistFromEnt;
is basically equivelent
^^^ What Spike said.
I know FrikaC made a cgi-bin version of the quakec interpreter once and wrote part of his website in QuakeC :) (LordHavoc)
Error
InsideQC Staff

Post by Error »

gnounc

Post by gnounc »

What he said ^^
sp4x0r

Post by sp4x0r »

Oh, excellent. Thanks for the help everyone.
Sajt

Post by Sajt »

mathlib.qc is if you need sin(). But you don't, you want makevectors. makevectors does for you what you wanted to do with sin and cos, so using mathlib would be redundant and wasteful (since mathlib uses makevectors to generate sin/cos anyway).
F. A. Špork, an enlightened nobleman and a great patron of art, had a stately Baroque spa complex built on the banks of the River Labe.