Conquest Pause Code Fixed!!!

Discuss programming in the QuakeC language.
Wazat

Conquest Pause Code Fixed!!!

Post by Wazat »

You guys know the pause feature in Conquest that makes the game pause while you use the shop or menus? You don't?

*grumble, grumble*

Well anyway, I fixed a couple of really nasty, annoying bugs in the code that were causing some door wierdness. Here are two examples:

*In e1m3, door to the big elevator that lifts you to the demon & shambler battle just before the end... that door was opening and closing very annoyingly when the player was near, when it should have stayed open forever. This and other doors like it are fixed now!

*In e1m4, in the room with slime puddles on your right and left, the doors above the slime puddles open up and the ogres inside start shooting grenades at you. Once you've pressed the buttons on the floor above (the ones that make spikes shoot at you when you're on them), it allows you to drop into the little alcoves where the ogres were. The doors, however, had a weird bug where they would CLOSE on you once you dropped in, trapping you in forever and ever. Very aggravating. This and other doors should be fixed now, forever and ever.

This was my one grievance with the pause feature -- goofy door mischief. Now that the bug is fixed, as far as I know the pause code is now flawless. Three cheers for Wazat!

. . . .

*crickets chirping*
. . . .

Well not all at once now!

. . . .

*one cricket chirps*
. . . .

Well, I'm happy anyway... ^_^
And if you guys are interested, it may be time for another Conquest release.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Nocebo

Post by Nocebo »

i registered to express my joy
wasn't that the kink that killed the vagrant story mod?
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

wasn't that the kink that killed the vagrant story mod?
Indeed it was, although back then the pause code wasn't nearly so advanced. When I decided to use it for Conquest, I reworked it and even started from scratch on doors. I finally came up with a system that worked really well, but that bug has haunted me for some time since. I'm glad it's fixed now.

Hmm... It would be cool to start up Vagrant Story Quake again. I have so many abandoned mods yearning for my attention.
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
Tei

Re: Conquest Pause Code Fixed!!!

Post by Tei »

I am actually playing "Anarchy Online", and while I play this game, I often think about Conquest, because the "mporpg" feel can be added to quake very easy. And Conquest as a few ideas that will add this flavour to quake. Say ...the shops, or the town.

Anyway I guess you wazat whats not purposelly designing a singleplayer mod with mporpg feelings. So maybe a new mod can be created based on your work, and with even more rpg elements. Say... monsters loot. Even more hub and persistence, etc..

/me cheers Wazat 3 times
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

Actually Tei, a friend and I were talking, and we realized most of the elements -- the complex shield system, shops, pausing the game to let the player think (some menus, like giving your monster commands, will do that), raising monsters, etc -- make Conquest a prime candidate for a MMORPG, and if I wasn't making it for Quake, I'd probably try to turn it into one.
Urre

Post by Urre »

It is possible to make mmorpg style mods with Quake. The major problem is the limited player amount per server, even with DP's 64 players. It'd still be cool though. Just set up multiple dedicated servers on different ports on the same machine, and make level exits stuffcmd a connect to another server with another level. Player stats would be transferred by frik_file. DP also has it so that it doesn't exit the game you're currently in if the server is unresponsive. Should probably add a way to access files on a central server first, for player stats, so you can have multiple servers on different locations. This has been discussed for Prydon already, someone just has to do it.
I was once a Quake modder
Tei

Post by Tei »

I dont think can be a good idea to target real MPOrpg ( multi-player-online rgp) because its a giganteous efforts and lots and lots of people waste enourmeous ammounts of space time and the result its ZERO.

But the feel its interesting. The BOTS are interesting because give the multiplayer feel to singleplayer. I guesss the mmorpg gameplay feel can be recreated on singleplayer:

- Persistence: Your character save stats, save location, etc. continue trough sessions.

- Forward Only: If you delete a object, its vanished forever. No savegame at all. This its important, because most singleplayer games are NOT Forward Only. With most sp games you can test killing a foe with all weapons, even if low ammo. Or try removing items to get gold, etc.. This destruct the feel of belief. This why morpg feel real, because you can't undo actions, like in real world.

- Character Progression: As a rpg, its fun to get more candys as you progress. You play this games even if these games are boring, because you want to become "powerfull" and explore even unknom locations,or have uberpowers.

I really think that codding a real morpg can be a timewaste, because you lack hosting, etc. But having a persistence-forwardonly-rpg mod can be interesting.

Anyway we already have Prydon Gate, that its lotsa fun, so maybe a new rpg its not needed. ; P
Gilgamesh

Post by Gilgamesh »

... or if somebody put a random dungeom (maze) generator, this will be a Quakeish Nethack! :D
#EOP