Quake 4

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ajay

Quake 4

Post by ajay »

Early reviews, well one anyway, appear to be negative, however someone over at quake3world as got the game and appears, in a little "omfgQ4RoXs" kind of way, seems to love it.

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11824

Urre

Post by Urre »

I personally don't have the strength to go on with the "it's not quake so it must suck" attitude, I'll play and take it for what it is. The screenshots and videos don't look all that interesting though.
I was once a Quake modder
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

I've been reading the PC Gamer review of it and I must say, it does sound worse than I had even expected.
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

the main complaints from the reviews is that they expected a Unreal Tournmanet 2004-esque Arena sequel with alternate firing, bots and arenas/tournaments, but just got a Q2 game instead.

apparently, a sp game with 9 multiplayer maps IS NOT ENOUGH MAPS. Doom3 had 5, Q1 had 6, and Q2 had 8, and all those were an adequate amount, but 9, which is much more than the other games, IS NOT ENOUGH? WTF? And no one complained when HL2 had no multiplayer on it's release!
i should not be here
Urre

Post by Urre »

CheapAlert wrote:the main complaints from the reviews is that they expected a Unreal Tournmanet 2004-esque Arena sequel with alternate firing, bots and arenas/tournaments, but just got a Q2 game instead.

apparently, a sp game with 9 multiplayer maps IS NOT ENOUGH MAPS. Doom3 had 5, Q1 had 6, and Q2 had 8, and all those were an adequate amount, but 9, which is much more than the other games, IS NOT ENOUGH? WTF? And no one complained when HL2 had no multiplayer on it's release!
This is why I don't read reviews. Well I do, sometimes when I feel like getting frustrated. Game Mags are only good for news.
I was once a Quake modder
timbobsteve

Post by timbobsteve »

Bought it... playing it now... played MP last night online.... not very good... perhaps mods would make it better... I am sure with the engine people could make some good mods (Last Man Standing for Doom3)

Anyways... its not bad... great single player... nice storyline... nice graphics... but if you wanted a MP game... you better not get it until the mods start flowing in... ATM there is absolutely no reason to play it online..... I still play Q3 and COD online over this.

Don't get me wrong, I like this game as a Single Player game... not as online.... ;)

Just my 2 cents.

-Timbobsteve
FrikaC
Site Admin

Post by FrikaC »

CheapAlert wrote:the main complaints from the reviews is that they expected a Unreal Tournmanet 2004-esque Arena sequel with alternate firing, bots and arenas/tournaments, but just got a Q2 game instead.
The main complaints of the reviews I read are that it is basically exactly like Quake 2. That not enough innovation and new material is in it.
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

FrikaC wrote:
The main complaints of the reviews I read are that it is basically exactly like Quake 2. That not enough innovation and new material is in it.
Whaddaya expect with a concept like inept cyborgs in rusty space? ;)

I don't plan on getting it, primarily due to it's discrimination against pre-win2000 operating systems (even though it could run on it), rather high overall system requirements, squad-based carp (Me likez0rs Serious Sam / One man vs. Army of Darkness style >=D), the fact that Q2 space marines have a rather ugly 'do, and no altfires for anything at all. :P

If I wanna play inept rusty cyborgs in space, I'll just break out me old copy, preferably with "The Reckoning" or "Castles of Stroggos III".
SkinnedAlive

Post by SkinnedAlive »

Dr. Shadowborg wrote:the fact that Q2 space marines have a rather ugly 'do, and no altfires for anything at all. :P
No problem, they pretty much look the same as doom 3 marines in Q4 anyway. :P
Dr. Shadowborg
InsideQC Staff

Post by Dr. Shadowborg »

SkinnedAlive wrote:
Dr. Shadowborg wrote:the fact that Q2 space marines have a rather ugly 'do, and no altfires for anything at all. :P
No problem, they pretty much look the same as doom 3 marines in Q4 anyway. :P
Which is part of the reason I neither have nor intend to get Doom 3.

I'm probably far more likely to get something like Serious Sam 2, DNF, or Sin Chronicles.
Electro

Post by Electro »

... and let's not forget that q2 had no multiplayer maps on release either.
Benjamin Darling
http://www.bendarling.net/

Reflex - In development competitive arena fps combining modern tech with the speed, precision and freedom of 90's shooters.
http://www.reflexfps.net/
leileilol

Post by leileilol »

Electro wrote:

... and let's not forget that q2 had no multiplayer maps on release either.
I would mention that, but 3.14 was released soon after (containing cyborg and the 8 maps) and that's pretty much the standard retail version now.
i should not be here