Strange

Discuss anything not covered by any of the other categories.
ajay

Strange

Post by ajay »

I've got a fairly large complicated level, all works well and there's no slowdown or other problems, there's only 3 other models + func_plat in it, and I'm 99% confident I've not borked any of the code (in fact it was working fine after the last code change, and only stopped since I've added to the level.)
Anyway, basically when I get about a 1/3 of the way into the level, I stop being able to attack, I can jump; eveything else works, and there's no otehr noticeable problems - framerate, etc.

Any ideas?

Cheers, ajay :)
Tei

Re: Strange

Post by Tei »

ajay wrote:I've got a fairly large complicated level, all works well and there's no slowdown or other problems, there's only 3 other models + func_plat in it, and I'm 99% confident I've not borked any of the code (in fact it was working fine after the last code change, and only stopped since I've added to the level.)
Anyway, basically when I get about a 1/3 of the way into the level, I stop being able to attack, I can jump; eveything else works, and there's no otehr noticeable problems - framerate, etc.

Any ideas?

Cheers, ajay :)
Very interesting bug!, I have no idea. First even seen.

run with -condebug, do "edict 1" or something similar, to check the player coord, then post the result here

I guess your map its corrupt and you are outside the network are or something really bizarre.

Or maybe its your mod bumping on some unknom quake limit.
Or maybe its a bug in your code that corrupt some random qc pointer (string?). Test this on DP (I hope DP block acces outside the normal QC area).

my mail its 421621 at ingta.unizar.es if you want to debug it. I can create for you a ftp account to send me the files. Sound like a engine bug. A very rare one.
Wazat

Post by Wazat »

What's your compiler? Frikqcc has given me problems in the past when I hit some limit in my number of functions etc, so I turned on a bunch of options and the mysterious phantom bugs went away.

If it's a really big map, then maybe you're having wierd problems (ie, 4096 limit).

You might also be messing up your .attack_finished... perhaps there's some trigger you're touching, or some monster you're fighting, or whatnot...

I hope something here helps you!
When my computer inevitably explodes and kills me, my cat inherits everything I own. He may be the only one capable of continuing my work.
r00k

Post by r00k »

Is it possible that, a trigger's firing is actually pointing to the entity touching it? Like if the trigger was to shoot something or cause an explosion ONCE? Try adding a line in weapon.qc that will centerprint anytime u press the fire button,and when self.attack_finished is not finished like :

Code: Select all

if (self.attack_finished > time)
{
     centerprint(self, "ATTACK_FINISHED not Finished!");
     return;
}
or something like that

then u can narrow it down by swinging the axe and touching triggers, until the bug occurs...
then retry that trigger again 1st and see if it's the cuplrit...